Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I was just attempting a question, which you can find here. I think I've got a solution, but I was hoping that someone would be kind enough to check it :o:
    (Original post by Question 3, BMO-2, 1998)
    Suppose x, y, z are positive integers satisfying the equation

\dfrac{1}{x} - \dfrac{1}{y} = \dfrac{1}{z},

and let h be the highest common factor of x, y, z.
    Prove that hxyz is a perfect square.
    Prove also that h(y-x) is a perfect square.
    Attempt
    Let  x = hX, y = hY, z = hZ, and so there is no positive integer greater than one that divides all three  X, Y, Z (Property A). Therefore

\dfrac{1}{X} - \dfrac{1}{Y} = \dfrac{1}{Z}

\iff ZY - ZX = XY \ \ \ (\ast )

Therefore we find that  Z|XY, Y|XZ, X|YZ.

Suppose that  \mathrm{gcd}(X,Y) = a, \mathrm{gcd}(X,Z) = b, \mathrm{gcd}(Y,Z) = c.

Let:
     X = ax_1, Y = ay_1 , such that  \mathrm{gcd}(x_1, y_1) = 1
     X = bx_2, Z = bz_1 , such that  \mathrm{gcd}(x_2, z_1) = 1
     Y = cy_2, Z = cz_2 , such that  \mathrm{gcd}(y_2, z_2) = 1

Let us show that \mathrm{gcd}(x_1, x_2) = \mathrm{gcd}(y_1, y_2) = \mathrm{gcd}(z_1, z_2) = 1.

Suppose \mathrm{gcd}(x_1, x_2) = f. Note that  f|X.  X|YZ \iff ax_1|ay_1Z \implies x_1|Z \implies f|Z. Similarly  X|YZ \iff bx_2|bz_1Y \implies x_2|Y \implies f|Y.*

But due to Property A, f must be one, and so \mathrm{gcd}(x_1, x_2) = 1. A similar argument goes for \mathrm{gcd}(y_1, y_2) and \mathrm{gcd}(z_1, z_2).

We can also show quite easily that  a, b, c are also pairwise coprime: suppose two of them have a common factor greater than one; then this divides all three of X, Y, Z, which is a contradiction.

Therefore,  X = ax_1 = bx_2 , and so  x_1 = b, x_2 = a \implies X = ab. We can similarly show that  Y = ac, Z = bc.*

Therefore  hxyz = h^4XYZ = (h^2abc)^2 . Q.E.D. 1.

Going back to equation  (\ast ) , we find that

ZY - ZX = XY \iff Z(Y-X) = XY \iff Y-X = a^2

And therefore  h(y-x) = h^2(Y-X) = (ha)^2 . Q.E.D. 2.
    I think that works, but I was most unsure at the two paragraphs I've ended with a small asterisk*.

Thanks in advance for any help :smile:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It all looks alright to me.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I was trying question 4 of this paper, and I think I've sorted out the first part, and although I'm pretty sure the route I'm trying for the second part isn't the intended one (involving a little calculus), I'm not sure why it's not working. If anyone help out, I'd appreciate it.
    (Original post by Question 4, BMO-2, 1998)
    Find a solution of the simultaneous equations

xy + yz + xz = 12

xyz = 2 + x + y+ z

in which all of x, y, z are positive and prove that it is the only such solution.
    Show that a solution exists in which x, y, z are real and distinct.
    First Part Attempt
    For positive numbers x, y, z, by AM-GM

4 = \dfrac{xy+yz+xz}{3} \geq \sqrt[3]{x^2y^2z^2}

\implies xyz \leq 8 \iff x+y+z \leq 6

\therefore (x+y+z)^2 \leq 36

\iff x^2+y^2+z^2 \leq 12 = xy+yz+xz

\therefore 2x^2+2y^2+2z^2-2xy-2yz-2xz \leq 0

\iff (x-y)^2 + (y-z)^2 + (x-z)^2 \leq 0

But since these terms can't be negative, they must sum to zero, meaning they are all equal, and hence we find that x = y = z = 2 is the only possibility for positive x, y, z
    Attempt at Second Part
    If we consider the polynomial

P(w) = w^3 - cw^2+12w-(c+2) , where  c = x+y+z, then x, y, z are the roots of  P(w)=0. For the roots to be distinct we need the turning points (two distinct ones) of this cubic to essentially be either side of the 'w-axis'.

