Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FFCrusader)
    Well I haven't had any "accent training" :p:

Shouting at them down the phone might help you get your point across, but I always try to be nice to them first :p:
    Nah, I can't shout, I'm a nice girl :littleangel: but I do start to hiss and speak through my teeth with them if angry :mad2: :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I've heard so many bad things about Student Finance that I'm so glad I'm in the old system of sending it to your LEA. Except that now my sister is starting uni she has to send her application to Student Finance and having it income assessed means its gonna affect what I get. The system worked and they've gone and broken it by making it centralized. I got my assessment back within 2 days of sending it whereas my sister is still waiting. Fun times!

ReputationRep:
    I tried to do student finance on the internet, but because my brother had already been it wouldn't accept any of my parents' details.

So then we asked for paper copies of the forms so that we could fill those in and send them off. They ignored the request (by email) so we then had to phone them up to ask for the forms.

The assistant on the phone then insists that the internet service "should work" and tries futilely to "talk through" exactly everything we had already tried to get it to work, which failed as per usual.

The forms arrive TWO WEEKS later, and my parents fill them out. But each of my parents has a customer reference no. which they've never been told. My mum phones them to find out the numbers. The person on the phone gives her her number but refuses to give her my dad's for "security reasons".

So then my dad phones them to find out his number and once again we get one of those assistants who insists that we have to use the internet service, and that he can't give out the customer reference number over the phone, the other assistant shouldn't have given my mum hers, and we had to find it out via creating an account.

Of course we can't create an account because it won't accept my parents details.

Eventually my parents got the customer reference number via email (how is this more secure?) but it took at least a week.

We then send off the forms. We didn't send financial evidence because the website expressly tells you not to.

A few weeks later student finance sends us a charming letter saying they would be delighted to support my BROTHER'S application to university. He's already f****** been to university and was actually bloody graduating in about a months time.

We phone them up in a panic to say they're supporting the wrong application, whereupon they deny they ever sent the letter (not on their records apparently) and that they're still processing my application.

Weeks pass.

I phone them because I haven't heard anything about the application. They then inform me that we need to send financial evidence within the next two weeks or my application will be cancelled. I ask why they didn't feel it was necessary to send an email or letter so that I'd know there was a problem, and they said they had (an outrageous lie). When I ask why the website says you don't have to, the assistant says "the internet service has been experiencing difficulties". Understatement.

We send the financial evidence.

I get an email about 3 weeks after doing that, saying that I need to send financial evidence, prompting yet another worried phone call, to be met with proclaimed innocence - "oh! we didn't send you any email!".

Apparently everything is now sorted but we still haven't had a confirmation letter to my knowledge.

To make everything worse, every single phoneline assistant is scottish. It's like they derive some sadistic pleasure from us having to pay fees and want to make it as painful as possible.

Basically, student finance England fails hard. I started my application in like March so I thought I'd be all right tbh. Gah!

/rant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AutVinceriAutMori)
    Yes, if they accept my pin :mad: :p: how stupid is the whole business, esp sinse you have to pay for calls and end up re-dialling all the time :rant:
    I am so glad 084h numbers are few for me, but the phone on speakerphone and played on the computer.

I got through to them eventually :woo:

No automated telephone system will best ME!

And they now have my monies sorted :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    I am so glad 084h numbers are few for me, but the phone on speakerphone and played on the computer.

Congratulations! :party:
    tbh, I can't be arsed to phone them, but I probs have to tomorrow :mad2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeanofJelly)
    We phone them up in a panic to say they're supporting the wrong application, whereupon they deny they ever sent the letter (not on their records apparently) and that they're still processing my application.
    :laugh: I think that happens a lot. Last time I phoned on their system it said my paper application had been done over the internet, and that the evidence for my grant hadn't even arrived yet. Two days later I got the evidence back with the letter saying they've assessed it etc.

I wonder if MPs go through this process to get their hands on government money... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)

Use 0141 243 3929, national rate rather than 0845

As you usually have to spend a long time on the phone to student finance it's probably better to use this http://www.saynoto0870.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jk1986)
    Use 0141 243 3929, national rate rather than 0845
    As I said 0845 no.s are free for me anyway, national rate is more than that :p:

Thanks all the same!

ReputationRep:
    Another problem is that alot of people are a bit too thick to follow the rules and read inbetween the lines.

(Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    Another problem is that alot of people are a bit too thick to follow the rules and read inbetween the lines.
    What exactly do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    Spoke to them today,

They had the wrong course title and length down, not sure how they bullsed that up. So have to fill in forms and wait up to a further EIGHT weeks to be processed.... ill be at uni then....
    And my mum and stepdad sent their details off in the same parcel, but yet they only confirmed they received my mothers and have no record of my step dads.

