Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I brought a sunbed from a local auction it was a clearence sale of somebodys the sunbed was sold as seen i have it at home now and it works fine. My question is how long should i go on for?
    i have not use a sunbed before im blonde, green eyes and i dont think im pale more meduim its a 6 tube canopy and the tubes are 100 watts but that was all they could tell me. Anyone with a simillar thing or used to use that know da max i can go on it for

ReputationRep:
    100 watts isnt very strong, but then again you shouldnt need too long given your skin type. if it's one of the old style sunbeds you will take longer to tan off it than the modern beds you'd find in one of the shops, though regardless i would just start by trying out 10 minutes and building it up so as not to burn yourself

ReputationRep:
    Stupid move.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea about the watts or tubes, but I was told that if I planned on using a sunbed to start off with three-four minutes, and maybe work my way up to six when I had a bit more colour. I don't know if you're as fair as me, but my mum was told to start with six and that was purely because she'd used one before. I'd advise that whatever you do, you use it for a short length of time at first and work your way up.

Perhaps buy some indoor tanning lotion thing? It maximises how much you tan in the time limit. I can't remember what the one my Mum has is called, but I'm sure there are a number of different versions.

Be careful :/ Start off with small time limits. Oh and you shouldn't tan more than once in any 24 hour period. That includes sitting outside in the sun as well as using a sunbed.

EDIT: The post below suggests that the time limit I am suggesting for, is for a much stronger sunbed, so the length of time you'd be safe starting with could be higher.

ReputationRep:
    Well the sunbeds I use are 225 watts, but they are the stand up ones, Im guessing this is a lie down sunbed. I would say start off at 10 mins and build up slowly....dont forget to use cream too!

ReputationRep:
    i have the cream that makes u tan faster yea i no it aint very strong but it was cheap i thought if i get this one build up a bit of a tan while i save up for a stronger way that way my skin will be more use to the sunbed and hopefully wont burn. it was onli 15 quid i wernt expecting anything dramatic its just a starter for now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Footie Chick)
    Well the sunbeds I use are 225 watts, but they are the stand up ones, Im guessing this is a lie down sunbed. I would say start off at 10 mins and build up slowly....dont forget to use cream too!

yea its a single canopy it goes over your bed

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am a student at Sussex uni and need people to take part in a study about sunbeds. If you have used sunbeds for whatever reason please take part at:

www.sunbedinfo.co.uk

It will take a max 15 minutes of your time and to show our thanks you will be entered in to a draw to win £25 and there are 4 prizes of £25 so please help!

Thanks

Nicola

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.