Turn on thread page Beta

What's the longest time anybody has gone without sleep? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I was just wondering about this. The longest I've ever gone without sleeping is a tame 48 hours. But recently I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping, getting about 3 hours' sleep for the last two weeks.

I looked on the net but I can't really find a definitive answer. My friend told me some person in America went 8 weeks without any sleep at all and kept busy by playing basketball (lol).

ReputationRep:
    Well, that's not possible.

Real record is: 18 days, 21 hours, 40 mins

http://www.abc.net.au/science/sleep/facts.htm

EDIT: google is your friend.

ReputationRep:
    World record is definitely not 8 weeks. I think the above sounds about right, it was like a week or two

And the guy was an incoherant mess by the end of it, but interestingly only needed something lioke 24 hours sleep to be "normal" again and to pay off the debt.

ReputationRep:
    Saw a programme once about some guy who got brain damaged and as a result the part of the brain that puts you to sleep stopped functioning, ended up dying as a result. Surely he has the record?

ReputationRep:
    "The record holder reported hallucinations, paranoia, blurred vision, slurred speech and memory and concentration lapses." I had all of those except paranoia after just over 24 hours awake! (which is the longest ive gone) I react really badly to lack of sleep.

Anyone else remember that channel 4 sleep deprivation show? which was kind of like big brother but people just had to stay awake for as long as possible and they had to complete various tests every day to see how the sleep deprivation was affecting them. And they set off a big alarm if anyone closed their eyes. Quite interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I'm relatively certain I read about a guy in India who hadn't slept in 20 years or something

ReputationRep:
    My record is only 2 nights and a day without sleep, haha was watching soooo many movies that holiday!

ReputationRep:
    I'm yet to sleep.

17 years and still going.

ReputationRep:
    Around 3 nights when I was 14 I didn't sleep for two nights and then had a really hard time getting to sleep on the third, think I only got an hour or two. I had hallucinations :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    I'm relatively certain I read about a guy in India who hadn't slept in 20 years or something
    He'd be dead after a few weeks
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    The longest I've managed is 40 hours or so, and by then I was hallucinating and it was almost impossible to remain awake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toddlers crossword)
    "The record holder reported hallucinations, paranoia, blurred vision, slurred speech and memory and concentration lapses." I had all of those except paranoia after just over 24 hours awake! (which is the longest ive gone) I react really badly to lack of sleep.

Anyone else remember that channel 4 sleep deprivation show? which was kind of like big brother but people just had to stay awake for as long as possible and they had to complete various tests every day to see how the sleep deprivation was affecting them. And they set off a big alarm if anyone closed their eyes. Quite interesting.
    thing is..werent the rewards for challenges like 10 minute sleep breaks?I always thought sleeping, even for 10 minutes, kind of cancels out not sleeping for x amount of hours, was an interesting program though

ReputationRep:
    18 hours, man that was crazy I thought I'd die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)
    He'd be dead after a few weeks
    http://www.oddee.com/item_65612.aspx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnator)
    thing is..werent the rewards for challenges like 10 minute sleep breaks?I always thought sleeping, even for 10 minutes, kind of cancels out not sleeping for x amount of hours, was an interesting program though
    I looked it up and apparently they let them all sleep for a few hours twice during the week, because they were hallucinating...that would definitely 'reset' you back to not being sleep deprived, even if the 10 minute naps didnt. Im disillusioned with the whole show now lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    http://www.oddee.com/item_65612.aspx
    Very reputable source.

ReputationRep:
    What about Fatal Familial Insomnia? The sufferer doesn't sleep for months before dying. It sounds like a horrible disease. Does anyone know anybody who has been affected by it?

ReputationRep:
    4 days

ReputationRep:
    i've gone a night without complete sleep
    but a week with about 2 hours a night = walking zombie

ReputationRep:
    About 36 hours. I was sooo drowzy.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.