Turn on thread page Beta

I know you hate these threads but... watch

This may seem like another "omgim17andneverhadaboyfrien d, willidielonely?!" thread but it's not!!!!

I think I'm kind of pretty because I get loads of compliments (please don't think I'm boasting, I'm really not). On my first day of college, many people (including girls) complimented my looks, e.g. they said hi to a girl I was walking with and said to me "by the way you're really pretty". And I get chatted/looked up by strangers (not including those old pervs that hit on anything with a vj).

I've had lots of attention from guys but never had a boyfriend :confused: I am a really shy person. I couldn't flirt to save my life, and if a guy winked or complimented me I don't know what to say back. I either smile or look away akwardly. Maybe they think I'm boring? It takes a while and effort for me to be comfortable with someone. I'm worried that they might think I'm ugly if I start talking or something. I mean, they might think, "ugh I've changed my mind". I can't talk to a guy I fancy at all without making an idiot of myself,

Would a guy not go out with a girl he thinks is pretty because she's too quiet?

Is this why i've never had a guy properly pursue me into a relationship?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Maybe they think you're out of their league

ReputationRep:
    What she said ^^^

Give it time and the right guy or girl will come along

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This may seem like another "omgim17andneverhadaboyfrien d, willidielonely?!" thread but it's not!!!!

I think I'm kind of pretty because I get loads of compliments (please don't think I'm boasting, I'm really not). On my first day of college, many people (including girls) complimented my looks, e.g. they said hi to a girl I was walking with and said to me "by the way you're really pretty". And I get chatted/looked up by strangers (not including those old pervs that hit on anything with a vj).

I've had lots of attention from guys but never had a boyfriend :confused: I am a really shy person. I couldn't flirt to save my life, and if a guy winked or complimented me I don't know what to say back. I either smile or look away akwardly. Maybe they think I'm boring? It takes a while and effort for me to be comfortable with someone. I'm worried that they might think I'm ugly if I start talking or something. I mean, they might think, "ugh I've changed my mind". I can't talk to a guy I fancy at all without making an idiot of myself,

Would a guy not go out with a girl he thinks is pretty because she's too quiet?

Is this why i've never had a guy properly pursue me into a relationship?
    I don't know about anyone else but initial attraction can only be furthered by interesting conversation. Otherwise people are just going to lose interest after a while. I'm sorry if I'm being really harsh but you need to be slightly more talkative with the guys you seem interested in. Looks aren't everything if you haven't got the personality to back it.

(Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    I don't know about anyone else but initial attraction can only be furthered by interesting conversation. Otherwise people are just going to lose interest after a while. I'm sorry if I'm being really harsh but you need to be slightly more talkative with the guys you seem interested in. Looks aren't everything if you haven't got the personality to back it.
    I don't have a non-existent personality, I just don't throw it put there as soon as I meet someone. In high school, I had no clue what to say to any guy that I liked.

In sixth form college, the guys just eye me up from afar or compliment me while walking past me but they never come up to me for a real chat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't have a non-existent personality, I just don't throw it put there as soon as I meet someone. In high school, I had no clue what to say to any guy that I liked.

In sixth form college, the guys just eye me up from afar or compliment me while walking past me but they never come up to me for a real chat.
    You probably intimidate guys because you're quiet and they can't work you out. It may be just that they wouldn't know what to say to you even if they did approach you. Try to be a bit more open, even if it's just obviously having fun with your friends in public; it will probably make you seem more approachable.

ReputationRep:
    Funnily enough I'm like the guy equivalent

ReputationRep:
    If there's one thing I've learned, confidence gets you very, very far in life.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.