Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Networking is the dark art of pretending to be friends with people in order to advance one's own self - even though that self has precisely nothing to offer the world barring an extraordinary aptitude for self-advancement.

In times of boredom when an internet connection is near I find myself sitting on facebook and browsing through people's profiles and judging them and even more shamelessly comparing them to myself. This is incredibly egotistical, egocentric and shallow. I care to much about how others perceive me and I am working on eradicating this weak element of my persona which I lean back on in times of trouble. Like, for instance when I am bored. If you are focused and passionate in life about something petty things don't seem to feature.

Even more bizarrely I find getting tagged with a beautiful women and I look good gives me a huge-self esteem boost. How depressing is that that the most active generator of self-esteem in my life is pictures generated online and hopefully seen by other people? That's practically what other people are "thinking" about me gets me really excited.

I suppose what I'm asking is for people who don't give a damn about facebook and don't get status anxiety, how do you do it or how do you get over it? I know that it is pathetic and I don't like it. I want to be myself and ignore other perceptions.

ReputationRep:
    Bumped as this took a while to get approved.

ReputationRep:
    You're just describing the average facebook user :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    yeah... sadly, average facebook stuff going on here
    we're all the same.. unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    You never can entirely, but striking a balance is something that we all strive to achieve, and hardly if ever manage to do so...

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should try limiting your FB use...like only logging in a couple times a week. Will be hard at first but eventually you'll forget about it, trust me!

ReputationRep:
    Didn't get the response you were hoping for, did you OP? How's that for your ego?

ReputationRep:
    delete facebook

ReputationRep:
    Very true about this being an average Facebook thing. I have one "friend" from back at school, he updates his status at least 6 times a day - and they always seem to have a meaning like they are at some of his inner friends, so I was there expecting him to be hyper-popular, I went on his profile and he didn't have a single comment from somebody else anywhere on there, just hundreds and hundreds of updates. I think he must have a desperate need for attention, but he isn't getting it.

However, I wish to note here that since joining Facebook three years ago I have updated my status just once, when I got my Uni offer. I next plan to update it on August 20th. I see it as being somewhat self-indulgent, I don't mind one or two a day, I'm interested in how my friends are doing after all, but half a dozen seems a bit much! Like they are forcing their lives on you.

ReputationRep:
    I go on facebook everyday , and don't have any of these traits. I use FB to keep in touch with mates , not to compare myself to others .

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.