Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyJ)
    Phoning them becomes useless after a while because every rep who answers the phone tells you something different to the one before.

My advice would be to write them a furious but articulate letter detailing your situation very clearly from the beginning of the application process up until now, and tell them exactly what you need/expect in the coming weeks.

They messed up my app. several times and kept sending me non-income assessed notifications, then saying on the phone that I was entitled to a full grant. In my letter I specifically asked them to conduct a means-tested reassessment and send out a new Declaration form to my address, and I got both within 2 weeks. Sometimes getting angry with them works :o:

God they're useless aren't they? Glad it finally worked out for you though.

I'm going to give them one final phone call tomorrow and see what's going on, if they still can't tell me, it's letter writing time :yep: Grr!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danfl2004)
    I just wrote a letter to my local MP regarding this farce. I am fed up of being told to phone back in a couple weeks and that the back log is 6 weeks long since May. Hopefully he will give me a reply but im not hopeful.
    Same here, only it has been going on since February. I wrote to my MP already and he replied, however, SFE still didn't change their tune and I keep hearing same sh** every week, so I wrote to my MP again yesterday. Next step is seeing a lawyer. I am fed up.

ReputationRep:
    What makes me furious is the system for claiming benefits is simple and easy, giving money alot of the time to people who shouldnt get a bean from the Country. Yet when it comes to helping people who are going to make a difference to this country in the future, the government wants to make it as hard as possible. Its an insult.
    Are you joking? Have you ever tried to get benefits from the country? I haven't, but I'm aware of the system, and I've also got some friends who have had to get benefits at various times - and god, it's far from easy. DLA can take months to come through, even once it's been guaranteed, and they chop and change how much you're allowed so regularly it's ridiculous; Jobseekers have such a stringent set of policies ('you have to have been out of employment for x long, but if you've been out of work for over x long, you're also not entitled to benefits') - and even then, actually signing up in the first place takes huge amounts of time; the Council Tax & Housing benefit system is also shoddy as hell, not to mention poorly organised - despite the fact we registered online and had a confirmation letter, my boyfriend had to go into the council offices five times simply to say that he was the only non-student living in the house and so was entitled to a council tax reduction, and at one point, we all had to go in to confirm that we were students. It's utterly ridiculous.

So no, it's not that simple or easy. And I'm quite unsure about the 'shouldn't get a bean from the gvmt.' comment too, but I think that's enough typing from me today.

I know that the system is frustrating, and it's not brilliantly organised, I've had problems with it too. But at the end of the day, somewhere down the line, you get the money you've requested. The system works, even if it's far, far too complicated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doodahdoo)
    Are you joking? Have you ever tried to get benefits from the country? I haven't, but I'm aware of the system, and I've also got some friends who have had to get benefits at various times - and god, it's far from easy. DLA can take months to come through, even once it's been guaranteed, and they chop and change how much you're allowed so regularly it's ridiculous; Jobseekers have such a stringent set of policies ('you have to have been out of employment for x long, but if you've been out of work for over x long, you're also not entitled to benefits') - and even then, actually signing up in the first place takes huge amounts of time; the Council Tax & Housing benefit system is also shoddy as hell, not to mention poorly organised - despite the fact we registered online and had a confirmation letter, my boyfriend had to go into the council offices five times simply to say that he was the only non-student living in the house and so was entitled to a council tax reduction, and at one point, we all had to go in to confirm that we were students. It's utterly ridiculous.

So no, it's not that simple or easy. And I'm quite unsure about the 'shouldn't get a bean from the gvmt.' comment too, but I think that's enough typing from me today.

I know that the system is frustrating, and it's not brilliantly organised, I've had problems with it too. But at the end of the day, somewhere down the line, you get the money you've requested. The system works, even if it's far, far too complicated.
    Please im not an idiot, it is far more hassle trying to get a student finance assessment than a benefit assessment. It takes 1 month to process a benefit claim into payment. It will take 6 months to fully sort my student finance claim. I think you are finding extremes tbh, DLA is for a severe disability hence why a claim can take a long time, claiming ESA is a very simple process, and is not complicated in the slightest. And no i dont agree the system works either, especially when students are questioning whether they can afford uni because they dont know how much they will be getting.

Also in relation to CB and HB, info from a benefit claim is sent to the LA making it quite simple for the majority of claimants. And i dont understand one of your comments about the regulations of JSA being your cant claim other benefits. Thats common sense.

ReputationRep:
    Please im not an idiot, it is far more hassle trying to get a student finance assessment than a benefit assessment. It takes 1 month to process a benefit claim into payment. It will take 6 months to fully sort my student finance claim. I think you are finding extremes tbh, DLA is for a severe disability hence why a claim can take a long time, claiming ESA is a very simple process, and is not complicated in the slightest. And no i dont agree the system works either, especially when students are questioning whether they can afford uni because they dont know how much they will be getting.

Also in relation to CB and HB, info from a benefit claim is sent to the LA making it quite simple for the majority of claimants. And i dont understand one of your comments about the regulations of JSA being your cant claim other benefits. Thats common sense.
    What you're saying is completely wrong. It took 6 months, a phone call from citizen's advice and me preparing for an appeal before I got any DLA. Nearly everyone I know has struggled with DLA claims.

