Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luvable_lady)
    hi was wondering if i would be able to apply for some sort of accomadation paid by student finance now so i have a place to live if he does pass away anytime soon.
    I'm really sorry to hear about your grandad.

I take it you won't be able to stay in his house?

I'm afraid the student finance system does not cover situations such as potential homelessness. If you have been award a maintenance loan and full maintenance grant (£2906) then I'm afraid that's the maximum you could get and so if you need to rent a flat you'll have to use the student finance you have been awarded.

I would advise you to speak to student services/counselling/welfare at your uni and talk to someone - they are there to support and advise students so they should be able to help you, even if it is only how to apply for hardship funds or refer you to your local council and/or assistance with emergency housing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devil in Your Details)
    Also, more on the topic:

If anybody is having issues with Student Finance, demand that the Glasgow office transfers you to Darlington. The Glasgow office is purely call centre staff who really don't know what they are doing, and they are removed from the proper management heirarchy. The Darlington staff are far more clued up, helpful, and they have direct access to the higher-ups.

That is a blatant lie...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ocelotrevs)
    Yeah. Get them to do that. My uni (Brunel) were extremely helpful with this stuff. I think that they wrote Student Finance a letter confirming I was on a foundation degree.
    It is really annoying, and bothersome. Get it sorted before you start uni, because not having money during uni is no fun.

If it's a stand alone foundation degree then you are not eligible. Only foundation degrees that lead onto the actual top-up get funding...I am 90% sure this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Live2010)
    If it's a stand alone foundation degree then you are not eligible. Only foundation degrees that lead onto the actual top-up get funding...I am 90% sure this.

You're getting foundation years and foundation degrees muddled there, two seperate things.

It's the one year standalone foundations that are not eligible. Foundation degrees attract the same levels of funding as any other degree.

ReputationRep:
    I REALLY ******* HATE STUDENT FINANCE
    HOW ******* HARD CAN IT BE TO SET UP AN
    ONLINE SYSTEM THAT WORKS!!!!!!
    EVERY STEP OF APPLYING FOR IT THERES A BLOODY PROBLEM
    ITS RIDICULOUS AS IF STUDENTS DONT HAVE ENOUGH ON OUR
    PLATE! ******* HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatestudentfinanc)
    I REALLY ******* HATE STUDENT FINANCE
    HOW ******* HARD CAN IT BE TO SET UP AN
    ONLINE SYSTEM THAT WORKS!!!!!!
    EVERY STEP OF APPLYING FOR IT THERES A BLOODY PROBLEM
    ITS RIDICULOUS AS IF STUDENTS DONT HAVE ENOUGH ON OUR
    PLATE! ******* HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Boo hoo. Moaning isn't going to fix it. Just fill in the form and do is required. No one can wave the magic TSR wand for you.

ReputationRep:
    I work full time as does my wife, earning £25,000 between us annually. I can afford repayments of my fee's no problem but don't have the money up front (obviously).
    So what do i get back from them ? £275 YES £275 to help towards books Grrrrrrr !!!!!!!! i just give up.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.