The Student Room Group

Do you think the media stereotypes about young people are justified?

Poll

Do you think the media stereotypes about young people are justified?

I hear a lot of youths complaining about the stereotypes....but let's be honest...95% seem to fit the bill perfectly. I think we are by and large a load of bing drinking, disrfespectful, vacuous scumbags who worship tv shows and the internet

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
PAPAdawg
I hear a lot of youths complaining about the stereotypes....but let's be honest...95% seem to fit the bill perfectly. I think we are by and large a load of bing drinking, disrfespectful, vacuous scumbags who worship tv shows and the internet

Where are you getting that 95% from?
95% ? Do you know what you're talking about by any chance.

If five youth in " Hoodies " rob a shop and get caught and it goes on the news , then everyone who wears a hoodies is a thief or a possible thief , this is rubbish. I wear hoodies and I'm a just and respectful person , and don't rob shops.

So no !.
Reply 3
PAPAdawg

Speak for yourself. I hate bing.
Reply 4
i havent just plucked it out the air and nor is it based on how many ''hoodies'' i know oir any such superficial rubbish...i'm talking aboiut the attitudes, in terms of lack of respect and curiosity, of the pretty wide range of young people i have met. And the lack of control over drink pretty much speaks for itself.....you lot have obviously never been to a house party
Reply 5
PAPAdawg
i havent just plucked it out the air and nor is it based on how many ''hoodies'' i know oir any such superficial rubbish...

So where did you get it from? The Mail? You sound like someone who's just subscribed to all this silliness. As has been said, it's all ridiculous generalisations, because the media like the worst of us. They report only on them; in this way the rest of us (the sane lot) are demonized. It's so patronising.
Reply 6
not 95%....

but the people that do fit the stereotype are just that bad it's overwhelming for us saints
Reply 7
Based on the people who hang around outside my apartment, yes.
Reply 8
Haeron
because the media like the worst of us. They report only on them; in this way the rest of us (the sane lot) are demonized. It's so patronising.

not just the worst of us...the worst of everyone!! lack of virtue brings in the $$$ :coma:!!!
Reply 9
jhukranti
not just the worst of us...the worst of everyone!! lack of virtue brings in the $$$ :coma:!!!

Exactly; it's not our problem, it's the media's! :mad:
No because they are just that, stereotypes. It's far too easy to tar everyone with the same brush but we aren't all chavvy yobs :nah:
Reply 11
PAPAdawg

I have never come across such complete and utter rubbish, with all due respect and I am perplexed about how you have been brainwashed. I personally see the media as a tool that is abused by using it to manipulate the way people think. It's increasing sophistication unfortunately gives people more reason to believe what its showing to be true. The BBC broadcasts the same rubbish consistently and has very little variety in content, which demonstrates how narrow it is. Yet, its Britain's most trusted news channel. Give me a break.
Reply 12
Haeron
So where did you get it from? The Mail? You sound like someone who's just subscribed to all this silliness. As has been said, it's all ridiculous generalisations, because the media like the worst of us. They report only on them; in this way the rest of us (the sane lot) are demonized. It's so patronising.

:facepalm:

PAPAdawg

i havent just plucked it out the air and nor is it based on how many ''hoodies'' i know oir any such superficial rubbish...i'm talking aboiut the attitudes, in terms of lack of respect and curiosity, of the pretty wide range of young people i have met. And the lack of control over drink pretty much speaks for itself.....you lot have obviously never been to a house party
From personal experience this is quite true.
Reply 14
Yemun, we're a bunch of bitches.
Reply 15
PAPAdawg

Do you see the contradiction?
Reply 16
Haeron
Do you see the contradiction?

No. Show how it is a contrdiction. Disagreeing with me is not grounds for a contradiction by the way. Please, show me.
I don't think they're justified. I'd say that there are more well-behaved young people around than yobs, it's just that stories about young people doing good or just going around being average don't make for brilliant headlines.
Reply 18
PAPAdawg

I would actually place a bet that this is a troll, lol.

:troll: :troll: :troll:
Reply 19
PAPAdawg
No. Show how it is a contrdiction. Disagreeing with me is not grounds for a contradiction by the way. Please, show me.

You're saying it's not the hoodies that you know (because you think that would be superficial, and you're correct) but rather the number of young people you've met. There is very little difference, and whether or not it's a wide range that you've met is entirely subjective.

Latest

Trending

Trending