Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Yeah. Kinda the point of federalism, that.
    Apologies I didn't write what I meant to say. I meant surely they don't need such grand buildings in every single state. Although perhaps i'm just underestimating the size/population of the states in Canada.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    Although perhaps i'm just underestimating the size/population of the states in Canada.
    The provinces/territories are huge (ranging from 5000 to 2,000,000 square km), while the population is relatively small (considering the size). Also, the provinces bring more money into the government than the actual parliament itself, so this last fact alone could explain the grandeur of the buildings.

Also don't forget Canada is the second largest country in the world (Britain could fit into Canada just less than 41 times)

ReputationRep:
    St. Peter's Bascilica.

Not technically a parliament building.. but it's a seat of power at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    Apologies I didn't write what I meant to say. I meant surely they don't need such grand buildings in every single state. Although perhaps i'm just underestimating the size/population of the states in Canada.
    To be fair, a lot of Britain's towns and cities have beautiful civic buildings: just look at Glasgow City Chambers. Not quite set back in the same way as a Parliament is, but certainly more than grand enough.

ReputationRep:
    gotta be bangladesh :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Two of my favourites - Hungary and Northern Ireland - have been mentioned. I'll contribute the Parliament of Canada:

My favourite features are the heavily-gothic Library of Parliament and the setting of the main building alongside the other two: the West Block and .

I also like the Parliament/National Assembly of Quebec for its simple elegance:

The Argentine Congress is also worth a mention for blending American and European influences:

I've criticised Holyrood a lot in my time, and I don't like it. I don't like its position, I don't like how - like many new buildings - it offends the Old Town and threatens our UNESCO World Heritage status, I don't like its style.

But still, Holyrood was never meant to be iconic, and the other designs commissioned for the building (some here, if you're interested) were similar. As a former Presiding Officer said, "it was never meant to exude power, it was meant to exude legitimacy".

Whilst I don't agree with the ideology and social stance behind that, I can see from such a perspective why they rejected New Parliament House (the Royal High School) with its Classical strength and dominant position overlooking the city and other alternatives like Donaldson's College which were available.

As for the Welsh Assembly - I quite like it actually.

Rafael Vinoly (New York) and Reiach & Hall (Edinburgh)

I like there one, on the link you provided.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattbroon)
    Rafael Vinoly (New York) and Reiach & Hall (Edinburgh)

I like there one, on the link you provided.
    Yeah, that was my favourite out of the lot. One criticism is that it looks a bit too much like some other buildings in Edinburgh, most notably the .

I'm not sure if I'd have opted for that over what was built, but neither are really appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    What Canada needs is a proper Royal Palace.
    Sarcasm aside, the Governor General's house in Quebec makes a mighty fine palace...a bit 'White House'-chic, but good; and Rideau Hall makes a spiffing palace too.

Shame HRH The Queen would be killed in Quebec; and she doesn't live in Canada enough to warrant it. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The parliament in British Columbia, Canada:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.