Turn on thread page Beta

How to pick between two subject at University watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18, took double ICT and Media at A Level. Waiting for my results in August. Got a job as a learning support assistant for 1 year so taking a gap year.

I'm either applying for Psychology or Computer Engineering for 2010 entry, but do not have a clue how to choose which one.

Psychology - I feel I'd enjoy and be very interested in, however would find it hard not studying any such subjects before, bar sociology at GCSE (D)

Computer Engineering - Used to find really interested, but lost interest in technology in the last few years, though I'm good at technology/computers and would find it much easier then Psychology.

Not sure what I want to do when I'm older. I'd enjoy helping others, such as working with children in schools, being a councilor, psychology or possibly a teacher, but not sure.

How do I choose? Help!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Looking at your A-level subjects, it would seem like Computer Engineering would be the logical choice. If you havn't studied psychology, your thoughts on being able to enjoy it and be interested in it can't be too conclusive. If I were you, I'd go for computer engineering, plus psychology is for hippies.

Go for combined / joint honours if you are finding it hard to choose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    Go for combined / joint honours if you are finding it hard to choose
    I'm really ignorant - how does this actually work? =/

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be able to manage a join honours. It's either one or the other unfortunately. Then again, it might be neither when I get that brown envelope on 20th August.

(Original post by Yasmeenax)
    I'm really ignorant - how does this actually work? =/
    Joint honours is usually where you study both subjects equally. Combined honours is usually where you take two subjects either equally, or spend more time on one (the major subject) than another (the minor subject).

(Original post by PointEffect)
    I wouldn't be able to manage a join honours. It's either one or the other unfortunately.
    Joint honours is the same amount of work as a single honours degree (or is supposed to be). It's not the same thing as a double honours course where you achieve the same standard in both subjects as you would when studying them as single honours degrees.

Your choice anyway and stay positive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    Joint honours is usually where you study both subjects equally. Combined honours is usually where you take two subjects either equally, or spend more time on one (the major subject) than another (the minor subject).

Ohh, right! Thanks. That's brilliant - I thought that all you were able to do was to take two lesser subjects together. :woo:

I wonder if uni's are hesitant as far as this goes, though? Must be expensive, too...

ReputationRep:
    if you want to work with children or as a counsellor, psychology is the obvious choice. A computer engineering degree seems silly, if those are your goals.

Why don't you take a psychology A-Level in your gap year?

(Original post by Yasmeenax)
    I wonder if uni's are hesitant as far as this goes, though? Must be expensive, too...
    Why would it be expensive? You take the same number of modules as any other student, just spread across two subject areas rather than one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    Why would it be expensive? You take the same number of modules as any other student, just spread across two subject areas rather than one.
    Sorry, I misunderstood. Realised this after I read your other comment :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    if you want to work with children or as a counsellor, psychology is the obvious choice. A computer engineering degree seems silly, if those are your goals.

Why don't you take a psychology A-Level in your gap year?
    Because I got offered a years contract as a LSA, working with kids, which I think is good work experience, and offers like that don't come up often! I could always do an A Level in Psychology the year after, but I'd be another year older.

ReputationRep:
    Flip a coin. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Because I got offered a years contract as a LSA, working with kids, which I think is good work experience, and offers like that don't come up often! I could always do an A Level in Psychology the year after, but I'd be another year older.
    is there anything that's stopping you from doing both? it is only one a-level. you said you wanted to go into counselling/psychology, but the fact that you haven't really got any relevant a-levels might cause you a few problems, both in getting an offer and adapting to the course. Taking a psychology a-level would show you what it's really like to study psychology, whether you have an aptitude for it, and would help you get an offer if you chose to pursue it.

doing a psychology degree would seem like a better fit for your chosen careers, but you don't really know what you're letting yourself in for.

You could take GCSE psychology during your gap year working with kids and see whether you enjoyed studying it. This place does the GCSE psychology by online learning so you wouldn't have to attend classes in person - just study whenever you had free time.

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother doing a Psych A-level, it would be a waste of time. Flip through some textbooks to make sure you're actually interested in the subject.

As long as you have atleast ABB you should be able to get into a half decent uni. I'm not sure what "double ICT" is.. You need to speak to some admissions departments and see if they'll accept it as two a-levels. If not, you can always look at foundation courses.

But, to be honest, if you're wanting a career in Psych, you're looking at up to 6 years at university with a lengthy gap in between because 99% of psych students "wanna be a clinicul psychologyst lol!!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Don't bother doing a Psych A-level, it would be a waste of time. Flip through some textbooks to make sure you're actually interested in the subject.

As long as you have atleast ABB you should be able to get into a half decent uni. I'm not sure what "double ICT" is.. You need to speak to some admissions departments and see if they'll accept it as two a-levels. If not, you can always look at foundation courses.

But, to be honest, if you're wanting a career in Psych, you're looking at up to 6 years at university with a lengthy gap in between because 99% of psych students "wanna be a clinicul psychologyst lol!!"
    I'd wanna go into Educational Psychology if I was going as far as masters, which is why I'm keeping this job as an LSA for now.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.