Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I worked out that (until bursaries come through in December..?) I'll be living on £31 a week after rent

ReputationRep:
    Oh, what the ****?!

I looked at my Payment Schedule online, and the status is "BLOCKED" for both my tuition fee AND my student loan!? WHY!?

ReputationRep:
    My final years gonna be fun to begin with :-(

I called up my local borough department for student finance and normal student finance and got two answers to the same question?

To have received my tuition fee loan request form, or to not have?
    That is the impossible question...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyJ)
    Oh, what the ****?!

I looked at my Payment Schedule online, and the status is "BLOCKED" for both my tuition fee AND my student loan!? WHY!?
    How do you view that? And £31 a week will be tough to say the least...

ReputationRep:
    Even if I get the full grant and full bursary from my university - both of which are pretty unlikely given SFE's ineptitude - I still only have £34 a week. It's almost not worth the effort and frustration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyJ)
    I worked out that (until bursaries come through in December..?) I'll be living on £31 a week after rent
    As it stands at the moment, the loan they want to give me wont even cover my rent for a year, which means I'll have to find another few hundred to cover rent, let alone money to live on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnjames)
    How do you view that? And £31 a week will be tough to say the least...

I clicked on the "View Correspondence" section and apparently the Payment Schedule is in the post, so I went back and clicked on "View Payments" and the list came up from there.

Yeah, £31 is no fun. It will cover food, laundry and my phone contract, and that's it. I hope to find a job ASAP once I move in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikkila)
    As it stands at the moment, the loan they want to give me wont even cover my rent for a year, which means I'll have to find another few hundred to cover rent, let alone money to live on!
    Do you not get a grant..?

Use your overdraft if you can. Natwest have a £500 limit for the first term, and I'll need to use that pretty much immediately for the room deposit / annual bus pass / freshers' etc.

ReputationRep:
    A couple quick questions: How long does it usually take for your online application to be assessed and a your status to be updated telling you it's awaiting a signature or something? And what stage would that put you in (how long left till it's all done with)?

ReputationRep:
    They're still waiting for evidence from me - I sent it all in 2 months ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Major Spoiler)
    Even if I get the full grant and full bursary from my university - both of which are pretty unlikely given SFE's ineptitude - I still only have £34 a week. It's almost not worth the effort and frustration.

That's £3 more than me :p:

Though, I think the bursaries/scholarships are dealt with by the individual Uni's, I know I will have to wait a few months to get any of mine.

ReputationRep:
    OK so this is what my online thingy says on SFE-

Application Summary
    Name **
    Academic Year 2009/10
    Institution LEEDS UNIVERSITY
    Course ARABIC & SPANISH
    Status Approved - Awaiting Signature
    Submitted Date 13/02/2009
    View your originally submitted details
    Status

We have processed your application although we are waiting on more information. This is to ensure you have some student finance in place when you begin your course.
    We have been unable to carry out a full financial assessment due to the reason(s) listed below.

* Sponsor 2 financial evidence not provided

I don't have a Sponsor 2... I just live with my mum Do they know this or what? I'm so confused man!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyJ)
    I clicked on the "View Correspondence" section and apparently the Payment Schedule is in the post, so I went back and clicked on "View Payments" and the list came up from there.

Yeah, £31 is no fun. It will cover food, laundry and my phone contract, and that's it. I hope to find a job ASAP once I move in.
    Ah mine doesn't say anything about the schedule yet.

Are you getting a grant? I should be on about £50-£65 per week depending on which uni I get into, and that I'd be there the full 42 weeks of the year. I've also got £500 waiting for me when I turn 18, so that'll help out a bit. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radd)
    A couple quick questions: How long does it usually take for your online application to be assessed and a your status to be updated telling you it's awaiting a signature or something? And what stage would that put you in (how long left till it's all done with)?

The first bit depends on luck I think. One of my friends had everything sorted - from application to finalisation - within 6 weeks. I've been waiting 6 months and it still isn't quite done with.

I would say maybe 2-3 months or so is the average for it to be assessed; often it's all the complications afterwards (non-income assessment, lost evidence etc) that complicates everything and wastes time. Once it says "Approved - Awaiting Signature" it shouldn't take long to update, mine took a week after sending the Declaration form and changed to "Approved". But now I have all this crap with blocked payments...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnjames)
    Ah mine doesn't say anything about the schedule yet.

Are you getting a grant? I should be on about £50-£65 per week depending on which uni I get into, and that I'd be there the full 42 weeks of the year. I've also got £500 waiting for me when I turn 18, so that'll help out a bit. :yes:

I get the full grant, yeah, but obviously it's not given all in one go.

