Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Would appreciate help on this matter Thanks in advance for reading I guess its more me getting someone on the outsides' point of view.

    The background: Just finished a BSc in Physiology at Newcastle after being rejected from medicine originally, disappointingly received a 2.2. Was rejected from Bristol after interview earlier this year. Been accepted at Utrecht university to study medicine, just heard from Bristol that they are willing to place me on the waiting list.

    Dilemma: I want to study medicine, full stop. It's been all i've been dreaming of for the past 5 years of my life, and I'm finally seeing things turn my way. Utrecht have guaranteed me a place to study medicine, and i've just filled out the final registration forms, however, Bristol have come knocking offering me a chance at studying there. I applied for Utrecht as a back up originally, and was absolutely gutted when I wasn't accepted at Bristol. I've since then phoned them up and they explained that I was near the top of their list of "reserves" but they can't guarantee me a place, and they've said that "if you hold a place at another university you should take that up".

    Help: I need help to set my mind straight as to what would be best for me. Here are the pros and cons for each I can think of:

    Bristol
    + World renown university
    + Great medical school
    + 5 year course
    + Taught in english (first language)
    + Close to home (at the minute)
    + Grown up in UK
    + Girlfriend is studying in UK
    + Previous degree will come in hand
    - Funding issues
    - Dislike England
    - NHS
    - Massive risk

    Utrecht
    + Best university for medicine in the Netherlands
    + Cheaper
    + I'm Dutch by origin
    + Good NHS
    + Place secured
    +/- Previous degree will come somewhat in hand (language issue)
    - 6 year course
    - Taught in dutch (mother tongue, but not extremely confident as I have never been taught in Dutch, other than the language class itself)
    - Further from home
    - Haven't lived there for 15 years

    The biggest issue is, I have to register in Utrecht by the first week in August, and Bristol won't find out if they will be taking "reserves" till around the 17th? The risk is that I give up my place at Utrecht for the chance that I get let in by Bristol. Also, if I decline my place at Utrecht, I won't be allowed to apply again for the next five years if, for some reason, things don't work out at Bristol. The other way around there would be no issue.

    Is the chance worth it? Or would I be jeopardising my future by choosing Bristol?


    I'll probably keep adding to this as I think of more, but any help would be appreciated! Would it be a good idea to write Bristol and explain them my dilemma to remain in their good books?
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    Why don't you ring Utrecht or email them explaining your situation and see if they can make an exception to your registration date?
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    where do you want to work after you qualify? if you arent too fussed then i would probs go with Utrecht. bristol is a big gamble and you would hate yourself if you miss out on a place. is there any reason why you cant register in august and still stay on bristol's waiting list? if you get a place then you can leave Utrecht. i dont know. its a tough decision. good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    I would just go with Utrecht. Studying med is almost like a once in a life time opportunity you don't want to miss it again!
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the answers people. I realise that I was lucky to even get a place at Utrecht, let alone a possible second at Bristol, but I can't help but feel that whichever I choose I will either be selling my self short, or making the biggest mistake of my life so :/. I'm writing a letter to Bristol as we speak to explain my situation and asking them to keep me on the list, and I will ring Utrecht later today to talk to them
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miki_da_magpie)
    Thanks for the answers people. I realise that I was lucky to even get a place at Utrecht, let alone a possible second at Bristol, but I can't help but feel that whichever I choose I will either be selling my self short, or making the biggest mistake of my life so :/. I'm writing a letter to Bristol as we speak to explain my situation and asking them to keep me on the list, and I will ring Utrecht later today to talk to them
    I wouldn't be taking any major chances and personally in your situation would be going to Utrecht. I would figure with Socrates exchange programs and electives I could spend around a year of my clinical years travelling around (or back to UK) anyway if I wanted to.

    If you wanted to work in UK post graduation you obviously wouldn't have any problems.

    Good luck.
 
 
 
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.