Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi to you all!

I am an American student applying for the M.Litt. in History at St. Andrews for Fall 2009 entry. I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with:

1. I already have an M.A. from a university in the states for a different degree. Is it going to look bad that I already have a masters and am applying for a second one? I do have my undergraduate degree in history.

2. On the website, it asks that US students have final overall grade examples of a 3.6. I, unfortunately, only have a 3.5 . The website does go on to state this though: "Should you have qualifications slightly below the required minimum or lack a suitable first degree, please feel encourage to submit an application as only then can we make a fair and informed decision and we do not have an application fee!" Does it mean I still have a shot or am I screwed because of this .1 difference? I did, however, receive distinction in history from my dept.

Thank you everyone, in advance, for your help- please any piece of information would help! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ring the dept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erg2117)
    Hi to you all!

I am an American student applying for the M.Litt. in History at St. Andrews for Fall 2009 entry. I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with:

1. I already have an M.A. from a university in the states for a different degree. Is it going to look bad that I already have a masters and am applying for a second one? I do have my undergraduate degree in history.

2. On the website, it asks that US students have final overall grade examples of a 3.6. I, unfortunately, only have a 3.5 . The website does go on to state this though: "Should you have qualifications slightly below the required minimum or lack a suitable first degree, please feel encourage to submit an application as only then can we make a fair and informed decision and we do not have an application fee!" Does it mean I still have a shot or am I screwed because of this .1 difference? I did, however, receive distinction in history from my dept.

Thank you everyone, in advance, for your help- please any piece of information would help! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    First, do you mean Fall of 2010 entry?

Second, did you get a MA in history as well (here in the states)? If you did not then you should be alright, but if you did then you will have to explain why you won't to do another Master's degree.

What field of history are you planning on going into? I'm also planning on applying to the MLitt. in Modern History (American and Scottish Enlightenment history) for Fall of 2010 entry.

ReputationRep:
    You probably shoot the dept. an e-mail, or give them a call if you can. Be warned though, the lady that answers the e-mails tends to give vague answers (or answers that aren't as helpful as I was hoping for).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for your quick responses!
    rmn002, I am applying for fall 2009 entry actually (after I submitted the application, I telephoned admissions and they said that as I was in before the deadline so they would still consider me. The deadline isn't until July 31st). I also telephoned the dept, but the secretary was unable to provide me with any information. As for my previous M.A., it was in literacy education, and I am applying for the Modern History program (early American 20th century). I am hoping since I did not receive an immediate rejection, they are still considering me not withstanding my lower GPA, but I don't know .

rmn002, when are you planning on applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erg2117)
    rmn002, when are you planning on applying?
    I plan on applying this September when they begin accepting applications for 2010-2011. Let me know if you get accepted, the secretary said that they usually make a decision in about a week once they receive all your materials (but it could take longer since faculty members may have left for the summer).

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.