Turn on thread page Beta

Do the Welsh hate the English? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alphanumeric1927)
    Most places worth going to in Wales are down south. You should be fine. As long as you dont start abusing the Welsh you should find most people to be happy and welcoming.
    have a good trip.
    That's nonsense. The only beautiful parts of Wales are in the North. Alright, there may be some nice places down the west coast, but that's about it.

North Wales;

ReputationRep:
    I love the Welsh and the English. Especially the girls. I have no prejudices against any of them both. I have never thought that it is possible that they hate each other.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe this thread! Do you actually expect some random welshman to come up to you in the street if they hear your accent and have a go at you or something?! We're not that bad, honestly!
    Actualy, the majority of welsh people are very friendly, so you should be fine!
    What part of south Wales you off to?
    I think the welsh people hate the english no more than the english hate the welsh, if hate is the right word, which i don't think it is.
    Enjoy your stay mewn Cymru! :o:
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forbidden Fruit)
    I'm going there next week, do you get a lot of abuse if they hear your English accent? I'm referring to small towns, not big, multicultural cities like Cardiff.
    nooooo, we like the english i dont see what the big fuss is about with everyone thinking the welsh hate you!

ReputationRep:
    Nope.
    I'm Welsh. I am very very patriotic, and would probably be classed as a "welsh nationalist". However, I go to uni in England, and my girlfriend is English.
    The rivalry is just friendly.

(Original post by AllAboutMe)
    Personally I don't hate an english person just because they're english. If they hate the welsh and have a 'I'm better than you because I'm english' attitude then I hate them
    This

(Original post by ajp100688)
    Theres no hatred there, it's a friendly rivalry. If anything the English-Welsh relationship is much more amiable than the English-Scottish relationship.
    And This

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Everyone hates the English
    True dat

ReputationRep:
    Only if you make fun of the accent. Or mention leeks.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alphanumeric1927)
    Most places worth going to in Wales are down south. You should be fine. As long as you dont start abusing the Welsh you should find most people to be happy and welcoming.
    have a good trip.
    Except the Rhondda. I joke, I joke.

OP, Not really unless you go in all guns blazing with those sheep references...
    Especially as down south wales, there tend to be a more variety of people rather than say up North Wales where there are more welsh speakers who tend to be more patriotic.

ReputationRep:
    Not so much as individuals but more as a whole country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Symbea)
    The English have no problem with the Welsh, I'd wish y'all would return the favour!
    That is not true.
    I'm not saying all the English do, but I've certainly encountered a few...

This thread reminds me of this song- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9uMJovuA_Y :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I'm a quarter Welsh, yay - my Gran was from the Valleys

I've always got the impression that most of the Welsh nationalism is from the north and central areas, and that it was political pressure from these parts that led to the widespread adoption of the Welsh language in schools etc, whilst all public documents, information, signs etc have to be bilingual. 20 years ago pretty much nobody in the south spoke Welsh, apart from the old and those in isolated rural parts.

I think it's positive to retain important cultural differences from the English, but not so sure so much money needed to be spent on enforcing bilginualism where nobody actually needs everything to be printed also in Welsh to make their daily lives easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forbidden Fruit)
    Don't know the name (being taken down with family), it's South Wales, though.
    South Wales your ok, its north wales that some communities are racist toward the english. Walk into some pubs in north wales and suddenly no one knows how to speak english as soon as they have heard your accent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaytwizzle1000)
    Obv I know everyone who lives up in the valleys aren't idiots. But the majority in mainstream media on TV are just utter idiots, with borderline indian accents and an IQ of 3.
    Why d'you care?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    Welsh valley folk with Indian accents? good lord whats going on in the valleys??
    The welsh valleys accent can sound quite Indian when very strong.
    I've noticed that myself!

ReputationRep:
    It all comes down to the individual.

ReputationRep:
    All Welsh towns have a certain number of idiots. As said before, you should be ok down South.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobJ93)
    All towns have a certain number of idiots.
    Fixed for you
    The same is the case everywhere. I've had a bit of it given to me during my time in Bath at uni for being Welsh. Most of it friendly, but there have been a few idiots around the place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Fixed for you
    The same is the case everywhere.
    Fair point!

ReputationRep:
    They hate the English? But I love the Welsh. :cry:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.