The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
rakata
I don't have a Sponsor 2... I just live with my mum :s-smilie: Do they know this or what? :s-smilie: I'm so confused man!

You need evidence to prove this, such as a council tax bill or divorce papers.
Reply 181
Isn't the 0845 number supposed to be free on a BT landline (from the ad on tv)?
I'm not sure but not everyone's on BT.
Reply 183
nikkila
They'd completely messed up my application so I'd only get an average loan, hopefully their fixing it now though. I'm definitely going to open up a Natwest account, although I'm having trouble doing it online so will probably do it in store. Anyone know how to get round the ucas number issue with their opening accounts online thing?

I opened one with Natwest a few weeks ago. I did the online stuff with the help of a Natwest rep (those 'Chat' things) and then they send loads of stuff in the post.

You can leave the UCAS box blank :smile:
rakata
OK so this is what my online thingy says on SFE-

Application Summary
Name **
Academic Year 2009/10
Institution LEEDS UNIVERSITY
Course ARABIC & SPANISH
Status Approved - Awaiting Signature
Submitted Date 13/02/2009
View your originally submitted details
Status

We have processed your application although we are waiting on more information. This is to ensure you have some student finance in place when you begin your course.
We have been unable to carry out a full financial assessment due to the reason(s) listed below.

* Sponsor 2 financial evidence not provided

I don't have a Sponsor 2... I just live with my mum :s-smilie: Do they know this or what? :s-smilie: I'm so confused man!

I got this as well. Apparently Sponsor 2 IS your Mum, and Sponsor 1 is always your Dad, for some ****** up 19th century reason.

So yeah they know it, they just haven't got / got around to your mum's financial information. Because they are *****.
Reply 185
AmyJ
I opened one with Natwest a few weeks ago. I did the online stuff with the help of a Natwest rep (those 'Chat' things) and then they send loads of stuff in the post.

You can leave the UCAS box blank :smile:

I went online today and opened a Natwest account, they don't even have the ucas number bit any more! I guess they must have realised there was a bit of an issue. Are they still doing the free memory stick thing if you do it online? What stuff comes in the post?
littleshambles
I got this as well. Apparently Sponsor 2 IS your Mum, and Sponsor 1 is always your Dad, for some ****** up 19th century reason.

Like your dad being the family's main financial provider? :awesome:
Reply 187
nikkila
I went online today and opened a Natwest account, they don't even have the ucas number bit any more! I guess they must have realised there was a bit of an issue. Are they still doing the free memory stick thing if you do it online? What stuff comes in the post?

I think the first thing you get is a checklist of paperwork that you need to send in for them to complete your application; ie one item which proves your student status (UCAS/Uni letter), one item which confirms your identity (birth certificate/NHS medical card etc), an R85 form if it applies and then you have to sign and return the printed application form.

After that they send out your account number etc, PIN, online banking registration details and so on. You have to sign up for 'paperless statements' using online banking if you want the free railcard, but I haven't heard anything about that yet. I think they are still offering the 4GB flash pen too :smile:
rakata
OK so this is what my online thingy says on SFE-

Application Summary
Name **
Academic Year 2009/10
Institution LEEDS UNIVERSITY
Course ARABIC & SPANISH
Status Approved - Awaiting Signature
Submitted Date 13/02/2009
View your originally submitted details
Status

We have processed your application although we are waiting on more information. This is to ensure you have some student finance in place when you begin your course.
We have been unable to carry out a full financial assessment due to the reason(s) listed below.

* Sponsor 2 financial evidence not provided

I also only live with my mom and it said 'sponsor 2 financial evidence not provided' on my form, too. I phoned and asked, and they told me that the mother is always called sponsor 2, even if they are your only sponsor.

