Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In terms of getting my letters and loans and grants ect. As far as I can tell (and I'm not an expert) everything is going ok...But

In basic terms, I am 18 years old and due to start my first year at uni, I applied to student finance. Unfortunately, my parents passed away recently which meant I had to send off the death certificates of my parents when I applied... Which I understand because they need to check these things... I then got my confirmations of loans and grants ect. I have now recently recieved the death certificates back. What is my issue you ask?

Well, they were sent back in seperate envelopes, and on each envelope written in pen by hand (so computer error cannot be blamed) were the names of my parents, not me... so in essence my dads death certificate was sent to my dad, and my mum's was sent to my mum. This caused me a lot of distress and I feel that it was rather insensitive of them to do this.

ReputationRep:
    I think that is definately cause to make an official complaint to be fair. SFE will have a record of who processed this for you, and I agree, it's really insensitive to do that.

I got my letter of financial notification today but there was nothing for me to sign. I've also checked my account online and it says approved not approved awaiting signature so I'm guessing that is correct.

The only thing I've signed with the SFE was my application forn when I sent it out the first time. Is this right?

Also, I've been non-income assessed and I know a lot of people are also on the same line however does anyone know how long it'l take for me to be income assessed?

ReputationRep:
    I've sent my signature twice now and its still saying Awaiting Signature... argh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seedy Jay)
    I've sent my signature twice now and its still saying Awaiting Signature... argh.

i sent mine over a month ago still nothing phoned them up tehy said wait another two weeks and i wrote a complaint letter sent it of two weeks ago and nothing:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Finally got all my finance sorted after applying at the start of May. Lodged an appeal couple weeks back and now all sorted.

ReputationRep:
    Im glad to find that its not jus me who has got a major problem with student finance. Its not even as if they made a little mistake..

1st............................ They have given me a non income asesed loan dispite aplying for the full thing and sending they all ny parents financial details about 2 months ago#

2nd............................I havnt received anything about receiving a grant dispit aplying for it

3rd............................. Im dyslexic and should get some DSA. I sent of my aplication and an up to date assesment from a dyslexia specilist ( shes infact about to become head of a learning disibility department at a new school hence defnitltly qualified) They said however that amy aplication has not got an up to date diagnoses even tho it ws done a month ago and it wasnt done by a specilist grrrrrrrrr

4th ............................. I rang up about a week ago and asked what i needed to do as it said my aplication wasnt compleat.. I spoke to a girl , sh hadnt hurd of DSA and then told me wt i only needed to sign form and directed me to a percific form on the internet. IT was the wrong bloody form tho. Litraly 10 minnets after signing it the post man came with the right one. It ws just a decloration (not easily mistaken for the other)

And most anoying iv been ringing for the last 3 or 4 days and havent even been put into a call que it says all operators are bussy and to call back.. Im actuly reddy to kill someone,

ReputationRep:
    I take it all of you complaining are dealing with the English Student Finance. I'm from Northern Ireland and I've never had any problems with my local library board (equivalent to LEA). I'm going into my third year and I haven't had a problem yet. For this year's finance I applied in March, had my application assessed and approved by May and got my payment schedule last month. Sorted.
    Also I remember 2 years ago when I was going to my insurance uni rather than my firm. They had CO1 processed and a new awards letter sent out to me in less than a week.
    Not trying to rub salt in your wounds or anything but it just seems that the whole student finance system in England is a total mess at the moment. Of course it could be that you probably have more applicants but you would think that they would of countered that by employing more staff to deal with the extra demand.

I really feel sorry for all of you that haven't got their finance sorted out by now especially those that applied early enough but have been messed around by student finance up to this point. If it were me I'd be angry too :mad:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falling_Angel)

3rd............................. Im dyslexic and should get some DSA. I sent of my aplication and an up to date assesment from a dyslexia specilist ( shes infact about to become head of a learning disibility department at a new school hence defnitltly qualified) They said however that amy aplication has not got an up to date diagnoses even tho it ws done a month ago and it wasnt done by a specilist grrrrrrrrr
    hi, i just sore this and thought id tell you, i sent my dsa off months ago and my head of disiblilty and my uni said it woud be rejected as it didnt have anything about the ed psych with the assessment and it was for school not for higher education etc, so id have to be reassed when i got there.... dsa did reject it and asked for a more deeper better dylseixa assement, even though my most recent 1 was only done a few months ago. just thought id let you know xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superman!)
    hi, i just sore this and thought id tell you, i sent my dsa off months ago and my head of disiblilty and my uni said it woud be rejected as it didnt have anything about the ed psych with the assessment and it was for school not for higher education etc, so id have to be reassed when i got there.... dsa did reject it and asked for a more deeper better dylseixa assement, even though my most recent 1 was only done a few months ago. just thought id let you know xxx
    you will definitely need an assessment from an ed psych not a teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zack)
    Don't know if this has been posted as I haven't been on here for a while, but basically I submitted complaints about their operators trying to say I messed up my own application, when I didn't, and also about how useless they were being at changing it.

Had a few emails with someone from Glasgow office, then the other day, out of a blue, a witheld number calls me and I get a voicemail saying it's Student Finance to discuss my complaint and they'd phone back at 2pm.

