Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Or do you get so buried under coursework and deadlines and parties(lol) that there's barely any time to think ?

I think i'll probably get a job, so how easy do you think it'll be ? Seeing as it's london and all. When i went to an open day i went to the nearby royal albert hall, to ask for directions to the high street and ended up working my charm with one of the girls at the door - do they hire from the uni ? It'd be dead convenient and all that.

ReputationRep:
    The vast majority of students I knew at Imperial didn't have time for a job. If they did have one it would probably for the Union at the bar or something.

ReputationRep:
    Well i suppose the union would be even more convenient Do you know if it pays well ?

ReputationRep:
    I've worked part time in the Union, but I never had much time for it and it doesn't pay well. I know a few people who worked in the RAH, but they also weren't paid well and the hours are rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    I've worked part time in the Union, but I never had much time for it and it doesn't pay well. I know a few people who worked in the RAH, but they also weren't paid well and the hours are rubbish.
    How much is "not well" ? And how do people manage without a job ? I'm not desparately in need of one because i have relatively substantial savings, but if i didn't then i'd imagine i'd be quite broke without.

ReputationRep:
    Working in the SAC pays £5.73 per hour, but it is very flexible. (student activities centre)

ReputationRep:
    If you know a bit about computers you can work in the IT helpdesk which pays £11 an hour I heard. Minimum of 1 four hour shift a week apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunspoon)
    If you know a bit about computers you can work in the IT helpdesk which pays £11 an hour I heard. Minimum of 1 four hour shift a week apparently.
    cha ching thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunspoon)
    :eek: Where do I apply?

ReputationRep:
    It's somewhere on the website, they advertise every year... my job this year was effectively umpiring hockey games for the hockey club. £15 a game, each match is 70 minutes long, 10 minutes in between matches and 5 minutes half time plus free transport to Harlington and back. In the end to do 3 matches is about £45 for 4-5 hours 'work'.

ReputationRep:
    I worked for £5.75 an hour in the stationary shop and newsagents last year. It was nice because you can just choose whatever hours you want and fit it nicely before/in between/after lectures.

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to easily have a job and do uni at the same time.

'Bothered' with it? Well a job is more of a neccessity really if you want to have money to go out and do recreational stuff in general. If I had a unlimited source of money though, I suppose I wouldn't work. You shouldn't do more work than you should have to

ReputationRep:
    Wow, it sounds like there are some seriously good opportunities I shall be looking into. Do you have to apply before the term starts for any of the College-related jobs? And would they need my P45 from my previous job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emc2)
    Wow, it sounds like there are some seriously good opportunities I shall be looking into. Do you have to apply before the term starts for any of the College-related jobs? And would they need my P45 from my previous job?
    I didn't need any previous references for the student activities centre. Don't steal my job though :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    Not that I can speak for everyone and I myself certainly did not have a job but I'd recommend against it. It's quite heavy stuff you're doing and at the end of the day you need some rest, when you're not actually studying.

The only one that comes to mind, as people have said, is the union, which is not greatly payed but quite accessible and lenient working hours.

My friends going to fashion colleges and the likes had jobs in bookstores, starbucks etc, and they had NO spare time. Imagine if you did a degree which required even more time, such as engineering...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ponjavic)
    Not that I can speak for everyone and I myself certainly did not have a job but I'd recommend against it. It's quite heavy stuff you're doing and at the end of the day you need some rest, when you're not actually studying.

The only one that comes to mind, as people have said, is the union, which is not greatly payed but quite accessible and lenient working hours.

My friends going to fashion colleges and the likes had jobs in bookstores, starbucks etc, and they had NO spare time. Imagine if you did a degree which required even more time, such as engineering...
    :pierre:

I worked 9 hours at Waitrose every week for the first year of my Physics degree and it never did me any harm. No, what did me harm was the fact I did no work and went out drinking all the time... :flute:

Seriously, the hours you'll put into a job are nothing like the number of hours you'll only otherwise waste anyway, by either going out or bumming around aimlessly procrastinating. I even took overtime fairly regularly. It's better to be earning money than it is to just waste countless hours achieving nothing, which will inevitably take up a lot of your time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCD)
    :pierre:
    I worked 9 hours at Waitrose every week for the first year of my Physics degree and it never did me any harm. No, what did me harm was the fact I did no work and went out drinking all the time... :flute:
    That seems feasible. It is not a normal job however, barely part time. Any job which takes < 10h a week should be fine or even a weekend only job. I am talking more about maybe normal pub jobs which would have you working 5-6 hours every other night, now that might hamper your studies as much as drinking all the time would

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I see. :yy: Yeah, I agree, a more regular job would be a proper *****.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Imperial College
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.