Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    Just grinding through options is doable (and what I think most people who get it out under time pressure end up doing - it's what I did).

There's some discussion of this question here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...=475982&page=2
    Thanks for that.
    (Original post by DeanK22)
    that is a quadratic diophantine equation that you can solve. Have you come across quadratic diophantine equations before?

infact, here is a site with step-by-step method with the above problem;

http://www.alpertron.com.ar/QUAD.HTM
    I've seen some basic Pell equations, but I didn't realise we could extend the idea like that. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    doing BMO 1 1996.

f(1)=1996 f(1)+f(2)+...+f(n)=n^2.f(n)

find f(1996) i get
    Spoiler:
    Show
    2/1997
    can anyone verify?

ReputationRep:
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed.
    yay

when answering i didn't justify that it was the sum of reciprocal triangle numbers, would i have been penalised for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    yay

when answering i didn't justify that it was the sum of reciprocal triangle numbers, would i have been penalised for this?
    Probably.

ReputationRep:
    yay

This was quite a nice question. I'm wondering how you do it using the sum of reciprocal triangular numbers though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    This was quite a nice question. I'm wondering how you do it using the sum of reciprocal triangular numbers though.
    make triangle number partial fraction and stuff cancels leaving the sum to n to equal 1-1/n

ReputationRep:
    make triangle number partial fraction and stuff cancels leaving the sum to n to equal 1-1/n
    Ah right. I just went with:
    Spoiler:
    Show
     n^2 f(n) = f(1) + f(2) + \cdots + f(n) \iff (n^2-1)f(n) = (n-1)^2 f(n-1)

\iff f(n-1) = f(n)\dfrac{n+1}{n-1}

\iff f(n-2) = f(n) \dfrac{n+1}{n-1} \times \dfrac{n}{n-2}

Generalising this:

\iff f(n-k) = f(n) \dfrac{n+1}{n-1} \times \cdots \times \dfrac{n-k+2}{n-k}

But we get lots of things cancelling...

\therefore f(n-k) = f(n) \times \dfrac{n(n+1)}{(n-k)(n-k+1)}

Setting k = 1995, n = 1996, we get the answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    Ah right. I just went with:
    Spoiler:
    Show
     n^2 f(n) = f(1) + f(2) + \cdots + f(n) \iff (n^2-1)f(n) = (n-1)^2 f(n-1)

\iff f(n-1) = f(n)\dfrac{n+1}{n-1}

\iff f(n-2) = f(n) \dfrac{n+1}{n-1} \times \dfrac{n}{n-2}

Generalising this:

\iff f(n-k) = f(n) \dfrac{n+1}{n-1} \times \cdots \times \dfrac{n-k+2}{n-k}

But we get lots of things cancelling...

\therefore f(n-k) = f(n) \times \dfrac{n(n+1)}{(n-k)(n-k+1)}

Setting k = 1995, n = 1996, we get the answer.
    nice, i'm just going through papers looking for accessible questions atm strictly avoiding any geometry

ReputationRep:
    nice, i'm just going through papers looking for accessible questions atm strictly avoiding any geometry
    :tongue: ditto :o:

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thought I might use my existing thread, rather than start another. Just attempting Q2, BMO-1, 1998, and I think I've managed to prove that the remainder is 0, any chance someone could check, as I'm a little unsure? :o:
    (Original post by Question 2, BMO-2, 1998)
    Let a_1 = 19, a_2 = 98. For n\geq 1 define  a_{n+2} to be the remainder of a_{n+1} + a_n when it is divided by 100. What is the remainder when

a_1^2 + a_2^2 + \cdots + a_{1998}^2

is divided by 8?
    Attempt
    We find that  a_n = F_{n-2}a_2 + F_{n-3}a_1 [Property 1] where F_n is the nth Fibonacci number ( F_0 = 1, F_1 = 1 and for n \geq 0, F_{n+2} = F_{n+1} + F_n ).

Edit: we can ignore the fact that a_{n+2} is the remainder of a_{n+1} + a_n on division by 100 as, suppose l is that remainder, and so a_{n+2} = l+100k for some k; it is clear that  (l+100k)^2 \equiv l^2 \pmod{8} .

Let us show that F_n has a period of 6 in modulo 4 arithmetic. The first 6 Fibonacci numbers are 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8. Their remainders on division by 4 are 1, 1, 2, 3, 1, 0 respectively. Due to the recurrence defining Fibonacci numbers, it is clearly true that, for all k

F_{6k} \equiv 1 \pmod{4}, F_{6k+1} \equiv 1 \pmod{4}, F_{6k+2} \equiv 2 \pmod{4}

F_{6k+3} \equiv 3 \pmod{4}, F_{6k+4} \equiv 1 \pmod{4}, F_{6k+5} \equiv 0 \pmod{4} .

