Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which is the best looking Parliament building, in the world?

Post pictures, and don't move this to Chat, Mods, as you cannot post pictures in Chat.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)

:rofl:
    Holyrood seriously isn't going to be a timeless iconic piece of architecture like more traditional parliament buildings. The same goes for the Welsh Assembly building. They're tasteless, non-functional buildings that go for abstract style over practicality.

ReputationRep:
    I think the Hungarian parliament building is up there with the likes of the Palace of Westminster.

ReputationRep:

Stormont. It's even got an amazing park and stuff around it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)

Stormont. It's even got an amazing park and stuff around it.
    Mmm... I quite like Stormont.

ReputationRep:
    If you think Holyrood looks bad outside...
    Stormont looks very nice.

ReputationRep:
    The United States Capitol
    just cos a few i like have already been done, plus i do like

ReputationRep:
    My vote goes for the Hungarian one.

ReputationRep:
    Two of my favourites - Hungary and Northern Ireland - have been mentioned. I'll contribute the Parliament of Canada:

My favourite features are the heavily-gothic Library of Parliament and the setting of the main building alongside the other two: the West Block and .

I also like the Parliament/National Assembly of Quebec for its simple elegance:

The Argentine Congress is also worth a mention for blending American and European influences:

(Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Holyrood seriously isn't going to be a timeless iconic piece of architecture like more traditional parliament buildings. The same goes for the Welsh Assembly building. They're tasteless, non-functional buildings that go for abstract style over practicality.
    I've criticised Holyrood a lot in my time, and I don't like it. I don't like its position, I don't like how - like many new buildings - it offends the Old Town and threatens our UNESCO World Heritage status, I don't like its style.

But still, Holyrood was never meant to be iconic, and the other designs commissioned for the building (some here, if you're interested) were similar. As a former Presiding Officer said, "it was never meant to exude power, it was meant to exude legitimacy".

Whilst I don't agree with the ideology and social stance behind that, I can see from such a perspective why they rejected New Parliament House (the Royal High School) with its Classical strength and dominant position overlooking the city and other alternatives like Donaldson's College which were available.

As for the Welsh Assembly - I quite like it actually.

ReputationRep:
    How about this:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMed)
    How about this:

LMFAO

ReputationRep:
    My vote goes to Parliament Hill in Ottawa:

ReputationRep:
    I quite like the classical simplicity of Province House, Halifax (Nova Scotia). It's quite an interesting building - was described by Dickens in his tour of the Americas - and has a neat library in it!

And, in slight contrast: the parliament building in Quebec City:

Well i wouldn't be a good indian if i didn't suggest it :rolleyes:

Another pic:

And an aerial one:

:coma:

ReputationRep:
    It has to be the Palace of Westminster.

ReputationRep:
    Canada is actually blessed with probably the highest concentration of great parliament buildings in the world. I've mentioned, as have many others, the Canadian Parliament - and Quebec. But here's another few:

British Columbia (x2)

Ontario

Alberta

Saskatchewan

Also, a new competitor: the old Parliament of Ireland until 1800, on College Green.

It's got too many little features for a photograph to really do justice to it. Also in Dublin is the old Royal College of Sciences, which was supposed to be used for a new, devolved Parliament of Southern Ireland within the UK in the 1920s. It never was, and it's now a building of the Irish Government:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Canada is actually blessed with probably the highest concentration of great parliament buildings in the world. I've mentioned, as have many others, the Canadian Parliament - and Quebec. But here's another few:
    Don't you just love the complete contrast between Georgian simplicity in the Maritimes and grandiose Victorian Gothic in the Western provinces! With Quebec somewhere in between with a more Continental style. Somehow completely in keeping with the temper of the people there too.

PEI:

New Brunswick:

ReputationRep:
    Holyrood may look ugly and weird from the outside, but it seriously is a hell of a lot better on the inside. Not that that matters for this thread I suppose! My favourite is Westminster

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.