Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Less interest in marriage = more likely to die alone? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was on another forum earlier and came across this thread where someone was looking for girls on Craigslist. Apparently you can "hookup" with people there. I checked it out and they have different categories. You have the usual sluts and slappers (male and female) there gasping for something, but then you as you browse you find other postings of slightly older and more mature individuals with titles like

"Wanting to grow old and die with someone"

For anyone whose ever been in love, or has an understanding of it, you can't help but feel contemplative at a sight like that. The contrast between the needs and desires could not be so different. So my question is, do you think having less interest for marriage or a life long commitment increases your chances of being alone in the future? Does having the mentality of only being interested in serious relationships make it more likely you find someone to grow old and die with?

I realise that most of us here are young and rarely think so far ahead into the future, but are these years in our lives the most important in defining our future?

What do you think

ReputationRep:
    I think I would say so - you're more likely to have a relationship with someone who has good qualities if you're looking for something serious.

ReputationRep:
    There is absolutely no doubt that the topic statement is true.
    There may be some rare rare rare rare exceptions (one in a trillion) though. But don't count on you being that exception.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Well....more likely to die not married?

ReputationRep:
    Id rather grow old and die alone... than spend the rest of my life stuck with one person!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoundDevastation)
    Id rather grow old and die alone... than spend the rest of my life stuck with one person!
    This.

ReputationRep:
    If you want someone to spend time with and grow old with, then you are going to look for people who fit that bill and make sure you settle down. If you are less certain then there is always a chance you will go along in life happily but never take the risk and make that commitment.

ReputationRep:
    i sometimes feel in the same way about this topic.

I dont want to settle down with someone, and i dont get all excited about weddings, and it makes me phyically sick at the moment when i walk into a wedding dress shop with my sister, (whom is 3 years younger than me, and who is getting married this comming november)

This then in turn sparks up feelings in my brain on if im ever going to want to get married, or itially fall in love again (as i have been hurt in the past) or if im destend to stay alone forever. Hmmmm

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.