Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is Computer Science any good at Durham?

I noted that Durham is 8th on Times Online, but as soon as you look at CS its =27!!!!

Is Durham really this bad?

ReputationRep:
    Hinestly depends on why the department got that mark.

Its the same for Earth Science is I think 10th or 12th on the times list however it is one of the best places in the UK to do Igneous and Crystaline rocks. The department reviews mainly go on the research published and therefore sometimes dont reflect the teaching.

E.g. my undergrad from Bham is ranked 18th in Geology however the teaching was excellent and externally assessed as that. In my opinion this is the most important factor at Undergrad as you will be sitting in lectures mostly (first year) and this will influence your degree the most.

Durham has a prestige that others Universities don't have however a good university does not make a good department. The best advise is to go on open days and ask about the facilites and how you feel in that department. If its for you go for it if not check out other places.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.