The Student Room Group

Options after Biomed...

Hey guys,
I just wanted to find out if it was important I do an acreditted degree for Biomed if I want to go into industry like pharmaceuticals in the future? Also, how rewarding/flexible is a career in biomed and what opportunities are there for career progression, as in how far can you go with it? This is because at the moment I'm thinking that I would like to do Biomed and go into industry (eg.Glaxo,Pfizer) and obviously start from the bottom but work my way up and hopefully secure a place in a more manegerial position in the future, as I'm intrested in Science and Business and this seems like an appropriate way to experince working in both. Feel free to let me know what you think and your advice on anything.
Much appreciated.
x
a acreditted degree degree is important if you want to go and work as a biomed on the NHS and like that, to be on the HPC

http://www.ibms.org/index.cfm?method=education_and_careers.biomedical_science_courses

industry i don't think its that important, they look at more like results and that, maybe helped along by a masters or PhD, masters and that help even in biomed for manegerial position
Reply 2
thnx..i just wanted to make sure because loads of other threads mention how its like uber important to do an acreditted degree..what about working in industry?..a gd path to follow?
smoddy24
thnx..i just wanted to make sure because loads of other threads mention how its like uber important to do an acreditted degree..what about working in industry?..a gd path to follow?

A biomedical accredited degree won't help you much if you choose to go into industry... accreditation is important for working in the NHS as a biomedical scientist and career progression within that.

Why don't you rather think about doing a BSc (Hons) Pharmacology or something like that especially if you plan on working for a pharmaceutical company?

There's nothing wrong with doing a biomed (accredited or not) degree, but it all depends what you wanna end up doing with it. I'm planning to either do a Masters, etc or getting on a clinical science programme in the NHS, but like I said, we all have difference aims.

I hope that was helpful.
Reply 4
yhh thnxx..im not sure about other courses, i havnt really looked into it yet, but it was basically medicine or something involving science..ive definately ruled out medecine, i just cant see myself going through with it so that's why i chose biomed and it seems like a really interesting subject anyways..

what kind of stuff do you learn? i know like some of the common modules but what's it all like? is it hard?
Reply 5
Two words: Industrial placement.
Reply 6
what do you mean? i should do an industrial placement at uni? that's a gd idea i mean i would do it definately.
Has anyone got any ideas about what its like working in industry with biomed?
smoddy24
yhh thnxx..im not sure about other courses, i havnt really looked into it yet, but it was basically medicine or something involving science..ive definitely ruled out medecine, i just cant see myself going through with it so that's why i chose biomed and it seems like a really interesting subject anyways..

what kind of stuff do you learn? i know like some of the common modules but what's it all like? is it hard?

its not that hard, most uni's use the first few weeks to bring everyone up to the same level, then goes from there, as long as you keep on top of notes and reading its fine, your find at uni you don't need to read everything, otherwise your need like 20 extra hours a week :p:
Reply 8
smoddy24
what do you mean? i should do an industrial placement at uni? that's a gd idea i mean i would do it definitely.
Has anyone got any ideas about what its like working in industry with biomed?

Yeah definitely.
Reply 9
robinson999
its not that hard, most uni's use the first few weeks to bring everyone up to the same level, then goes from there, as long as you keep on top of notes and reading its fine, your find at uni you don't need to read everything, otherwise your need like 20 extra hours a week :p:

thats ok i supose..does anyone now what its like working in industry? like is it a good career path, what are the prospects like?
Reply 10
smoddy24
Hey guys,
I just wanted to find out if it was important I do an acreditted degree for Biomed if I want to go into industry like pharmaceuticals in the future? Also, how rewarding/flexible is a career in biomed and what opportunities are there for career progression, as in how far can you go with it? This is because at the moment I'm thinking that I would like to do Biomed and go into industry (eg.Glaxo,Pfizer) and obviously start from the bottom but work my way up and hopefully secure a place in a more manegerial position in the future, as I'm intrested in Science and Business and this seems like an appropriate way to experince working in both. Feel free to let me know what you think and your advice on anything.
Much appreciated.
x

This is probably a really stupid question, but what do you mean by an acreditted degree?
xrachelxo
This is probably a really stupid question, but what do you mean by an acreditted degree?

IBMS accredited courses

About IBMS accredited courses
The Institute accredits honours level degrees in biomedical science and named Masters degree relevant to biomedical science. The IBMS’s programme of accreditation plays a key role in the education of biomedical scientists and helps to ensure that students are suitably trained upon entering the profession. The accreditation process, developed in tandem with HUCBMS (Heads of University Centres for Biomedical Science), assesses the university for academic content of the degree, learning outcomes and assessment, delivery, quality assurance and involvement of the profession in the development and delivery of the course. Accreditation is normally awarded for five years and universities view the process as an endorsement by the professional body. The accreditation process has led to an important foundation of dialogue and collaboration to further enhance the education of biomedical scientists.

Guide to IBMS accredited undergraduate degree programmes in biomedical science

For those wishing to register with the Health Professions Council, the undergraduate programmes are also approved for HPC registration and are to be used in conjunction with laboratory training for completion of the Institute's Certificate of Competence Registration Portfolio.

Applicants seeking a route to HPC registration or Institute membership who hold a non-accredited science degree will be required to have their degree assessed by the Institute. It may be necessary for individuals to undertake additional learning to acquire the requisite level of knowledge. The exact requirement will depend on the content of the applicant’s honours degree and universities may charge full cost for the additional study.

in other words, if you want to work within the NHS as a biomed, you need to do a accredited degree

Latest

Trending

Trending