Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend and I are going clothes shopping tomorrow :p:
    (okay, I'm going and dragging him along with me)
    I want to buy as many new items of clothing as possible but I am under quite a tight budget. He has suggested that we go to Primark...do they actually sell anything there of decent quality? Not trying to sound stuck up or anything, but what is actually worth buying from there that won't fall apart?
    Other than that, which high street stores should I look at? Which are your favourites?
    The choices are: New Look, River Island, Wallis, Republic/Schuh, Eclipse, Peacock's and TK Maxx.
    I'm basically looking for inexpensive, decent quality everyday tops and perhaps a pair of jeans, skirt or some shoes.
    Edit: omg I forgot Topshop!

ReputationRep:
    topshop!

ReputationRep:
    also yeah you can find some hidden gems in primark if you look hard!

ReputationRep:
    primark stuff doesnt fall apart if u look after your clothes!!!

ReputationRep:
    Topshop! Can be so expensive though I've merely looked at most of the stuff in there over the years. I have personally had to stick to places like New Look etc. But I end up not wearing that stuff after a while and it seems like a waste - I'm wondering if I should just get things from Topshop I will wear for much longer as it's money better spent.
    Meh... TK Maxx can have some great stuff though, as can River Island.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dubstepper)
    primark stuff doesnt fall apart if u look after your clothes!!!
    Okay lol, that's just what I've heard

ReputationRep:
    Primark is hit and miss with quality. Some things are absolutley fine, some things are useless. You can generally tell by picking them up and having a bit of a look at them though. Or if you are slightly unsure, try something on.

Regardless of whether you 'look after your clothes' some things are just poorly made, and they arent always the cheapest things in there either.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely go to Primark, you can get some really nice stuff there if you look properly. I shop there all the time and my clothes never fall apart. And if they did its simple enough to return them, so you haven't lost anything.

Out of the rest of your list, I'd only really bother with Topshop, Peacocks and New Look personally, then TK Maxx if I had any time left. I've never heard of Eclipse though so don't know what they're like. And if theres any big supermarkets around, try those. They always have really good value clothes, especially Asda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missaphrodite)
    My boyfriend and I are going clothes shopping tomorrow :p:
    (okay, I'm going and dragging him along with me)
    I want to buy as many new items of clothing as possible but I am under quite a tight budget. He has suggested that we go to Primark...do they actually sell anything there of decent quality? Not trying to sound stuck up or anything, but what is actually worth buying from there that won't fall apart?
    Other than that, which high street stores should I look at? Which are your favourites?
    The choices are: New Look, River Island, Wallis, Republic/Schuh, Eclipse, Peacock's and TK Maxx.
    I'm basically looking for inexpensive, decent quality everyday tops and perhaps a pair of jeans, skirt or some shoes.
    Edit: omg I forgot Topshop!
    monsoon, dp.

ps. Hi! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.)
    monsoon, dp.

ps. Hi! :p:
    Lmao stalking me Tom? :p:
    I would have listed those but they don't have them in town. Dorothy Perkins recently shut down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missaphrodite)
    Lmao stalking me Tom? :p:
    In your sweetest dreams.

ReputationRep:
    H&M if theres one about

ReputationRep:
    New Look is pretty good, I buy a lot of clothes from there. For everyday tops they are only £1 or £2 more than primark and in my experience they last longer and are of better quality. You can get bootcut jeans for £10 and they are pretty good, but if you wanrt jeans with any other style they are about £20 (so buy a pair of each and really its £15 a pair for some decent jeans) I believe New Look also have a sale at the moment.

Shoes are ok from primark, the ones I've bought recently are nice but I can't comment on how long they will last, as I haven't had them long. Some clothes I've bought last ages but some shrink easily and get holes in.

I never shop in Topshop, as when I've been in there and tried things on, it never suits my figure or fits quite right no matter what size I try. Never really find any clothes in Peacocks either.

River Island is an shop i occasionally buy from but can be expensive, however they have a sale on too.

I wouldn't shop in Wallis, the clothes seem to be aimed at older people but they will probably be of high quality.

Theres not a Republic/Schuh or Eclipse near me so can't comment. TK Maxx is quite far away too, so don't shop there often but bought a hoody there once that lasted me ages.

I really like New Look and paying a bit extra than in Primark is worth the extra quality. Also I agree with what someone said about Supermarkets, Tesco often has decent stuff in.

ReputationRep:
    Primark is perfect for basic t shirts. Never ever had a basic t shirt from there rip or fall apart or anything, and for £1.50 I don't think you can go far wrong. I wouldn't recommend jeans from there though, they lose their shape quickly.

Jeans and tops with patterns I would recommend from New Look, outside Primark they tend to be the cheapest.

For more quirky and less "basic" items (like, a blazer or something) it is best to go to TK Maxx if you are on a budget

ReputationRep:
    I've got £90 to spend this weekend and cba with cheap shops. I'm going to Topshop, Miss Selfridge and Warehouse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady_KaKa)
    I've got £90 to spend this weekend and cba with cheap shops. I'm going to Topshop, Miss Selfridge and Warehouse
    Hm, how much are you planning to get for that?

ReputationRep:
    A sock.

ReputationRep:
    River Island isn't THAT expensive and the stuff lasts. Depends whether you value lasting or you want a variety?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophyy)
    River Island isn't THAT expensive and the stuff lasts. Depends whether you value lasting or you want a variety?!
    Agreed, i buy my jeans from there. £40 but last forever.

[Don't any of you rich kids moan at me for thinking £40 is a lot of money btw.]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.)
    Agreed, i buy my jeans from there. £40 but last forever.

[Don't any of you rich kids moan at me for thinking £40 is a lot of money btw.]
    Ahhh it's all about the GAP jeans!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.