Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Indian Curry Stains on Delicate Dress watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a minor crisis: I had a curry tonight and stupidly dropped a whole load of the colourful sauce on my new All Saints dress. In the bathroom I already soaked it in water, but when it dried up the stains were bright yellow. At home I soaked it in warm water with a washing tablet (have nothing else in the appartment) and it was still yellow when it dried, then I scrubbed it with soap and I think it's going to be yellow still.

Did I already ruin it? What should I try next? The dress was really quite expensive and I've only worn it once.

ReputationRep:
    if you could afford the dress (you said it was really expensive), take it to the dry cleaners?
    and thats why i dont like indian food lol

ReputationRep:
    freshieeeee lol ! its the tumeric stain so the best trick to clean turmeric stains is to use 2 tsps of sprite (soda) on the affected area and rub gently with a wet paper towel. If this does not work..you can wet the fabric, then with some diluted bleach ( 2 parts water - 1 part bleach) drop it gently onto the stain - soak the item. Then wash as usual. If it is not white 100% cotton - squeeze some lemon juice onto the stain and then wash as usual. Turmeric is a very very hard stain to remove.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pri-x)
    if you could afford the dress (you said it was really expensive), take it to the dry cleaners?
    and thats why i dont like indian food lol
    Well, I'm out of money because of it. :p: With expensive I mean expensive for a poor student like myself, of course.

I guess I will try taking it to the dry-cleaners tomorrow anyway, but I'm still worried it may be too late.

ReputationRep:
    oohh i seeee
    do u still have the receipt? lool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G550NDH)
    freshieeeee lol ! its the tumeric stain so the best trick to clean turmeric stains is to use 2 tsps of sprite (soda) on the affected area and rub gently with a wet paper towel. If this does not work..you can wet the fabric, then with some diluted bleach ( 2 parts water - 1 part bleach) drop it gently onto the stain - soak the item. Then wash as usual. If it is not white 100% cotton - squeeze some lemon juice onto the stain and then wash as usual. Turmeric is a very very hard stain to remove.
    Thanks for the advice! I will try that.

ReputationRep:
    indian curry contains a food colourant which ive been told is a permanent stain (unless the drycleaners can sort it, i dont know)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pri-x)
    oohh i seeee
    do u still have the receipt? lool
    I think so, but I doubt they'd take it back - it's glaringly obvious what happened! :redface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaz_jaz)
    indian curry contains a food colourant which ive been told is a permanent stain (unless the drycleaners can sort it, i dont know)
    Curry is obviously evil. If only it wasn't tasty as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fand)
    Curry is obviously evil. If only it wasn't tasty as well.
    its not evillll !!! i love curry ... i would eat it every day if only pizza wasnt as good !

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.