Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Started driving a Vectra, finding gear changes from 1st -> 2nd very rough? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    For the past 4 years, I've been driving a 1.0L Corsa. I'm now driving a '98 1.8L Vectra, which is a dream in comparison, but I've found that changing from first to second isn't very smooth at all. The stick will be literally kicked out of first, and when going into second the car will just kick, and the transition won't be smooth at all. The only way to stop this from happening is by accelerating very slowly, or by REALLY slowly releasing the clutch, but so slowly that I'd probably burn out the clutch.

None of this happens when changing to any other gears though.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    not that surprising, sure you are not just having that inital struggle everyone has with a new cluthc/gearbox?

take ti to a garage if it feels totally abnormal.

ReputationRep:
    Try holding the stick in gear for a few seconds while you boot it.

ReputationRep:
    Just give it a bit of time but if its still persisting after you get used to the car then it could be a worn bush on the gear linkage which isn't too bad a job to do.

I bet the 1.8 feels like a rocket compared with the 1.0 Corsa.

ReputationRep:
    when i went from a 1.5 civic to a 1.8 vti s it took a couple of days of driving to adjust. Gear changing wasn't smooth but it's ok now. Probably just need to get used to it. The next few days and weeks will tell you what it is.

ReputationRep:
    Is the 1.8 the model which suffers from frequent dual mass flywheel failure?

*edit* Scratch that, it's the 1.9 diesel model isn't it? Sorry for the confusion.

ReputationRep:
    An I.T neek in a Vectra lool, so standard.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reassurance, guys. I'll give it a week or so and it should become more natural.

ReputationRep:
    Stop using the clutch for a while.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.