When he phoned back he explained he was some kind of manager from Darlington and he was very helpful
    I did this too and it worked!!!

Don't phone them up, go bang your head against a brick wall for an hour and a half instead.

Email [email protected]. Leave your details. Wait a few days. Someone will call you and sort it all out.

I've just come off the phone with a guy who sorted it all out within about 10 minutes! Even though they had lost my application twice. He's sending 2 forms for me to sign and that's it, done. Just shows how simple it all is when they cut through all the crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    you will definitely need an assessment from an ed psych not a teacher.
    mine was from an ed pysch.... it was the boruouhs ed pscyh.
    :/

ReputationRep:
    to update everyone my student finance has been approved it been updated from non income assessed to income assessed they finally processed my mum evidence sent it june bit when im looking online it says the loan request form has not been completed??? anyone know what thats about

ReputationRep:
    Student Finance are c***suckers!!!

I have been trying to get a loan since late Feb 2009 and they made so many mistakes and blamed it on me.

Finally in June I got a letter stating that everything has been approved and got a Payment Schedule Letter and Financial Notification saying what and when would be paid.

So I have to enrol on 4 September at the college for a start date of 7 September.

Get ready for this.....

I received a letter on 3rd September dated 26th August telling me due to a admin error at SFE, my application has been wrongly assessed and it is being re-assessed, I called them and all phones are switched off.

Quickly checked online and find a GIF of a letter in the Correspondence dated 27 August that they have received information that my circumstances have changed and that they are reducing my loan by £600 - my circumstances have not changed, nor have I sent them a CO1 form. This letter has yet to arrive, I only found out when I checked today.

I called them today and waited for 50 mins on the phone and spoke to a scottish girl of whom i could not undertstand, she said there was a admin error, when I asked about the letter stating my circumstances, she denied such a letter existed and said she could not see it on the system, yet i had it on my screen. I asked what circumstances of mine was supposed to have changed - she said under the Data Protection Act, she could not tell me, I slammed the phone down.

After I calmed down, I called them back and spoke to another girl - one with an English accent, she said she will look into it and call me back, this was 10am, by 6pm no call back.

I called them at 6.30pm, spoke to a Scottish male of whom again I could not understand, again he said they tried to call me aand my phone was not answered - ******** - my phone has caller ID and no calls where made ot me today and again he claimed under Data Protection Act he could not tell me what the so called change of circumstance they received. He said someone will call me over the next 5 days.

He also said a 'new' Financial Notification Letter has been sent out and it will be with me within 10 to 14 days !!!!!

NOW - their phone are switched off and website is down

I am due to enrol tomorrow 4 September and I have no Financial Notification Letter and spoke to my college and they said I cannot enrol without it.

So no money, no college.

Thanks Student Finance England you c***sucking c***s, I have now lost my college place.

ReputationRep:
    Just spoke to SF again and this is their latest excuse....

Anyone doing PCGE/Cert Ed (that is all 7000 of us) have had their loan reduced by £553 due to a software glitch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is supposed to be been given priority and programmers are being called in to repair the software so it releases the true loan amount we are entitled to. Letters have been sent to people doing this Cert Ed course and colleges and universities have been emailed stating that the ********* said 'No' when it should have said 'yes'.

Whether this is true or not I do not know as I have had so many lies from SF now.

So be aware if you are doing the PGCE/Cert Ed course, you will be £553 short

ReputationRep:
    hi..i applied for a maintenace grant as i live with my grandad who is disabled and does not work..and i will be living with him during my years at university..but when i looked at my online application and clicked on view payments it said student support loan...i dont understand why i have recived this when what i asked for is maintenace grant..however this stduent support loan also says "blocked"..i have literally no money for busfair to get to university and i am struggling what should i do? is there anyway this can change?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luvable_lady)
    hi..i applied for a maintenace grant as i live with my grandad who is disabled and does not work..and i will be living with him during my years at university..but when i looked at my online application and clicked on view payments it said student support loan...i dont understand why i have recived this when what i asked for is maintenace grant..however this stduent support loan also says "blocked"..i have literally no money for busfair to get to university and i am struggling what should i do? is there anyway this can change?
    When you applied online you must have ticked that you wanted a loan

It will be paid to you next week after your NI number has been checked and then your payments will be unblocked

I must point out that your grandad's income is not taken into account unless he has adopted you.

You will either be assessed on your parents income or you will be classed as an 'independent student'

Either way, you will be assessed for the grant in a month or so.

If you have no money speak to your college about an emergency payment from their 'Access to Learning Fund'

ReputationRep:
    thank you, would there be any chance of me changing it to a maintenance grant??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luvable_lady)
    thank you, would there be any chance of me changing it to a maintenance grant??
    If I had your application form in front of me then I would be able to tell you exactly what to do

However, as I don't know your situation and what was on your original app then I would be able to advise you

Hang on, I'll PM you

ReputationRep:
    hello, thankyou to all of you who have helped me. i just have another question i would like to ask. my grandad is terminally ill, and the doctor said he could pass away anytime now, so i was wondering if i would be able to apply for some sort of accomadation paid by student finance now so i have a place to live if he does pass away anytime soon. thanks again and i hope to receive a reply soon. i have no other family.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.