Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Something which; doesn't surprise me- but confuses me now over what this means for nursing, the bbc report says;

He said the shift to the neutral stance would allow nurses who were asked about it to engage in dialogue with patients
    so we're allowed to talk about it, discuss it with patients but not support it?

I'm surprised, only 1,200 out of around 400,000 voted, on such a big decision, shouldn't they have pushed the vote furthur?

Everyone else how do you feel about a major nursing organisation becoming neutral on the subject?

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how anyone at all (apart from the strictest religious folf) can be against assisted suicide. As long as it is regulated correctly, such as it is in places like Switzerland, then I honestly can't see how peopel can oppose it, if you were in their situation or a family member was then it is often the kindest option.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.rcn.org.uk/newsevents/new...sisted_suicide

If I were a nurse or nursing student I'd wait for the guidance and continue to act in ways that fitted within my personal and professional ethical frameworks...it's a very, very complex subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftuk)
    http://www.rcn.org.uk/newsevents/new...sisted_suicide

If I were a nurse or nursing student I'd wait for the guidance and continue to act in ways that fitted within my personal and professional ethical frameworks...it's a very, very complex subject.

definately, im going to obviously wait to see what the NMC say, but if the RCN has this stance...well, its interesting

ReputationRep:
    Only neutral? Is there any chance of a major body supporting assisted suicide any time soon?

ReputationRep:
    I know I'm not a nurse, but why would nursing staff be anything other than neutral? They are in a position of trust to many vulnerable people and could easily sway decisions.

Out of interest, what were they before? Opposed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnanimity)
    I know I'm not a nurse, but why would nursing staff be anything other than neutral? They are in a position of trust to many vulnerable people and could easily sway decisions.

Out of interest, what were they before? Opposed?

yeah they were opposed. Nurses are political too...we act neutral, but we also have a big say in many decisions, and if a union has decided to change its views, its a start

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    yeah they were opposed. Nurses are political too...we act neutral, but we also have a big say in many decisions, and if a union has decided to change its views, its a start
    I agree with the union changing it's views to be a good thing but I don't think nurses on the 'front line' as such should really express views on euthanasia, particularly when a patient may be very distressed. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnanimity)
    I agree with the union changing it's views to be a good thing but I don't think nurses on the 'front line' as such should really express views on euthanasia, particularly when a patient may be very distressed. What do you think?
    well no ofcourse in pratice, and you go on your best judgment in that situation, BUT...it might mean we can discuss it with patients, not advocate it, but discuss..and atm we can't, i think, but im probably wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davey jones)
    do remember that the HPC pretty much follows what the RCN does, get the BMA on board and you pretty much have yourself a party. I dont think this is really meant to change things at ground level for nursing staff. What it will do is begin a change in political opinion (remember that RCN is a union and unions lobby government ((and occasionally fund political parties))), and hopefully then a policy shift. it has been coming a long time.
    No, it's far more complex than that. The RCN's actions certainly are considered by other professional bodies, but those professional bodies do not follow the RCN - you only have to look at education to see that.

The HPC is a regulating body, equivalent to the GMC and the NMC. If you want the equivalent of the RCN, then you are looking at individual professional bodies, e.g. COT, CSP, SCP amongst others. Some of those contract out some of their union aspects to others (e.g. COT membership gives you Unison membership).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.