Pretty confused and annoyed im not going to have any money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olliejames)
    Spoke to them today,

They had the wrong course title and length down, not sure how they bullsed that up. So have to fill in forms and wait up to a further EIGHT weeks to be processed.... ill be at uni then....
    And my mum and stepdad sent their details off in the same parcel, but yet they only confirmed they received my mothers and have no record of my step dads.

Pretty confused and annoyed im not going to have any money
    They told me I filled the tuition loan request form incorrectly!!! They are soo annoying! they also rejected my mum's details because they were for the wrong financial year

ReputationRep:
    Guys and girls, please keep signing the petition (and get everyone else to do it too) - it needs to have at least 500 signatures to get a response from the government!

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Finance-Student/

ReputationRep:
    My parents sent off all the evidence in early April and by early July we were wondering why we hadn't heard anything. Well thats because they LOST the evidence (or as they say, they haven't received it). So they lost all the originals of my parents payslips etc.

Sent it off again special signed for delivery, and the guy on the phone insisted it hadn't been received and was calling my mum a liar when she said it hadn't been signed for (when we had the proof right there) sending her into tears.

Dad rang on the night to be told anything they have received in July hasn't even started to be looked at yet and that they have a 6 week backlog. The guy said in all liklihood they are so far behind I wont get my income assessed finance by the time I start and it will have to be added later.

They are an absolute JOKE! It seems they have hired the most retarded people in the country to deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    I urge everyone to sign the petition (link to it is on the first page). My status on the site says "approved" but this is without taking my household income into account. I've sent off the financial evidence about 2 months ago now. I rang a few days later asking what was going on - they said because of the sudden increase in applications they are assessing everyone without the financial evidence first. Surely it shouldn't be taking this long? At least they should acknowledge receiving my application.

ReputationRep:
    I know, Student Finance England are a joke. It took them forever to realise that I was entitled to the grants, then sent me a letter saying I was only entitled to the loans. I had to email them to say that I KNEW I was entitled to the grants, and some women emailed back saying 'we know you're entitled.' I was soooooo angry! Did they not think it would be nice to send me a letter or something TELLING me that they had altered my entitlement?! Grr!
    Although, after reading through here, it does appear that I got off lightly.

P.s have signed the petition and posted it on my facebook for all to see! Will also be sending out an email with the link to all my mates x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe901)
    I know, Student Finance England are a joke. It took them forever to realise that I was entitled to the grants, then sent me a letter saying I was only entitled to the loans. I had to email them to say that I KNEW I was entitled to the grants, and some women emailed back saying 'we know you're entitled.' I was soooooo angry! Did they not think it would be nice to send me a letter or something TELLING me that they had altered my entitlement?! Grr!
    Although, after reading through here, it does appear that I got off lightly.

P.s have signed the petition and posted it on my facebook for all to see! Will also be sending out an email with the link to all my mates x
    (Original post by turgon)
    I urge everyone to sign the petition (link to it is on the first page). My status on the site says "approved" but this is without taking my household income into account. I've sent off the financial evidence about 2 months ago now. I rang a few days later asking what was going on - they said because of the sudden increase in applications they are assessing everyone without the financial evidence first. Surely it shouldn't be taking this long? At least they should acknowledge receiving my application.

Thank you guys. We need at least 500 signatures on there to get a response. I am trying to get as many as I can and I really appreciate your wiligness to do so as well.

I applied back in February for income assessed student finance support and only had my non income assessment done on 3rd of July! They are also refusing to give me any grants, although I know they are wrong in that. I am fighting with my nails and teeth for what I believe I am entitled to and am going through my MP, as well as planning to pay a visit to my local CAB this week. I complained three times, out of which only once I received a reply, and asked for my case to be escalated to Independent Review. Five working days later, SFE still hasn't acknowledged my request and seem to be ignoring me on purpose. I am not letting this go so easily - it concerns my future and they cannot be messing me around like that.

ReputationRep:
    I just had an email through asking for evidence even though I'm non-income assessed.

Spoke to them on the phone and they said it was a mistake and they don't actually want any evidence from me, they really are incompetent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Just thinking about them makes my blood boil.

I applied in Feb and all I've had since then is phone call after phone call with dim-wits who I have to explain the same story to - just hassle all the time! =| It's still not sorted....

Phoning them becomes useless after a while because every rep who answers the phone tells you something different to the one before.

My advice would be to write them a furious but articulate letter detailing your situation very clearly from the beginning of the application process up until now, and tell them exactly what you need/expect in the coming weeks.

They messed up my app. several times and kept sending me non-income assessed notifications, then saying on the phone that I was entitled to a full grant. In my letter I specifically asked them to conduct a means-tested reassessment and send out a new Declaration form to my address, and I got both within 2 weeks. Sometimes getting angry with them works :o:

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.