Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think the media stereotypes about young people are justified? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you think the media stereotypes about young people are justified?
    yes
    36.36%
    no
    63.64%

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, most people I know fit the stereotype.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haeron)
    You're saying it's not the hoodies that you know (because you think that would be superficial, and you're correct) but rather the number of young people you've met. There is very little difference, and whether or not it's a wide range that you've met is entirely subjective.
    Nope, i was not using hoodies as a synonym for young people. I was just saying i thought that what people where, look like is not adequate criteria for judging a young person as ''bad''. I was however, basing my OP on the ATTITUDES of the people i knew.....i only added the hoody comment as a qualification in case people accused me of judging people based on what they wore...as many old people do

ReputationRep:
    i don't drink and im not disrespectful , so I must be the exception

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PAPAdawg)
    Nope, i was not using hoodies as a synonym for young people. I was just saying i thought that what people where, look like is not adequate criteria for judging a young person as ''bad''. I was however, basing my OP on the ATTITUDES of the people i knew.....i only added the hoody comment as a qualification in case people accused me of judging people based on what they wore...as many old people do
    Ah right; given the prevalence of the term 'hoodie' (even by David Cameron) being used just as a generalization for young people, this is how it came across to me. My point can't stand, so I apologize.

I still disagree though :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haeron)
    Exactly; it's not our problem, it's the media's! :mad:
    well, we've all got problems too that we each need to fix...no doubtin' that!

ReputationRep:
    I agree, actually. For everyone saying 'AHA I'M NOT', we make about 10%. Everyone in my school (good grammar) drinks, loads of them smoke, they're complete tarts, go on drugs and are generally rowdy. This is in every school I know, whether dodgy or even single sex private schools. Ok, 'hoodies' stabbing people are a small minority but I have met only a handful of people with productive interests who have actual hobbies and don't follow their friends/get pissed all the time/sit on Facwbook and get into trouble.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.