So the turning points are at  P'(w)=0 and we find that these are at  w = \dfrac{c \pm \sqrt{c^2-36}}{3} ( c^2 > 36), and so we require the following two inequalities:

P\left(\dfrac{c -\sqrt{c^2-36}}{3}\right) > 0 and  P\left(\dfrac{c +\sqrt{c^2-36}}{3}\right) < 0

And after a lot of messy algebra (perhaps some of it is wrong), we end up with:

-2c^3+2c^2\sqrt{c^2-36} + 81c-72\sqrt{c^2-36}-54 > 0

and

-2c^3-2c^2\sqrt{c^2-36} + 81c+72\sqrt{c^2-36}-54 < 0

Then I attempt to combine the two inequalities and get

4c^2\sqrt{c^2-36}-144\sqrt{c^2-36} &gt; 0 \iff (c^2-36)\sqrt{c^2-36} &gt; 0 which seems to imply that we have distinct real roots to P(w) for any c > 6, c < -6. But this clearly isn't true, for example checking c = 7 and plotting the graph, there is only one solution (near 5). :confused:
    Can anyone lend a hand? Or perhaps suggest an alternate method? I can't seem to spot a nice algebraic method for this part. Thanks again for any help! :o:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I misread earlier, deleted as soon as I realised. For the last part, guess a value for one of them (sensible guess!) and see whether you can find a solution for the others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonM)
    Sorry, I misread earlier, deleted as soon as I realised.
    No problem! :smile:
    For the last part, guess a value for one of them (sensible guess!) and see whether you can find a solution for the others
    Cheers.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The solution  \left( -\dfrac{3}{2}, -5, -\dfrac{9}{13}\right) works fine. :smile:
    I'm wondering what you meant exactly by 'sensible'.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also curious. To me the obvious "nice" guess was x=-1, but that ends up with y = -1, z = 11/2.
    x = -2 gives 3 distinct roots, even though the other 2 roots aren't particularly nice.

Still, trial and error is a perfectly reasonable approach here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    To me the obvious "nice" guess was x=-1, but that ends up with y = -1, z = 11/2.
    Indeed. :erm:
    I'm also curious.
    Hmm. Considering the route I originally went for, I 'cheated' and used a computer for a little bit: I decided to plot a graph of the cubic discriminant against the value of c (some horrible quartic I think), and it showed that we get three distinct roots if x+y+z is somewhere in between -7.5 and -8.5, or something like that....

ReputationRep:
    One quick question on BMO-2 2009, whether the following method works :confused:
    (Original post by Question 1, BMO-2, 2009)
    Find all solutions in non-negative integers a, b to  \sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b} = \sqrt{2009}
    Spoiler:
    Show
    \sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b} = \sqrt{2009}\implies 2\sqrt{ab} = 2009-a-b

\implies 4ab = a^2+b^2+2009^2-4018a-4018b+2ab

\iff a^2 + a(-4018-2b)+(b-2009)^2 = 0

\therefore a = \dfrac{2b+4018\pm \sqrt{4(b+2009)^2-4(b-2009)^2}}{2} = b+2009 \pm 14\sqrt{41b}

But the plus-or-minus sign can't be a plus, otherwise a &gt; 2009, which is not possible (as we are taking positive square roots in the original equation), and so therefore

a = b+2009 - 14\sqrt{41b}

Therefore b is a square multiple of 41 (as otherwise a is not an integer), and so is a, as the equation is symmetric, but we note that  a, b\leq 2009 =41 \times 7^2

Therefore we find that  a, b = 0(41), 1(41), 4(41), 9(41), \dots 49(41) essentially.

So we end up with ordered pairs of solutions  \boxed{(0, 2009), (41, 1476), (164, 1025), (369, 656)}

ReputationRep:
    I have checked too closely but the method looks fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonM)
    I have checked too closely but the method looks fine
    :woo:

ReputationRep:
    When I (first) did this your method of squaring repeatadly was my option but glancing at it now this is far quicker;

\sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b} = \sqrt{2009} = 7\sqrt{41} and by leting  a = 41c^2 , b=41d^2 we are left with the far simpler problem c + d = 7

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanK22)
    When I (first) did this your method of squaring repeatadly was my option but glancing at it now this is far quicker;

\sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b} = \sqrt{2009} = 7\sqrt{41} and by leting  a = 41c^2 , b=41d^2 we are left with the far simpler problem c + d = 7
    I noticed that as well, but I don't think that strictly proves that a and b are of the form  41k^2; it doesn't really show why they can't be a number not of that form :erm: at least, I don't think it does.

