Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm gonna take psychology but a bit worried whether I'll be able to get a grade A in it since I haven't got general psychology knowledge, I don't read articles to do with psychology or anything nor have I taken subjects which may help with this, at GCSE such as history.

First exam is in January so only a few months to be introduced to the subject and be able to get a grade A.

So I wanna know if anyone has got a grade A and if so, did u read outside the subject or just read the spec, memorise textbook nd get a grade A?

If so, what textbook? thanks

ReputationRep:
    Getting an A in the January exam isn't hard if you revise and work hard, and do this throughout the year. It's the same as any subject really - if you put the work in you'll get the grades you want.

READ THE FREAKING QUESTIONS though, I made an epic mistake in my Summer Psych exam because I mistook what they were asking an have essentially thrown away 10 marks :sigh:

But yeah, getting an A in the January exam isn't so bad because they changed the syllabus so that the exams get harder as they go on (i.e. January AS is easier than Summer AS that is easier than January A2 that is easier than Summer A2) - do practise papers when you're revising as they really do help and make sure you revise as you go on throughout the year.

The textbooks weren't all fantastic, we used the new one with the cat.. can't remember what it's called :o:
    But our teacher prepared revision objectives and I made sure I had memorised answers to those and they helped for the exam and I got a decent mark in January.

ReputationRep:
    Oh okayy, thanks By the way, what exam board did you do? Also, do you think it's the same for june (unit 2) exam as well? Like only stuff in books will come up or would it become a more general exam?

Thankss

Also, more posts will be very appreciated

ReputationRep:
    MS was with AQA as was I. AQA A that is

And yeah Id just echo what MS said-work consistently throughout the year then give yourself a few weeks before the exam to get everything you need to know for the exam stored into your head:p: But ensure you keep your notes concise

TBPH It's an easy-ish AS if you work hard, it's not too hard to get your head around and if your teachers any better than mine[which i can assure you they will be{ours basically got the sack}] you should be fine

woo, go psychology :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    MS was with AQA as was I. AQA A that is

And yeah Id just echo what MS said-work consistently throughout the year then give yourself a few weeks before the exam to get everything you need to know for the exam stored into your head:p: But ensure you keep your notes concise

TBPH It's an easy-ish AS if you work hard, it's not too hard to get your head around and if your teachers any better than mine[which i can assure you they will be{ours basically got the sack}] you should be fine

woo, go psychology :p:
    Okay, thanks By the way, just wondering what grade (+mark if possible) you got on your january psychology exam unit 1 [and if possible your june one (unit 2) if u did it a previous year nd not this year]. Also, exactly which books did you use?

Cheers
    x

ReputationRep:
    Aaand just echoing what other said. ^^ Psychology is really interesting and I daresay AS level is relatively easy- most people do very very well in it. You don't need to read up on it beforehand. I did both modules in the summer so I'm waiting on marks but I'm predicted an A and my teacher adamant on predicting me an A* next year. (Whether I'll get it is another thing. xD) It involves a lot of memorising of case studies.

The textbooks I used and which are mentioned above are:

Psychology AS
    AQA Psychology A AS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighSkies)
    Aaand just echoing what other said. ^^ Psychology is really interesting and I daresay AS level is relatively easy- most people do very very well in it. You don't need to read up on it beforehand. I did both modules in the summer so I'm waiting on marks but I'm predicted an A and my teacher adamant on predicting me an A* next year. (Whether I'll get it is another thing. xD) It involves a lot of memorising of case studies.

The textbooks I used and which are mentioned above are:

Psychology AS
    AQA Psychology A AS
    Hi, thanks for posting Wow you must have been really good at psychology then If you don't mind me asking, what grades did you get for English Language, English Lit, Maths, Sciences and History (if u took it) AT GCSE? And would you say any of those GCSES really helped you with psychology AS level?

Also, do you think your grade A at AS level psychology was mainly based on what your teacher taught you or text books (also, did you only use those two books or other ones as well? - like, did those two books cover absolutely everything you need to know?

I had a look at the links of the two textbooks you gave me and each book is like almost 300 pages :O so 600 pages in total for the whole year 12 - AS level year so 300 pages of work to read and memorize before January UNIT 1 exam? There's only like 3 months? How is it possible to read, understand and memorize 300 pages (plus do all the work for the other 3 AS level subjects) in 3 months?!? :O :O Are those numbers accurate or is there less to learn and stuff? If my numbers are right, I am already getting really scared :O Is 300 pages necessary for January Unit 1 to get a high grade A?

