Turn on thread page Beta

Should terrorists have no human rights? watch

ReputationRep:
    me & a friend were saying given the lives they have taken, if they survive their own attack (or are part of the planning stage of the thing) should they lose all human rights as punishments?

ReputationRep:
    Either everyone has fundamental 'human rights', regardless of their actions, or no one should have them at all.

'Human rights' are just state granted privileges, they are a social construction, there is no natural 'moral' basis for them, its because they are artificial that they are open to debate such as this. If the state is to grant this premise of human rights; that they are unshakable rules that everyone is entitled to no matter their age, gender, race or condition and that no one can impeach. Then why should their actions change this situation. Human rights are not earned, they are granted at the whim of the state, and whilst it is in the states power to remove these rights from certain individuals, this undermines the very premise. You would be taking away from the terrorist his privileges because he has taken them away from others, this makes the state just as bad as the terrorist.

ReputationRep:
    Then what separates "us" and "them"? We need our moral superiority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    me & a friend were saying given the lives they have taken, if they survive their own attack (or are part of the planning stage of the thing) should they lose all human rights as punishments?
    You're an idiot. Do you not see the inherent contradiction in your statement? I'd hope it would be obvious to anyone with a mental age greater than that of the average infant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    Please google "facepalm". Thanks

ReputationRep:
    That depends on whether you believe that human rights exist.

ReputationRep:
    sums it up really.

ReputationRep:

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. The problem is, it's not as simple as "us" and "them". That's far too black and white.

Human beings seldom wantonly destroy each other just because they can. There's too much contradiction on either side of any conflict to simply declare that 'they' should not have any human rights but 'we' should due to some sort of 'moral superiority'.

I suspect that moral superiority simply depends on what side of a conflict someone is on.

ReputationRep:
    need to maintain the moral high ground or you are just as bad as they are. with right and wrong soo subjective the state needs to do its best to define those distinctions, by as previously stated maintiang moral superiority.

ReputationRep:
    No. Basic human rights isn't something to 'deserve' or punish one with. Everyone should have them.

Terrorists have been brainwashed (by something/someone) into believing something so wrong wrong wrong is right. Let them sit in ******* prison and give them some sort of 'guidance'. Taking their human rights away won't resolve any issues or bring death back to living.

ReputationRep:
    They are human, so no.

ReputationRep:
    everyone should have basic human rights...no matter what they do..

ReputationRep:
    Human rights = rights for humans. Pretty straightforward. I'm sorry to ruin your little party, but a human is still a human from birth to death. And whomever tries to prove otherwise is an unsympathetic, selfish ahole. Do you really think you're so perfect and amazing that you can decide over other people's human rights?? Look in the mirror, my friend, and try to improve yourself rather than prosecute others.

ReputationRep:
    terrorists = human beings

Human rights are what human beings deserve. If you think terrorists shouldn't have some of the rights that are defined as 'human rights', then you're saying that they should not be human rights. Which is like, good for you and everything, but you should be aware of what you're debating.

You can't even have the argument of whether or not a terrorist should have human rights unless the terrorist is a ninja hamster or something.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it depends on their situation, their role in whatever terrorist scheme. A person who knows what they are doing and knows the score, and who intends upon the death of innocents, is likely just as an ugly and malevolent character as any serial killer. Such people deserve the death penalty. They know exactly what they are doing, and they should pay with their lives for the pain and suffering they have willingly planned.
    The foot soldiers of terrorist plots, especially religious and ideological extremists, are often brainwashed into their beliefs, and may be as much victims of the chief perpetrators who send them off to commit acts as the people who are bombed themselves. That is most often true in the case of religious suicide bombings, whereas other types of terrorist groups can operate in totally different ways than sending young, naive people to willingly die and take others with them.

Also, executing terrorists can create martyrs, something which must be avoided.

By necessity, it is only right that both suspected domestic militants and other potentially dangerous people are deprived of their privacy and freedom of movement for as long as they are deemed to pose a threat. There always has to be a balance between the constraints of reality and the ideals which society seeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    You're an idiot. Do you not see the inherent contradiction in your statement? I'd hope it would be obvious to anyone with a mental age greater than that of the average infant.
    sorry you had to neg but thanks for leaving your name(+rep)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    sorry you had to neg but thanks for leaving your name(+rep)
    Besides the fact that they are human and deserve human rights, acting immorally towards any captured terrorists would more likely than not create more terrorists (or at least terrorist sympathizers). This would contradict the intentions of any military force attempting to eradicate a terrorist force. Besides I doubt there are many things much worse than putting someone in solitary confinement for a life time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cultivated)
    No. Basic human rights isn't something to 'deserve' or punish one with. Everyone should have them.

Terrorists have been brainwashed (by something/someone) into believing something so wrong wrong wrong is right. Let them sit in ******* prison and give them some sort of 'guidance'.

I think it is a lot more complicated than simple brainwashing. There is a whole myriad of reasons behind why an individual would end his own life to kill others.

I think that "keeping moral superiority" is an arrogant justification for granting a human being basic rights, and reduces the morality of the act itself.

ReputationRep:
    Define terrorist first?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.