ReputationRep:
    by squaring once you can see that either a and b have at least 1 common prime factor with an odd exponent (and possibly other prime factors that are not common with even exponents) or a and b are perfect squares with no common factors. Clearly it must be the former say a = c^2k and b=d^2k. The result follows

ReputationRep:
    sorry for the mini hijack but can anyone give me hints on this.

find the minimum value of |12^m-5^n|
    all i've spotted is
    Spoiler:
    Show
    that 5=2+3 12=2*2*3 so i did the binomial expansion of (2+3)^n but i couldn't see where to go. also n>=m

hints?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    sorry for the mini hijack but can anyone give me hints on this.
    No worries
    find the minimum value of |12^m-5^n|
    all i've spotted is
    Spoiler:
    Show
    that 5=2+3 12=2*2*3 so i did the binomial expansion of (2+3)^n but i couldn't see where to go. also n>=m

hints?
    Hmm. Well 12-5 = 7. And you should be able to show that  |12^m - 5^n| \not= 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 for all m and n (I'm guessing we're talking positive integers here), so the question is really are there any pairs (m, n) such that  |12^m - 5^n| = 1 ?

Further hint:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Consider the two cases  12^m - 5^n = 1 and  5^n - 12^m = 1 . In the first, can you show that m must be even (actually a multiple of 4)? Similarly, in the second, can you show that n must be even? Then after a little rearrangement, think difference of two squares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanK22)
    by squaring once you can see that either a and b have at least 1 common prime factor with an odd exponent (and possibly other prime factors that are not common with even exponents) or a and b are perfect squares with no common factors. Clearly it must be the former say a = c^2k and b=d^2k. The result follows
    Ah yes. This is true. :smile:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I was trying BMO-2, 1994, Q1, and I've met a block - I'm probably missing something obvious :confused:
    (Original post by Question 1, BMO-2, 1994)
    Find the first integer n > 1 such that the average of

1^2, 2^2, 3^2, \dots n^2

is itself a perfect square.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Well the average of the first n squares is:

\dfrac{(2n+1)(n+1)}{6}

So we're essentially looking for solutions to the equation:

(2n+1)(n+1) = 6m^2

Note that n+1 and 2n+1 are coprime, and also that 2n+1 is odd, so we have either the following cases:

2n+1 = a^2, n+1 = 6b^2 \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ 2n+1 = 3a^2, n+1=2b^2

Let's dismiss the first case.

n\equiv -1 \pmod{6} \iff 2n+1 \equiv -1 \pmod{6} , but -1 is not a quadratic residue modulo 6, so this is not possible.

So  n+1 = 2b^2, 2n+1 = 3a^2 \iff 3a^2 = 4b^2 - 1 = (2b+1)(2b-1)

So either  2b+1 = 3x^2, 2b-1 = y^2 or  2b+1 = x^2, 2b-1 = 3y^2 , x and y are both odd.

Now let us dismiss the latter case:  x^2 - 3y^2 = 2 \implies x^2 \equiv 2 \pmod{3} , but 2 is not a quadratic residue modulo 3, so this is not possible.

So essentially we are left to find the integer solutions of  3x^2 - y^2 = 2 , and I can't seem to do this (other than x = 1, y = 1, which results in n = 1).

I suppose I could look down the route of a massive case bash involving 3(x+1)(x-1) = (y+1)(y-1), but is there a nice approach?
    Any hints would be great :smile:

ReputationRep:
    Just grinding through options is doable (and what I think most people who get it out under time pressure end up doing - it's what I did).

There's some discussion of this question here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...=475982&page=2

ReputationRep:
    that is a quadratic diophantine equation that you can solve. Have you come across quadratic diophantine equations before?

infact, here is a site with step-by-step method with the above problem;

http://www.alpertron.com.ar/QUAD.HTM

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.