Claiming ESA isn't simple - unless you're dying, you're capable of work, according to their doctors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    What you're saying is completely wrong. It took 6 months, a phone call from citizen's advice and me preparing for an appeal before I got any DLA. Nearly everyone I know has struggled with DLA claims.

Claiming ESA isn't simple - unless you're dying, you're capable of work, according to their doctors.

I actually said DLA is complicated to claim. But im afraid ESA is simple. As long as your not working, dont have savings, you partner is not working and you have a med cert you will get money. Sorry but that is how it is.

I actually believe it is the GPs fault for giving to med certs out very easily. You have to remember ESA is designed for people who are incapable of work. The Drs at the Job centre work on that basis and they use a stringent medical for it. Far more in depth than a GP carries out before giving a med cert for depression. Anyway this thread is about student finance so i will no longer hijack it any further.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that simple though. Not after the medical at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    It's not that simple though. Not after the medical at least.
    Once you pass the medical though, you get support or WCA component, and you dont do another medical for about a year, but could be 3. I agree, however, that ESA, and the whole benefits system can be very unfair to people who really need help and really are ill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doodahdoo)

I disagree with that.

ReputationRep:
    They've sent me a letter saying "we're giving you this amount of money and we're NOT basing it on your household income, because we didn't get any evidence".

I SENT EVIDENCE WEEKS AGO. I hate this. Bureaucracy is a nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I also applied in March.... Three financial status forms, thirteen angry phone calls and two formal complaints later - still nothing. I am absolutely livid!

ReputationRep:
    I just got of the phone to SFE and, guess what, they lost my financial evidence, despite confirming only a week ago that they had it...So I have to resend it again...Oh, and no one bothered to tell me about it either - if i hadn't called, I would not have known...

ReputationRep:
    Sending a postal application is so much easier (even though you have to print around 40 pages). I sent mine a week before the deadline around 23rd june, it had financial evidence, i didn't need to send id. And just a few days ago i received a reply of provisional confirmation, that i would receive the loans and grants. I had no problems.
    I feel sorry for anyone who sent their application before mine, i hope it gets through soon.

ReputationRep:
    I am well and truly stumpde when it comes to my student finance.
    I applied for it literally the week it came out for you to do so and STILL they are messing me around! At first they told me they couldn't process my application because my mum didn't sign the form, which she did ONLINE. (I fail to see how you can sign something online) So I called an advisor and they said it's fine it's their fault, putting a note on my account that everything was good and I should have my app procsessed asap. Then me and my mum get emails and letters saying she hasn't sent in the right evidence, when she has, so again I called an advisor who again told me they'd messed up and everything was fine and that they'd put another note on the account saying everything had been recieved, my account would be processed in the next few days. This has happened a few times since, despite the numerous notes on my acount (...?) and the numerous advisors who have advised everything is fine and their fault...

Now I've had two letters in the past week telling me I'm being non means tested and that this loan is FINAL (in bold letters...) and that this is because I haven't sent in the correct evidence. I called an advisor after the first letter who said they'd messed up again and now I've got a second letter saying sign this now or get absolutely nowt.

What on earth do I do? I'm fed up with calling about because it gets absolutely nothing done?! Madness. :\

ReputationRep:
    Guys please sign http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Finance-Student/

The deadline is 8th of September and we need to get 238 more signatures in order for this to have some sort of response.

ReputationRep:
    So...when are we gonna get paid?

Please tell me, I am a lone parent due to start uni in September, I sent me application off in march, sent evidence in June, had to make a fill in a change of circumstances form as they dealt with my application as if i had no kids, so my notification does not include grants such as the special support grant or parents learning allowance. Still waiting to hear about the child care grant as I only sent that off in July.....

are there any other lone parents in the same situation?

when can I expect to get paid?

I really need to know, its the difference between if i can go to uni or not.
    I worked so hard to get there and I am really exited now

I live quite close to the Darlington office, Do you think its worth my while taking a trek down there????? will I need an appointment???

Please help :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gambiagirl)
    So...when are we gonna get paid?

Please tell me, I am a lone parent due to start uni in September, I sent me application off in march, sent evidence in June, had to make a fill in a change of circumstances form as they dealt with my application as if i had no kids, so my notification does not include grants such as the special support grant or parents learning allowance. Still waiting to hear about the child care grant as I only sent that off in July.....

are there any other lone parents in the same situation?

when can I expect to get paid?

I really need to know, its the difference between if i can go to uni or not.
    I worked so hard to get there and I am really exited now

I live quite close to the Darlington office, Do you think its worth my while taking a trek down there????? will I need an appointment???

Please help :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

When your assessment status is final, you should get a Payment Schedule in the post in early September.

ReputationRep:
    Should your loan not come in, you can go to your uni/college, and so long as you have evidence that you are due to get this money but haven't yet received it, your uni should provide you with an emergency loan/grant to cover you.

ReputationRep:
    Should I sign the final form does anyone know? Are they still doing the whole non means testing everyone then doing the means testing afterwards?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikkila)
    Should I sign the final form does anyone know? Are they still doing the whole non means testing everyone then doing the means testing afterwards?
    ^ I would also like to know this, as I'm assuming the form for my signature will be arriving soon.
    I've just been told today that I'm being non-means tested because student finance haven't received evidence from my mother, even though it was sent to them at least a month and a half ago I am not happy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.