Also, the case studies.. are they very complex and long and difficult to memorise? How long did it take you to memorize all the case studies? Thanks

Thanks a lot of the help

ReputationRep:
    We used this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Psychology-A...ref=pd_sim_b_6
    which is really good, but as you were saying before no it's not 300 pages for just the unit 1 as it's for both Units.
    And you're not really memorising the pages as a lot of it just becomes second nature to you and yes it is quite easy really... And plus it doesn't really involve a lot of essays in the new spec (12 marks at most) which is good news - for me at least!
    This is just for AQA A though as I don't know on any of the others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikki =])
    We used this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Psychology-A...ref=pd_sim_b_6
    which is really good, but as you were saying before no it's not 300 pages for just the unit 1 as it's for both Units.
    And you're not really memorising the pages as a lot of it just becomes second nature to you and yes it is quite easy really... And plus it doesn't really involve a lot of essays in the new spec (12 marks at most) which is good news - for me at least!
    This is just for AQA A though as I don't know on any of the others.
    Yeahh I figured it's for two units but the previous person posted two books which are both almost 300 pages so that would make 600 pages in total for unit 1 and 2 - so therefore, 300 pages for just unit 1 (from both books in total).

But even so, wouldn't 150 pages be quite a large amount for an exam to be taken 4 months after being introduced to it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princestia)
    Yeahh I figured it's for two units but the previous person posted two books which are both almost 300 pages so that would make 600 pages in total for unit 1 and 2 - so therefore, 300 pages for just unit 1 (from both books in total).

But even so, wouldn't 150 pages be quite a large amount for an exam to be taken 4 months after being introduced to it?
    Yeah but the content is going to be pretty similar in both books so not really 300 pages.
    And no because it's not 150 pages full of things you won't already know or understand, like in Unit 1 there is a lot of research methods that you'll already know like averages, questionnaires, diagrams etc. And with the rest you will just shorten it down into notes.

It's just like any other a level when it comes to the amount you need to learn, and possibly less for some other subjects. Like for example I'd say you need to learn so much more in a subject like Economics.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind me asking, what grades did you get for English Language, English Lit, Maths, Sciences and History (if u took it) AT GCSE?

etc etc etc........
    Its not so much I'm good at it but its straightforward up till now. I got in that order BBAAAA and I didn;t do history but geography (A). If you do AS biology it will help because you cover stress in both topics, so GCSE and AS biology help a bit but thats it, I wouldn't say any other GCSE helps. If you tend to lean towards the sciences you'll find psychology easier.

I only just finished year 12... I'm not in year 13 yet, those are predicted grades I'm talking about. :P To be completely honest I only used the nelson thornes book, not the cat book and most of my learning came from my teacher, not the book. I've never been a fan of learning through textbooks like that for psychology and learn better during lessons from an actual person. Yes, those books cover absolutely everything need and more.

Oh no no no, its not that much. For example, the Nelson Thornes textbook covered both modules alone- they both teach the same modules (PSYA1 + PSYA2) but obviously in their own way. PSYA1 would be around half of one textbook. Also, there is extra information in there to which you don't necessarily need to know all of. It depends on your revision method really but like I said- the majority of it is composed of case studies and experiments. Its not nearly as difficult as made out to be.

Case studies aren't very long at all. You need to know the hypothesis, method, methodological issues and the ethical issues. Sometimes the aim would help. You'll find the ethical and methodological issues crossover in nearly all case studies and common sense will tell you what they are based on the method of the experiment. I learnt the case studies as I was given them, so I don't have a timeframe as such which I can give you. It can be challenging at first but once you get into the right frame of mind it becomes easier to remember.

ReputationRep:
    Its not so much I'm good at it but its straightforward up till now. I got in that order BBAAAA and I didn;t do history but geography (A). If you do AS biology it will help because you cover stress in both topics, so GCSE and AS biology help a bit but thats it, I wouldn't say any other GCSE helps. If you tend to lean towards the sciences you'll find psychology easier.

I only just finished year 12... I'm not in year 13 yet, those are predicted grades I'm talking about. :P To be completely honest I only used the nelson thornes book, not the cat book and most of my learning came from my teacher, not the book. I've never been a fan of learning through textbooks like that for psychology and learn better during lessons from an actual person. Yes, those books cover absolutely everything need and more.

Oh no no no, its not that much. For example, the Nelson Thornes textbook covered both modules alone- they both teach the same modules (PSYA1 + PSYA2) but obviously in their own way. PSYA1 would be around half of one textbook. Also, there is extra information in there to which you don't necessarily need to know all of. It depends on your revision method really but like I said- the majority of it is composed of case studies and experiments. Its not nearly as difficult as made out to be.

Case studies aren't very long at all. You need to know the hypothesis, method, methodological issues and the ethical issues. Sometimes the aim would help. You'll find the ethical and methodological issues crossover in nearly all case studies and common sense will tell you what they are based on the method of the experiment. I learnt the case studies as I was given them, so I don't have a timeframe as such which I can give you. It can be challenging at first but once you get into the right frame of mind it becomes easier to remember.

