Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi, can anybody please tell me how long does it take to fully qualify as a dentist and start earning? is it straight after the 5 years at uni? also what can you expect to earn as a starting salary?

thank you

ReputationRep:
    yes u can start practicing after 5 years and start earning but you are a vocational trainer for the first year after you graduate. I think starting salaries average at about £27000

ReputationRep:
    thanks, but how long does vocational training last? is it just one year? and after completing the training whats the expected salary then?

sorry to be so money orientated but i'm thinking about a change in career and i'm wondering whether financially its worth it!

ReputationRep:
    BDS is 5 years.

Vocational Training currently is 1 year but from next year will be 2 years.

Vocational training salary is 28k.

After completing training it depends if you become a general practice dentist, go into hospital, private, surgeon, the salary varies.

Good luck mate, where are you going to apply?...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    BDS is 5 years.

Vocational Training currently is 1 year but from next year will be 2 years.

Vocational training salary is 28k.

After completing training it depends if you become a general practice dentist, go into hospital, private, surgeon, the salary varies.

Good luck mate, where are you going to apply?...
    i think you are getting mixed up with the vocational training part! They implemented a 2yr scheme last year or the year before and quickly realised that there isnt enough places so reverted back to the 1yr scheme. i havent heard anything about it going back to 2yrs.

but yeah from when you start uni, 6years until you are freely able to practice, 5yrs before you get your first pay check (Vovational training is a must if you want to work in nhs and you get paid 27-30k for it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dentalstudentGKT)
    i think you are getting mixed up with the vocational training part! They implemented a 2yr scheme last year or the year before and quickly realised that there isnt enough places so reverted back to the 1yr scheme. i havent heard anything about it going back to 2yrs.

but yeah from when you start uni, 6years until you are freely able to practice, 5yrs before you get your first pay check (Vovational training is a must if you want to work in nhs and you get paid 27-30k for it)
    I'm not sure.

But I was told that they have stated V.T for 2 years?

I'll do further research when I have time and get back to you...

ReputationRep:
    V.T is currently mandatory 1 year for NHS but you can do it for longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by regis)
    yes u can start practicing after 5 years and start earning but you are a vocational trainer for the first year after you graduate. I think starting salaries average at about £27000

hi

could you please tell me the average salary after that, i Know it depends on UDA thing, but on average ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dentalstudentGKT)

Hi mate whats the dental salary after VT year?

ReputationRep:
    So can anyone confirm the current amount of mandatory VT years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bds007)
    So can anyone confirm the current amount of mandatory VT years?
    NHS site says one year.
    http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details...lt.aspx?Id=686

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomassss)
    Hi mate whats the dental salary after VT year?
    depends what sort of work you do i.e. nhs vs private, whether you own a practice and all sorts. 50k would be a guess though

and vt is mandatory for 1yr if you want to work in the nhs. there is an optional 2nd yr where you are in a hospital as an SHO, you can do this if you intend to do a masters in something.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, it's 5 years and 1 year VT. A friend is a dentist and she is currently an associate in 3 practices. 3 days in one and the other 2 days are spent at half days between the 2 so doing 2 practices in 1 day.
    I have no idea what she earns as I'd hate to ask! She said pay is based on UDA and also the practice owner takes a percentage out for equipment and materials used. But she does do private aswell.
    Told me its a long hard road and very stressful at Uni !! Definetely say she would be on over 50k though.

The only time she did let me know is she said one afternoon she saw 30 patients and mentioned 12 pounds each (UDA)... Not bad money for a afternoon! and most were kids, just counting teeth basically.

I know though she doesnt like discussing dentistry out of hours, as gets abit sick of it, but thats all the info I can gather!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.