Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wondered if anyone could help me! I'm 14 years old and am thinking about becoming a paramedic. I have just started doing my GCSES i am home educated so am only doing 5 (as it is very hard work doing it by yourself!) I am doing Maths, English, combined Science, Spanish, and history. When i finish these i have been told i will have to do A level chemistry to be a paramedic! Is this true? I searched on the internet and it said the qualifactions i need vary from county i live in gloucestershire. I am also a cadet in St john's ambulance so hopefully this will help towards me getting a job as a paremedic. Can anyone tell me what qualifactions i need?!

ReputationRep:
    I believe they are turning away from the more vocational route in favour of the BSc Paramedic Sciences route.

So yeah, UCAS search for that course and look at the entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannahl)
    I wondered if anyone could help me! I'm 14 years old and am thinking about becoming a paramedic. I have just started doing my GCSES i am home educated so am only doing 5 (as it is very hard work doing it by yourself!) I am doing Maths, English, combined Science, Spanish, and history. When i finish these i have been told i will have to do A level chemistry to be a paramedic! Is this true? I searched on the internet and it said the qualifactions i need vary from county i live in gloucestershire. I am also a cadet in St john's ambulance so hopefully this will help towards me getting a job as a paremedic. Can anyone tell me what qualifactions i need?!
    Hello. I am pretty sure you don't need an A level in Chem (I don't have one and am about to start a course at Northampton Uni!)

ReputationRep:
    Ill refer you to the NHS careers website, theres tonnes of information on there: http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/
    http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details...lt.aspx?Id=468

I believe that you now have to do a Degree in Paramedic Sciences- Dont quote me on that but I know the training routes for paramedics, ambulance technicians and EMTs are being restructured atm

ReputationRep:
    hannah by the time you are able to realistically apply assume that a Higher education route will be the route into the job,

St John Is a good introduction to emergency care whatever the insecure knockers will tell you, just in the same way as army cadets who join for real are told, don't regale people with your 'war stories' as a cadet...

ReputationRep:
    You dont need a single A-Level its just the 5 A*-C GCSE's. That is confirmed for the University Route.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It will depend what route you go. Many trust run courses only require GCSEs. If you go the university route it can vary quite a lot from only GCSEs up to specific A levels. You will have to check on UCAS for various university requirements however I expect that by the time you apply the requirements may have changed quite abit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeM)
    You dont need a single A-Level its just the 5 A*-C GCSE's. That is confirmed for the University Route.
    Well that's nice to hear. My auntie will surely be happy about this :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johndale)
    Well that's nice to hear. My auntie will surely be happy about this :yep:
    Yeah its great but that means alot of competition!

1000 applicants (all suitable with grades) for a 20 place course at LJMU for Paramedic Practice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeM)
    Yeah its great but that means alot of competition!

1000 applicants (all suitable with grades) for a 20 place course at LJMU for Paramedic Practice!
    Thats not too good, but inthis days economic climate you would expect no less.

ejharte, 15, same situation!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.