In September I get part of the grant (£969?) and part of the loan (£1150 or thereabouts), so that's £2119 to last until January, minus rent (£1600). Leaves me with £500 split between 4 months = £31.25 a week :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyJ)
    The first bit depends on luck I think. One of my friends had everything sorted - from application to finalisation - within 6 weeks. I've been waiting 6 months and it still isn't quite done with.

I would say maybe 2-3 months or so is the average for it to be assessed; often it's all the complications afterwards (non-income assessment, lost evidence etc) that complicates everything and wastes time. Once it says "Approved - Awaiting Signature" it shouldn't take long to update, mine took a week after sending the Declaration form and changed to "Approved". But now I have all this crap with blocked payments...:rolleyes:
    Blocked payments? That's worrying. Because I just submitted my application like less than a week ago and it's been updated to Approved and waiting for signature. Not that i'm complaining and I hope I don't jinx myself but I did ring them up to be sure. Note that I was really worried before I saw this after I checking out these forums.

Anyway, I asked them if it was means-tested, they said yes and to the full amount including grant too. I did ask them a couple days ago to link the P60 my brother sent over a month ago with his paper-based application to my account. I did mine online. However there is still one thing needing sorting out which is due to my circumstances. And for some reason my brothers application status still hasn't updated at all. Even though he sent his before the deadline with the original P60 no less.

This is really confusing and I hope I don't regret typing this out either. *fingers-crossed*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radd)
    Blocked payments? That's worrying. Because I just submitted my application like less than a week ago and it's been updated to Approved and waiting for signature. Not that i'm complaining and I hope I don't jinx myself but I did ring them up to be sure. Note that I was really worried before I saw this after I checking out these forums.

Anyway, I asked them if it was means-tested, they said yes and to the full amount including grant too. I did ask them a couple days ago to link the P60 my brother sent over a month ago with his paper-based application to my account. I did mine online. However there is still one thing needing sorting out which is due to my circumstances. And for some reason my brothers application status still hasn't updated at all. Even though he sent his before the deadline with the original P60 no less.

This is really confusing and I hope I don't regret typing this out either. *fingers-crossed*

According to the letter, the payments could be blocked because they need to 'verify my NI number with the Department of Work & Pensions', so I'll just wait a week or so and let them get on with it.

Wow, you only submitted a week ago? That is really, really fast! Have they sent all your evidence back etc, declaration, confirmation of bank details and everything? Lucky you :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyJ)
    According to the letter, the payments could be blocked because they need to 'verify my NI number with the Department of Work & Pensions', so I'll just wait a week or so and let them get on with it.

Wow, you only submitted a week ago? That is really, really fast! Have they sent all your evidence back etc, declaration, confirmation of bank details and everything? Lucky you :p:
    Actually it was 4 days ago. Or 3.. I can't remember tbh it was late at night (and also in regards to the deadline). Yeah, I would suggest you keep track of it and check again in a few days.

I haven't sent any evidence at all. I gave all my details online along with the bank details (gonna change it once i've opened a Natwest(?) student account). My brother sent a P60 form at the end of June which I asked them to see if they could link to my application.

When I rang them up again to check they told me they would send a form through the post and that I should get an online one to sign too (btw, how does that work :confused: just tick a checkbox perhaps?). And also the P60 would be returned in about 6-8 weeks.

But the lady also said I needed the Income details for my second sponsor and I tried explaining to them that my parents aren't legally separated/divorced and that my dad doesn't live with us but she said it didn't matter. They still have to use his Income details. So now i'm puzzled as I have no other evidence to provide without going to see a lawyer which I would think turn out to be expensive..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyJ)
    Though, I think the bursaries/scholarships are dealt with by the individual Uni's, I know I will have to wait a few months to get any of mine.
    Same for me, but to get the full bursary, I have to get the full maintenance grant. I guess that just makes it easier for the uni to assess who gets it. But it also means that if SFE bugger up and I don't get the full grant, I have very little money to live on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyJ)
    Do you not get a grant..?

Use your overdraft if you can. Natwest have a £500 limit for the first term, and I'll need to use that pretty much immediately for the room deposit / annual bus pass / freshers' etc.
    They'd completely messed up my application so I'd only get an average loan, hopefully their fixing it now though. I'm definitely going to open up a Natwest account, although I'm having trouble doing it online so will probably do it in store. Anyone know how to get round the ucas number issue with their opening accounts online thing?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.