Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I am aware that there is a form which you can send off to be exempt from paying for your NHS prescriptions, however I remember finding the form quite complicated, though maybe I was just having a bad day :p:

    Basically I'm a struggling student and ever since I turned 19 I've had to pay for prescriptions - the problem is, I've had a LOT. And at £7.20 a pop, I could really do with that money back.

    I really don't earn anything and am pretty poor :redface: is there any way to claim back what I've already spent on prescriptions (I don't have receipts, but I do have bank statements)?

    I presume it'd go hand in hand with not having to pay for them any more while I'm in full time education?

    Meh, any advice/ experience appreciated.

    Pre payment card might help depending on how many scripts you get
    (I am aware this isnt claiming the back but it might help)

    The criteria for free prescriptions are:

    In England and Scotland, you are entitled to get prescriptions free of charge if you:

    * are on Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or the guarantee credit part of Pension Credit. Your partner and children will also be entitled to free prescriptions. If you are getting Working Tax Credit and/or Child Tax Credit, you may be entitled to free prescriptions, depending on your income
    * are 60 or over (you must show proof of age to the pharmacist)
    * have a listed medical condition and have a valid medical exemption certificate. Ask your GP if you think this might apply to you
    * are having treatment for cancer, the effects of cancer or the effects of cancer treatment and you have a valid medical exemption certificate. You get free prescriptions for all NHS medication, not just the cancer medication (in England only)
    * you are on prescribed medication to prevent a pandemic disease, for example, pandemic influenza
    * have a continuing physical disability which means you cannot go out without help from another person and have a valid medical exemption certificate
    * are under 16 in England or Scotland. You must show proof to the pharmacist
    * get a war or service disablement pension, need prescriptions for your disability and hold an exemption certificate
    * are a prisoner
    * are pregnant, or have had a baby in the last twelve months and have a valid exemption certificate. This includes if you have had a miscarriage after the 24th week of pregnancy, or your baby was stillborn
    * have got a community care order and you are expected to take medication for the treatment of your mental disorder. This applies only to England.
    If you'd fall into any of those categories, you can get them free - though whether you can claim back retrospectively is another thing.

    As crazylemon suggests you can buy a certificate which covers you for 12 months - you can buy them from surgeries, and costs something in the region of £90 in England.

    Or, you could up sticks and move to Scotland or Wales .

    HC1 form.

    You need HC5 plus FP57 form to claim them.

    If you need a lot of prescriptions, it might be worth considering pre-payment options.

    (Original post by malleablegrace)
    s there any way to claim back what I've already spent on prescriptions (I don't have receipts, but I do have bank statements)?
    I presume it'd go hand in hand with not having to pay for them any more while I'm in full time education
    Hi, As Titch said, it is an HC1 form you will need to fill in, any questions you find complicated, ring them up, as they will just keep sending the form back to you until it is all completed!

    As far as i know, to claim back prescription costs, you need the chemist to fill in and stamp a fp57 form whenever you get a prescription and this must be accompanied by a reciept from them for you to claim the costs back.

    It takes roughly 6 weeks from posting the HC1 form to receive an exemption certificate, or an explanation of why you will not get one.

    Good luck, i hope you get sorted soon.x


students online now


Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.