Well, a predicted grade of A is still really good and your teacher will have based it on a practice exam so well done Ohh I see - I am taking biology AS level too

Ohh I see.. I'm probs not gonna get a very good teacher knowing my school so I really hope that the book(s) will cover everything I need to know. Judging by the small section on my school site about AS psychology, I think I may on the edexcel exam board but not sure for definite cause they haven't stated the exam board but looking at the content and such I would think it may be edexcel Like almost everyone I know from other schools does AQA thoughh =]

I still think 150 pages is too much for a January exam isn't it? Most other subjects I'm taking tend to be around 90 at most for unit 1 [sciences mainly] so learning 150 pages for psychology on top of all the work for unit 1 in my other subjects is gonna be hard :O Awh you suree? I really hope there won't be any too difficult concepts like you mentioned but who knows? - since I'm probably on the edexcel exam board..

Thanks a HUGEEEE amount for all the help you've posted so far. It's really given me an insight into this subject Positive rep coming you way now!!

Also, thanks vicky for posting with helpful information. Will positive rep you too

xx

ReputationRep:
    It's horrible. There are times when I physically wanted to vomit when studying it.

@MS, I take it you mean the 10 mark drug question? I loved that. That's the only one I think I done well on....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    It's horrible. There are times when I physically wanted to vomit when studying it.

@MS, I take it you mean the 10 mark drug question? I loved that. That's the only one I think I done well on....

welll don't rub it in for the poor girl:p:

If anyone knows how to mess up an exam it's me; as you saw when you had to put up with my outbursts of tears:teeth: :p: :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    welll don't rub it in for the poor girl:p:

If anyone knows how to mess up an exam it's me; as you saw when you had to cope with my outbursts of tears:teeth: :p: :ninja:
    That was so fricking long ago now...was it that Bulby guy? Outline and Evaluate the something method of attachment except X blah blah...

I'm sure you've done more than enough this time to make up for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    That was so fricking long ago now...was it that Bulby guy? Outline and Evaluate the something method of attachment except X blah blah...

I'm sure you've done more than enough this time to make up for it.

no it wasn't except X iirc :p: -that was my mistake..it was actually giving me prompts and I thought it was instructing me not to write about that..gawd, don't ask:lolwut:
    fail.

ReputationRep:
    AS Psychology is brill, and I recommend you take it.
    It´s an entirely different subject to anything you would´ve taken, so you don´t have to worry about not having taken any subjects similar to it. They provide you with all the information to get a A, so you really don´t need to memorise a textbook, or do your own outside reading. Just PAY ATTENTION TO THE QUESTION!
    My college transferred to the WJEC board, and only 6 people in the year got a A. Probably because they ask very specific questions and we didn´t notice.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a HUGEEEE amount for all the help you've posted so far. It's really given me an insight into this subject Positive rep coming you way now!!

xx
    Thats good in a way. I think you can get your results online with edexcel! It'll be the same basic topics nonetheless. I have seen other people on TSR for edexcel psych so its not too uncommon.

Its perhaps a bit of a pessimistic way of thinking but lots of people self teach psychology, so if it comes down to having to learn it by yourself its wholly possible. You can get support on TSR too and I'd be more than happy to have a go at helping you! :p: (How much help I can be though is another thing!)

150 pages is perhaps a bit more than usual but you really won't need it all. They seem to have a long-winded way of phrasing everything! Its best to make your own notes. The concepts of an experiment/study will be the same through all exams boards. :p: Don't worry, its easier than it seems.

Thanks for the rep! No problem.

ReputationRep:
    Thats good in a way. I think you can get your results online with edexcel! It'll be the same basic topics nonetheless. I have seen other people on TSR for edexcel psych so its not too uncommon.

Its perhaps a bit of a pessimistic way of thinking but lots of people self teach psychology, so if it comes down to having to learn it by yourself its wholly possible. You can get support on TSR too and I'd be more than happy to have a go at helping you! :p: (How much help I can be though is another thing!)

150 pages is perhaps a bit more than usual but you really won't need it all. They seem to have a long-winded way of phrasing everything! Its best to make your own notes. The concepts of an experiment/study will be the same through all exams boards. :p: Don't worry, its easier than it seems.

Thanks for the rep! No problem.
    Ohh okay It would just kinda scary if the teachers are rubbish and I look at the book and I don't understand it from there either lool.. Thanks sooo much for offering to help :hugs: You're one of my favourite TSR members <3

Yeah hopefully the exam board content won't vary too much from one to another =] It's gonna be soo difficult to find past papers though considering the spec is new from 2008 so if I am able to find ALL the available papers it would basically just be jan 2008, june 2008, jan 2009 and possible june 2009 (if I manage to find it) whilst older specs had loads of papers to revise from nd we don't . Didn't you have difficulty revising without a wide range of past papers?

And you're very welcome for the rep xxxx

ReputationRep:
    What exam board are you doing it with if you know?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.