Turn on thread page Beta

When it comes to normal car parks - where do you park a motorbike? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I'm sorry if that question seems a little naïve but what do you do when you have to park your motorbike and there are no bays available? Do you just park in a normal bay then and would it be one bike to one bay etc? Also, when you pay and display, how do you ensure the ticket stays there?

Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    They normally say whether motorbkes are allowed in or not. The discrmnaton against us bikers is terrible, we take up less space than cars but there is no way of securing a ticket. People generally lie and say somebody must have taken it, but when I'm going out I stick it in a biker friendly car park. Failing that, park it in the most obstructive place possible, like in front of the ticket machine

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I've never thought about how bikers display their tickets! How do you do it?

ReputationRep:
    In the wind shield if you have one, if not, write motorbike and your reg on it, take a picture and hope it stays there.

IF we have to park in a car space, we park as many bikes in it as we can, then only pay for the number of car parking spaces we use.

Normally there are bike parks around. If you see a warden ask them where the nearest bike parking is.

ReputationRep:
    In Southampton many of the public car parks have a bay that says 'M/C Only' and Motorbikes can park for free in there And there's loads of bays around the city that are like the size of one car parking space which are marked out for 4 bikes. Again, for free. Very convenient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bathwiggle)
    In the wind shield if you have one, if not, write motorbike and your reg on it, take a picture and hope it stays there.

IF we have to park in a car space, we park as many bikes in it as we can, then only pay for the number of car parking spaces we use.

Normally there are bike parks around. If you see a warden ask them where the nearest bike parking is.
    Ah ok - and they don't usually object to you shoving two bikes in one space for only one ticket?

(Original post by Talya)
    In Southampton many of the public car parks have a bay that says 'M/C Only' and Motorbikes can park for free in there And there's loads of bays around the city that are like the size of one car parking space which are marked out for 4 bikes. Again, for free. Very convenient.
    You don't sound like you have it too bad! I think in Oxford, where I am, there are about 50 or so dedicated motorcycle spaces thrown across the entire city. However, I do think (Errm not sure) that they are free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    Ah ok - and they don't usually object to you shoving two bikes in one space for only one ticket?

You don't sound like you have it too bad! I think in Oxford, where I am, there are about 50 or so dedicated motorcycle spaces thrown across the entire city. However, I do think (Errm not sure) that they are free.
    In colchester there are loads of bike spaces which are free.

I''ve had one guy who complained, but i reasoned with him it says nowhere only one vehicle per a space, and as 2 bikes fitted in one space it was perfectly reasonable. No where else complains, mainly as if you use 2 spaces you pay for 2, if we're only in one, i will only pay for one.

ReputationRep:
    you usually don't have to use pay and display unless there are designated parking spaces; a ticket on a bike simply won't stay there. it varies council to council, but the general consensous is that as long as you're not in a bay or causing an obstruction, you'll be fine (within the usual rules obviouslt)

ReputationRep:
    Never paid to park the bike. At times just shove it on the pavement and lock it to the nearest lamppost, traffic wardens have never said anything as long as it doesn't cause an obstruction.

ReputationRep:
    Wherever you like. You can fit a bike in just about anywhere, don't need to go poncing around looking for car parks. Just stick it right outside your destination.

I'm MOTing my Suzuki this week, can't bloody wait! Haven't been for a proper ride for ages!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.