Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Calorie Cycling - 2 week bulk/1 week cut diet? Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.leehayward.com/art16.htm

I just came across this and was wondering what the regulars thoughts were on this article. All this time i've known bulking phases/diets to last for 3-6 months, and then the same/maybe a little less for cutting diets. But here its like 2 weeks on and 1 week off to increase absorption of cals?!

Thoughts guys.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    I was under the impression that you had to get your CNS used to having the extra muscle of a bulk before you cut or else it just cut that muscle you just gained?

ReputationRep:
    Well I doubt the 1 week less cals is a propper cut, just a non-bulking diet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    I was under the impression that you had to get your CNS used to having the extra muscle of a bulk before you cut or else it just cut that muscle you just gained?
    That doesn't make much sense to be honest. Even when some starves themselves the body will priorities the muscles over fat since fat is after all the energy reserve. Only when the level of fat falls gets low will it go after the muscles has a the main energy source.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stettin)
    That doesn't make much sense to be honest. Even when some starves themselves the body will priorities the muscles over fat since fat is after all the energy reserve. Only when the level of fat falls gets low will it go after the muscles has a the main energy source.
    Are you sure about that?

ReputationRep:
    Well, the way Iv read it before is that the body sheds muscle which is new because your CNS isnt used to having it so it doesnt count that as normal. After all, your body is just attempting to stay what it thinks is normal..

ReputationRep:
    don't be gay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stettin)
    Only when the level of fat falls gets low will it go after the muscles has a the main energy source.
    Your body would be likely to burn the muscle first.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure about that?
    Yeah. There were several cases of eating disorder in my old school. We had like a meeting with some old woman who came to give us "facts". I asked her why the body would use the muscles has the main source of energy when the fat reserve is the backup energy reserve. Surely in Ancient times our ancestors went through famines. If their muscles were wasting away before their fat was touched. How would they catch their next meal.

She clarified to me that the body is always using a small amount of muscle but when the fat levels goes really low. The body just chomps through the muscle until it touches the heart muscle and the starving person dies from heart attack or something like that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.