The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hannah_x
Would you have a problem if it was a guy calling you mate in a shop?
I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
I get called love, duck, darling and sweetheart in shops, and it doesn't bother me.
x

lol I get called love by Gypsy kids in the shop where I work. They are half my age, if not more :eyeball:

I don't mind people older then me caling me love or sweetheart or whatever though :smile:
farhan
Duck? Haven't heard that one before :hmmmm2:

I think they're being suggestive of something else :wink:
Cool Cat
lol I get called love by Gypsy kids in the shop where I work. They are half my age, if not more :eyeball:

I don't mind people older then me caling me love or sweetheart or whatever though :smile:

They're obviously into older women.
Reply 23
Lefty Leo
They're obviously into older women.

nah, they're just odd :mmm:
Cool Cat
nah, they're just odd :mmm:

Maybe you're just mind blowingly beautiful? Ever considered that? :eyeball:
Reply 25
Lefty Leo
Maybe you're just mind blowingly beautiful? Ever considered that? :eyeball:

:s-smilie: I'm a realist, I know that's not it lol, I think it's just their culture :mmm:
Reply 26
OP is unbelievably anal.
Reply 27
farhan
Duck? Haven't heard that one before :hmmmm2:

It's a Nottingham thing :h:
New one to add to the list, I got called chick today. Although that was a customer I was serving, so it's not really the same.
x
Reply 28
Hannah_x
It's a Nottingham thing :h:
New one to add to the list, I got called chick today. Although that was a customer I was serving, so it's not really the same.
x

Yeah :awesome: I love how nobody else in the country understands what 'Duck', 'mardy' or 'Cob' means. Apparently the Northerners call Cobs 'Barmcakes' (what the hell?) and the Southerners call them 'Rolls'. They're all just crazy :yes:

And the rest of the country needs 'mardy', saying 'sulking' just doesn't quite replace it.

Nottingham (and it's people) is great :h:
You want people to call you Sir? Ahahahahaha
Ministerdonut
Not talking about girls who know you, but I have to say I would think a girl who did know me was a bit of a geezerbird if she said it a lot.But girls who don't know you I think is a bit maybe rude? chavvy?

I was in a sports shop yesterday and I asked a girl assistant for some trainers in a certain size and she comes back and says 'here you go mate', and I just laughed at her and walked out. I think 'sir' is how you address customers or maybe not in a sports shop but I really think saying 'mate' shows a bit of disrespect.Thoughts?

you sound like a pretentious toff, pretty naive, led a sheltered life much?
Reply 31
Craig_D
Yeah :awesome: I love how nobody else in the country understands what 'Duck', 'mardy' or 'Cob' means. Apparently the Northerners call Cobs 'Barmcakes' (what the hell?) and the Southerners call them 'Rolls'. They're all just crazy :yes:

And the rest of the country needs 'mardy', saying 'sulking' just doesn't quite replace it.

Nottingham (and it's people) is great :h:

I'm from the south, and I've never heard anyone called a "roll"? O.o

Heard "duck" though.
Reply 32
JoeTSR
I'm from the south, and I've never heard anyone called a "roll"? O.o

Heard "duck" though.

Oh, no no, I'd gone off topic a bit there ...

You know those round bread roll... things? You can put chips in them, make sandwiches from them ... (the rest of the country seems to call them either Baps, Rolls or Barmcakes [:awesome:]) well we call them Cobs, nobody ever seems to understand what we mean. I didn't mean that we sometimes call other people 'Cob' :biggrin:
I agree. I don't take it politely when a female mates me. I consider them crass or alien, so I usually 'mate'them in return. And try and avoid them next time...same with men who buddies you when they don't know you...
Reply 34
Original post by Jim crow
I agree. I don't take it politely when a female mates me. I consider them crass or alien, so I usually 'mate'them in return. And try and avoid them next time...same with men who buddies you when they don't know you...

Thread is ten years old!

Latest