Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    These days, i think we will all agree that fashion is a lot more extreme than 50 years ago, what i mean is, 50 years ago, when our grandparents were young, i don't think they exactly wore skater shoes, or bagging / tight jeans and listened to hardcore music, which sometimes can influence the way people dress....

anyways, i was wondering, in 50 years time, do you think that we will be wearing the same clothes, or will they be replaced by the suit and trousers up by our nipples, like some old people i have seen.....

also, what do you think the teenagers of the year 2059 will be wearing....

DISCUSS

ReputationRep:
    Just watch Back to the Future part II

ReputationRep:
    In 50 years time there will be so many climate change activist groups and lardydar that everyone will walk around in the nude in fear of being attacked for wearing too many clothes that are contributing to global warming, just like 'everything else'.

Or, alternatively, we will all have been blown up before then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkygonewild)
    These days, i think we will all agree that fashion is a lot more extreme than 50 years ago, what i mean is, 50 years ago, when our grandparents were young, i don't think they exactly wore skater shoes, or bagging / tight jeans and listened to hardcore music, which sometimes can influence the way people dress....

anyways, i was wondering, in 50 years time, do you think that we will be wearing the same clothes, or will they be replaced by the suit and trousers up by our nipples, like some old people i have seen.....

also, what do you think the teenagers of the year 2059 will be wearing....

DISCUSS

I think by then there will be so many sprogs on the earth due to unplanned pregnancies, that we will be back in victorian times and women will be covered from head to toe, and wear knickers that take a good hour/hour and a half to get into.

ReputationRep:
    We've spent quite a few years speculating what 'fashion in the future' will be like - in 1999, everything was silver and purple and shiny. Everyone looked like they'd been morphed with Jonny 5. I reckon, until the stage where we have robots that can live as humans without anyone being able to tell the difference, we will intermittently return to fashions which reflect the stereotypical 'robot features'.

There seems to be constant progression in fabrics used for hiking clothes - I'm not sure if the current fabrics we use for day-to-day clothes are 'good enough', but I can imagine we might start paying more attention to fabric technology for 'ordinary' clothes. The way technology can be used to alter our appearances might also drive the development of new styles - e.g. we might find a way of making garments that product a fake fan on the wearer, or something similarly far-fetched.

And we already keep on stealing previous fashion aspects. Usually, new ideas now are built from unexpected combinations of old ideas, so I think we might just continue recycling the 70's for a few more years :o:

ReputationRep:
    I dont know, but I think they would look back on us and laugh their heads off :P

ReputationRep:
    Your not looking hard enough if you think there wasnt 'extreme' fashion in the 50's/ 60's - teddyboys, rockabillies, hippies, , skinheads etc, granted it wasnt the 'average' person wearing it, but it was around. Some of the jeans then were tighter then ever!

ReputationRep:
    I think we'll look back at us and laugh our heads off.

ReputationRep:
    I think that there are already strong signs that people are willing to dress more eccentically so I think that in 50 years, or even well before then, there will be many people who could be called a 'dandy'. Vivienne Westwood is an icon who has been interviewed recently by the relatively ordinarily dressed Jonathan Ross - she started off designing punk clothing but then moved in to more traditional, yet flamboyant clothing. This has been mirrored by John Lyndon of The Sex Pistols- no longer dressing down he now truly does go around in tweed and ties like in his Country Life advert and Alex James of Blur dresses in a similarly upmarket country way. More and more poeple will buy British clothing and be willing to spend good money on a few high quality items because disposable cheap items are, well, 'so 20th century/early 21st century'.

In a way, it'd be a return to the 1950s kind of look or before but probably given a modern twist.

*Clothes changing colour depending on temperature etc
    *You can change clothes without changing them, i.e. you're wearing this hologram thing and you're wearing a blue top. In a click you're wearing a red top!
    *See-through, invisible clothes
    *Clothes that protect from bombs, knives, acid etc
    *Built in [name of electrical item]
    *Indestructable clothes
    *Everyone wears the same thing - literally.
    *Clothes that can make you fly
    *Clothes that convert heat energy into electrical energy
    etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    *Clothes changing colour depending on temperature etc
    *You can change clothes without changing them, i.e. you're wearing this hologram thing and you're wearing a blue top. In a click you're wearing a red top!
    *See-through, invisible clothes
    *Clothes that protect from bombs, knives, acid etc
    *Built in [name of electrical item]
    *Indestructable clothes
    *Everyone wears the same thing - literally.
    *Clothes that can make you fly
    *Clothes that convert heat energy into electrical energy
    etc
    :hubba: :p:

Didn't they make some t-shirt a while ago that incorporated a screen or something, so you could personalize it? It didn't appear to be very washing-machine-friendly, though. I can't remember. It was some fancy t-shirt involving batteries :cute:

Edit: t-shirt with incorporated clock
    sound-sensitive t-shirt

Edit:
    loads more

ReputationRep:
    Everyone will be wearing jackets and shoes that do up automatically like in BTTF2

ReputationRep:
    T-shirts that change colour according to temperature have already been tried. They stop working after a while - also people aren't always keen on other people knowing that they are sweating.

Clothes that can change colour at the press of a switch would catch the public imagination for a short time- it would be a short time though once people realise that it's not just the colour that they want to change but the whole style of the clothing.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by blinkygonewild)
    in 50 years time, do you think that we will be wearing the same clothes, or will they be replaced by the suit and trousers up by our nipples, like some old people i have seen.....
    Do you really need to ask that question?

Obviously you won't be wearing the same clothes in 50 years, just as you won't be wearing the same clothes in three years.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    there won't be any people, only robots, so no need for clothes :p:

seriously, how on earth are we supposed to know what will be fashionable in 50 years time? Just have to wait and see I guess.

ReputationRep:
    we'd look like lady Gaga

ReputationRep:
    It'll be something different. Fashion goes in one year and out the other after all. :yep:

I reckon people won't be wearing any clothes (because people are wearing less and less clothes as time goes on - especially women :ninja:). Maybe underwear during the winter months but obviously there'll be a bit of global warming which will contribute to the nakedness. :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.