Notice that this implies that for all  n \equiv 0, 1 \pmod{3} \iff a_n \equiv 1 \pmod{2} , and therefore that for all such n,  a_n^2 \equiv 1 \pmod{8} .

What we have shown about Fibonacci numbers also implies that (due to Property 1)  a_{6k+2}^2 \equiv 4 \pmod{8} and also that  a_{6k+5}^2 \equiv 0 \pmod{8} .

Note that there are 1332 terms of the form  a_{3m} or  a_{3m+1} , and so their quadratic residues modulo 8 sum to 1332, and there are 333 terms of the form  a_{6k+2} so their quadratic residues modulo 8 sum to 1332, and all the other terms' quadratic residues (terms of the form  a_{6k+5} leave no remainder on division by 8, so adding everything up, we get

a_1^2 + a_2^2 + \cdots + a_{1998}^2 \equiv 1332 + 1332 \pmod{8} \equiv 0 \pmod{8} .
    Thanks in advance for any help :smile:

ReputationRep:
    A brute force computation says the remainder is definitely 0 (the sum before division is 6594784).

The one thing I don't like about what you've done is "Due to the recurrence defining Fibonacci numbers, it is clearly true that, for all k ..." Reading it, I'm not sure why you think it's true - that is, I can think of several ways of proving it's true, but I don't know which method you actually have in mind. I don't know enough about BMO marking to say if you'd get away with it though.

ReputationRep:
    A brute force computation says the remainder is definitely 0 (the sum before division is 6594784).

The one thing I don't like about what you've done is "Due to the recurrence defining Fibonacci numbers, it is clearly true that, for all k ..." Reading it, I'm not sure why you think it's true - that is, I can think of several ways of proving it's true, but I don't know which method you actually have in mind. I don't know enough about BMO marking to say if you'd get away with it though.
    Cheers.

Hmm, maybe I ought to make it more rigorous. I suppose we could prove it* inductively. It is true for the first case as above, and suppose it is true for some  k = s . Therefore:

F_{6(s+1)} = F_{6s+5} + F_{6s+4} \equiv 0+1 \equiv 1 \pmod{4}

F_{6(s+1)+1} = F_{6(s+1)} + F_{6s+5} \equiv 1 + 0 \equiv 1 \pmod{4}

F_{6(s+1)+2} = F_{6(s+1)+1} + F_{6(s+1)} \equiv 1+1 \equiv 2 \pmod{4}

F_{6(s+1)+3} = F_{6(s+1)+2} + F_{6(s+1)+1} \equiv 1+2 \equiv 3 \pmod{4}

F_{6(s+1)+4} = F_{6(s+1)+3} + F_{6(s+1)+2} \equiv 3+2 \equiv 1 \pmod{4}

F_{6(s+1)+5} = F_{6(s+1)+4} + F_{6(s+1)+3} \equiv 1+3 \equiv 0 \pmod{4}

And so by induction, the statement is true. Would that be enough?

*It being the following for  k \geq 0 :

F_{6k} \equiv 1 \pmod{4}, F_{6k+1} \equiv 1 \pmod{4}, F_{6k+2} \equiv 2 \pmod{4}

F_{6k+3} \equiv 3 \pmod{4}, F_{6k+4} \equiv 1 \pmod{4}, F_{6k+5} \equiv 0 \pmod{4} .

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that would be fine. It feels a bit overkill, but I didn't see anything markedly better/clearer myself.

What you did before might have been OK - it's in the "it's obvious how to prove this if you are competent" category.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that would be fine. It feels a bit overkill, but I didn't see anything markedly better/clearer myself.

What you did before might have been OK - it's in the "it's obvious how to prove this if you are competent" category.
    Thanks again :smile:

ReputationRep:
    Just had a quick question, so thought I might ask it here; for Q3 BMO-1 2006 [the combinatorics question], could anyone confirm that the answer is 2520?

:smile:

ReputationRep:
    I seem to recall that being the answer - haven't actually redone the question to make sure, but I have a reasonable memory for these things. (and from "2520" I could guess which question you meant, so that's a good sign).

ReputationRep:
    I seem to recall that being the answer - haven't actually redone the question to make sure, but I have a reasonable memory for these things. (and from "2520" I could guess which question you meant, so that's a good sign).
    Cheers :smile: I'm a little confused with Q4 of the same paper. I've attached a drawing of what I think the situation is like, but for the tangent at P to touch T at some point Q, surely it's obvious after this that S and T have the same radius; hence PQ = AP immediately? I think I'm missing something or assuming something I shouldn't :confused:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Don't ask me about BMO geometry (or indeed anything that involves drawing diagrams...)

ReputationRep:
    The line PQ is tangent to the smaller circle at Q.

Name:  circles.bmp
Views: 155
Size:  395.4 KB

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.