Turn on thread page Beta

Should terrorists have no human rights? watch

ReputationRep:
    lmao, as if human rights exists in this world. The country that holds the record for killing the most people in the world and starting the most ammount of wars relative to the ammount of years it has been independant is the one who decides who is a terrorist and who isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    I think it is a lot more complicated than simple brainwashing. There is a whole myriad of reasons behind why an individual would end his own life to kill others.

I think that "keeping moral superiority" is an arrogant justification for granting a human being basic rights, and reduces the morality of the act itself.
    Not only brainwashing, but I believe something triggers an individual to do such immoral thing - an experience that makes one angry, vulnerable and possibly confused. They feel that they've had enough and start seeing life from a twisted and different perspective with help from others (groups of extremists, terrorists - whatever you want to call them). They're then encouraged to believe (hence my use of the word 'brainwashing') they've been treated unfair by society or that they're killing in the name of 'Almighty' and are going to heaven.

They're like a bomb, waiting to explode any time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cultivated)
    Not only brainwashing, but I believe something triggers an individual to do such immoral thing - an experience that makes one angry, vulnerable and possibly confused.
    Like someones father being killed by an american missile, or someones son starving to death because of foreign economic sanctions. Or a pious Muslim who is outraged that foreign troops are allowed to establish a base on sacred Islamic holy land?

They feel that they've had enough and start seeing life from a twisted and different perspective with help from others (groups of extremists, terrorists - whatever you want to call them). They're then encouraged to believe (hence my use of the word 'brainwashing') they've been treated unfair by society
    So you are saying these people havent been treated unfairly?

I think it is time the western world (especially western Government) needs to start taking some responsiblity for creating these terrorists. It is simple action-reaction.

They're like a bomb, waiting to explode any time.
    A bomb that we have armed.

ReputationRep:
    everyone should be provided with human rights, we just have to look at the country where terrorists are from cause this what is called human rights for us, for them is just a meaningless issue. we believe in liberty and freedom of everything,like we want to see mosqe casue we consider it as a right to freely explore the world, whereas for them is a saint place where not muslims have no acces. by extending our freedoms, we exceed their rules based on their law and rules( which are usually not called human rights). there is a lot of contradictions between western world and the rest. but yes its rue, they went too far , and they've been brainwashed.

ReputationRep:
    An interesting article written this month on torture by English philosopher Roger Scruton in the American Spectator.

"Facing Torture"

http://spectator.org/archives/2009/07/13/facing-torture

ReputationRep:
    "Re: Should terrorists have no human rights?
    No. Basic human rights isn't something to 'deserve' or punish one with. Everyone should have them.
    Terrorists have been brainwashed (by something/someone) into believing something so wrong wrong wrong is right. Let them sit in ******* prison and give them some sort of 'guidance'. Taking their human rights away won't resolve any issues or bring death back to living."

-I know this discussion is from a while ago now but I just wanted to say don't you think having them sit in ******* prison is taking away some of their human rights in itself??? Human rights should be earned and they should be able to be removed! If taking away a person's human rights to protect hundreds maybe thousands of civilians then surely it is worth it. At the end of the day, the good of the many outweighs the good of the individual!

ReputationRep:
    If you're human, you get human rights. Simples

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a nice idea to say that they should be treated with certain human rights and all so that we don't ourselves become 'one of them', but if terrorists ended up hurting or killing any of my family or friends it would be a completely different story altogether.

ReputationRep:
    agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    Then what separates "us" and "them"? We need our moral superiority.
    Life is rarely that black and white. Besides the fact that morality is artificial anyway, no doubt many of "them" consider themselves to be in the right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xTazx)
    Define terrorist first?
    A terrorist is a martyr at one side and a villain at the other side.

So he is a .....Ying yang fighter!

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with the majority of posts in this thread.

Peaople say what seperates us from them? Well, I'd say it is our willing to live within the laws of society. When they decide to live outside of our rules in such a way, why should they still be granted the same priviledges as us? I personally think any human rights are granted on the basis that you live within the given rules, if you cannot, then you forefeit those rights. Now obviously, this is only in extreme cases, but that is my belief.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannielleg)
    "Re: Should terrorists have no human rights?
    No. Basic human rights isn't something to 'deserve' or punish one with. Everyone should have them.
    Terrorists have been brainwashed (by something/someone) into believing something so wrong wrong wrong is right. Let them sit in ******* prison and give them some sort of 'guidance'. Taking their human rights away won't resolve any issues or bring death back to living."

-I know this discussion is from a while ago now but I just wanted to say don't you think having them sit in ******* prison is taking away some of their human rights in itself??? Human rights should be earned and they should be able to be removed! If taking away a person's human rights to protect hundreds maybe thousands of civilians then surely it is worth it. At the end of the day, the good of the many outweighs the good of the individual!
    Please don't bump (nearly) two year old threads

Locking.

(Original post by No Future)
    If you're human, you get human rights. Simples
    Quite

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.