Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've read through numerous BGP threads which all make reference to it being better to apply for the newer buildings, as the older ones are run down. But I cannot work out which specific buildings are actually newer and which are the run-down ones. Can anyone with experience of BGP briefly run through which are which?

ReputationRep:
    nope.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply. Do you mean that you personally cannot do this, or that it would be impossible for anybody to do so?

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with the older buildings. They're not old. I cba running through but I can tell you which are which if you want to know specifically.

ReputationRep:
    There re-doing all the old buildings this summer apparently.
    I stayed in the newer buildings this year, i loved it. Many of my friends were in the older blocks, there is nothing wrong with them, they just have smaller kitchens which are abit annoying, and u share between 5 rather than 6 of the newer blocks.
    The bedroom sizes aren't that different between the blocks. I would have no problem living in the older blocks, it's just dependent on whether u want to share a bathroom.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help. Having spent a while looking at private-sector prices, though, BGP seems like a bit of a con. I'm going to get a room privately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crafty bison)
    Thanks for your help. Having spent a while looking at private-sector prices, though, BGP seems like a bit of a con. I'm going to get a room privately.
    In what way is it a con?

You pay what's asked and get what's advertised.

Did you mean over-priced, rather than 'a con'? It's no more over-priced at BGP than any of the other Halls, whether they be Uni owned or privately owned.

Your a Postgrad (I think) so the whole Hall thing is probably less important to you, and a room in a house makes more sense.

ReputationRep:
    haha is anyone else anxious to see what their room looks like?

I just went for a crummy single study (large were all gone) so I'm not expecting much! It will be a culture shock coming from such a big bedroom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veggie4life)

I just went for a crummy single study (large were all gone) so I'm not expecting much! It will be a culture shock coming from such a big bedroom
    Same here. Sadly the single study block I saw on the open day wasn't exactly The Ritz but then I wanted to go for the cheapest just to have more money to spend on food/having a life. I think I described it as having the ambience of a a multistory car park in a previous thread!

A rather talkative American (claimed to be the Welfare person on the JCR) who showed us around Broadgate stated that they were going to be improving a few of the Blocks over the summer:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan)
    Same here. Sadly the single study block I saw on the open day wasn't exactly The Ritz but then I wanted to go for the cheapest just to have more money to spend on food/having a life. I think I described it as having the ambience of a a multistory car park in a previous thread!

A rather talkative American (claimed to be the Welfare person on the JCR) who showed us around Broadgate stated that they were going to be improving a few of the Blocks over the summer:woo:
    haha agh well at least it will give me an excuse to wallow in a drunken stupor.

Have you tackled any of the reading in the letter? (Which I seem to have lost ).

ReputationRep:
    I applied quite late for a postgrad course, but having been accepted im now looking to accomodation. ive been reading through these threads trying to determine where is good- and i think ive narrowed my choice down to BGP and raleigh park. Having never visited either and read mixed reviews of both, i wondered if anyone who has lived in one/both of these could offer some extra insight to what is available on their respective websites, which i suspect are largely biased... thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan)
    Does anyone know when we get told what Block we are in?
    According to several other threads, not until the day you move in!

I peeked through the window of some single-study rooms last week, and they look very small. Sorry.

ReputationRep:

I peeked through the window of some single-study rooms last week, and they look very small. Sorry.
    Lol don't worry they're no smaller than catered singles apparently so i'll just be brave

any ex bgpers happen to have a pic ? :angel:

ReputationRep:
    Not true.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, sorry then. I was under the impression I was passing on correct secondary information but if not apologies.

ReputationRep:
    I've read through numerous BGP threads which all make reference to it being better to apply for the newer buildings, as the older ones are run down. But I cannot work out which specific buildings are actually newer and which are the run-down ones. Can anyone with experience of BGP briefly run through which are which?
    The new blocks are the ensuite ones - so you can apply specifically for them by selecting any of the ensuite or ensuite studio options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veggie4life)
    Lol don't worry they're no smaller than catered singles apparently so i'll just be brave

any ex bgpers happen to have a pic ? :angel:
    Yeah, they're not that small. Funnily enough, for two years of Broadgate I don't have a lot of photos of my actual room. I have one, but you'll have to imagine it without the PA equipment! This is a standard ensuite room. Just round the corner to the right is a large wardrobe, and next to that is the ensuite bathroom. Unpictured are two levels of shelving above the desk area and the electric heater (behind the door).
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan)

The improved blocks will be filled with the "enhanced" rooms, apparently. These were all gone when I applied for accomodation, so I just got the bog standard single study in old blocks.

ReputationRep:
    the older blocks are being re-done this summer

i was in one of the old blocks last year and they were fine, yeah, could do with u revamp but the atmosphere was great...

the new blocks are ensuite and studio's, so there wasn't such a communal open feeling, and the rooms were perfectly acceptable in the old blocks, though nowhere near as nice, but they were paying an extra £1000 for them!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 7, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.