Edited to add: Someone already answered this, sorry. I should have read the rest of the thread first -_-
hey guys ive just written a 500 word to student finance looool do i send this to the normal student fiannce address below ...???Student Finance England PO Box 210 Darlington DL1 9HJ.....?
Reply 190
After 4 months waiting.. they FINALLY tell me that they've lost my evidence... so we have to send it again! *****
Reply 191
they're taking the p***

i urgently need my passport back and when i log on to my account it doesnt even say if they recieved it (i sent it over 2 weeks ago and i applied almost 3 weeks ago)
i can't get through when i try to call them :frown:

how long did you all wait to get your evidence back? well i don't mean p60s cuz i know it takes them longer to look at them and tbh i'm not really worried about those.
Reply 192
I got my passport back within the 5 day frame... :frown: Have you tried nagging them about it?
Reply 193
no cuz when i try to ring them i can't even get through
but i'm definately going to try again tomorrow and then monday

it's really stressing me out because they probably lost it or something :frown:
Reply 194
Just saw this thread and would like to add what a complete bureaucratic disaster Student Finance is.

Just got a letter saying I can't get any extra finance because one of my parents hasn't provided financial details.

Which is fairly astounding considering the details of both of my parents were sent in the same ******* letter.
student finane is ********
sent of my application in april still aint sorted yet :angry:
Reply 197
miz_perfecto
hey guys ive just written a 500 word to student finance looool do i send this to the normal student fiannce address below ...???Student Finance England PO Box 210 Darlington DL1 9HJ.....?

Yeah :smile:
Xei
Just saw this thread and would like to add what a complete bureaucratic disaster Student Finance is.

Just got a letter saying I can't get any extra finance because one of my parents hasn't provided financial details.

Which is fairly astounding considering the details of both of my parents were sent in the same ******* letter.

Same thing has just happened to me.

Plus they've told me they need proof of my identity...after they've sent back my birth certificate.

Idiots :nothing:

Oh and I can't get through to them because their ''operators are busy'' - doing what?! ******* up everyone elses applications?
Reply 199
Don't know if this has been posted as I haven't been on here for a while, but basically I submitted complaints about their operators trying to say I messed up my own application, when I didn't, and also about how useless they were being at changing it.

Had a few emails with someone from Glasgow office, then the other day, out of a blue, a witheld number calls me and I get a voicemail saying it's Student Finance to discuss my complaint and they'd phone back at 2pm.

When he phoned back he explained he was some kind of manager from Darlington and he was very helpful and basically asked me to go through what the problems were, and agreed that it’s not my fault, but that it’s the system (whereas, although he didn't say it, the normal phone operators just stick to the script “it says here you haven’t ticked it….so you haven’t ticked it” type thing, but as he was a manager he knew what was going on and could fix mine without higher authorisation or something).

He said he can understand the system changing me to having not requesting any of the loans (as happened to others that I know, and some on here I believe) because to request the loan you used to have to supply contact details for 2 people. I don't have 2 people to supply, so couldn’t have given them details even if they wanted it, so I left it blank, as the new regulations now say that you do not have to provide details of 2 contacts anymore, as long as you provide your national insurance number. I provided NI number, but the system basically hasn't been setup properly to recognise the new regulations, and so is going by the old way of no contacts = no loans. And I've told my mates and the ones with problems are ones who also didn't supply contact details for 2 people.

So they changed it all on the phone and said check online and it should be updated tomorrow (Thursday). It seems to be right now, but it's putting me down as having requested maximum tuition fee, when I made it clear all the way through, and on the phone (as he double checked I was sure the figure was right!) that it was £1,285. But the uni should correct that anyway, if they don't and SLC want me to repay all 3k then I'll complain at a later date, but can't be bothered to now otherwise they'll break something and my loan/grant will disappear!

So anyone on here having problems with the loans apparently not being requested, even though they were, did you also not give contact details? Would have thought the call centre staff would be informed of the situation though, and so wouldn’t go blaming students for doing it wrong, when the system is at fault :banghead:

Glad it got sorted in the end anyway, well I hope! Getting a new declaration and form to give to the uni in the next few days :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending