Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not anonning because I know it'll take a while to be cleared by a mod, so I'm just hoping none of my friends happen to read this :laugh:

Hmm, okay, I'm not really sure how I can phrase this... so forgive me if what I describe is a little hazy.
    Basically I'm a VERY habitual person. I develop habits incredibly easily and its very, very difficult to break out of them.

Off the top of my head;
    - Biting my nails [I've managed to stop this]
    - Cracking my knuckles
    - Picking the skin around my nails
    - Stretching my fingers/toes weirdly
    - Blinking rapidy
    - Picking at my gums where they meet my teeth
    - Rubbing my eyes
    - Biting the inside of my cheek
    - Grinding/clenching my teeth [my dentist has told me I have to stop this]
    - Pushing air past my sinuses as I breath
    ...and I also tend to whistle a lot.

Now you're probably just thinking I'm weak-willed or something, but it's more than that. When I don't do some of these habits (note: not all at once), it kinda feels... tingly, and I have an extremely strong urge to do them - for instance when I get the urge to stretch my fingers, the gap between them feels tingly, then when I actually stretch them it feels... nice? Nice is the only word to describe it really :rolleyes:

Anyway what brought this to my attention was when I went to see my dentist, and he expressed concern that my teeth were beginning to wear down because I'd been grinding them together. At that point, I realised "crap! I'm damaging my body by doing all this, I have to stop!"

And I've been trying to stop all this, but every few minutes or so I get the urge to do one of these things and its very difficult for me to concentrate on anything else while I have that urge. Granted, I have been able to stop particular habits before, with a lot of effort, but usually after a while new ones evolve or old ones re-emerge.

Other than this I'd consider myself pretty mentally stable :laugh:
    So my question is - what's wrong with me? How can I stop it? I was thinking it could be a very, very mild form of obsessive compulsive disorder (after some light googling) but I hardly know anything about it so I can't come to such drastic conclusions.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

God help me if I start smoking :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Do a constructive activity to take your mind off it eg. a sport

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with you per se.

We all have bad habbits - you're nothing special son.

ReputationRep:
    Haha yeah we all have them, me especially.
    There's a name for having habits and the effect you're getting when you don't do it - but I forget! (And no not OCD!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aack)
    There's nothing wrong with you per se.

We all have bad habbits - you're nothing special son.
    That's good to hear

The problem with doing other things to take my mind off it is that I keep doing the habits subconsciously - when I'm doing any activity (typing, swimming, getting to sleep, you name it) I seem to have a number of these habits going at once. Even if I'm not thinking about it, I'm still doing it - it takes a conscious effort for me to not do it and even then it's difficult.

Thanks for the replies

ReputationRep:
    Hah i do almost all of those too! I just noticed that i was picking the skin around my nails, i suppose i do that all the time without realising

If thats what you do too, then it helps to try and become aware of when you're doing them, then when u notice you can stop yourself

I haven't had much luck myself with any of that, but i don't really want to stop =D

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.