Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to get maintenance grant without taking the maintenance loan? I plan to take the loan to pay the fee but is it possible to obtain the maintenance grant with this option only?

ReputationRep:
    No. I don't think so. But take the loan put it in a bank until you have to pay it back. You'll get some pocket money from the interest.

ReputationRep:
    You can obtain the maintenance grant without taking out the loan. Just don't tick the box for the maintenance loan, and complete the financial information part of the application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impervious)
    No. I don't think so. But take the loan put it in a bank until you have to pay it back. You'll get some pocket money from the interest.
    about from the interest you have to pay back on the loan :p:
    1.5%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taiko)
    You can obtain the maintenance grant without taking out the loan. Just don't tick the box for the maintenance loan, and complete the financial information part of the application.
    Oh, so I can get the tuition loan, maintenance grant and university grant.

Are you sure about this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    about from the interest you have to pay back on the loan :p:
    1.5%
    I thought there was no interest on it while at uni? Just the value changes in line with inflation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impervious)
    I thought there was no interest on it while at uni? Just the value changes in line with inflation?
    its like 1.5 interest from the first month off getting the student loan, always worrying when you get that letter at the end of the first year saying how much you have to pay back already :s:, but that could of changed again

you don't start paying it back till you earn over £15k a year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wish)
    Oh, so I can get the tuition loan, maintenance grant and university grant.

Are you sure about this?
    Positive. I work for an LEA.

ReputationRep:
    Can you take the maintenance grant without taking the tuition fees loan?

ReputationRep:
    its like 1.5 interest from the first month off getting the student loan, always worrying when you get that letter at the end of the first year saying how much you have to pay back already :s:, but that could of changed again

you don't start paying it back till you earn over £15k a year
    yet more rubbish on here!

The actual loan rate Sept 2009 to Sept 2010 is 0 (zero) %.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    yet more rubbish on here!

The actual loan rate Sept 2009 to Sept 2010 is 0 (zero) %.
    it was at 1.5% so not much rubbish really , and why quote on a post that coming up to 2 month old, times change, the SCL set that rate this month, and that post was in july, your clearly missing that, they also set any loans before 1998 as -0.4%

Every September the SLC’s annual interest rates for the next academic year are set. These are based on the inflation rate

ReputationRep:
    it was at 1.5% so not much rubbish really , and why quote on a post that coming up to 2 month old, times change, the SCL set that rate this month, and that post was in july, your clearly missing that, they also set any loans before 1998 as -0.4%

Every September the SLC’s annual interest rates for the next academic year are set. These are based on the inflation rate
    The rate was known to be 0% in March! Learn how and when the decision to set the rate is taken before posting again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    The rate was known to be 0% in March! Learn how and when the decision to set the rate is taken before posting again!
    they use March's RPI, which is at -0.4%, learn how troll better next time, but you now people get thing wrong from time to time wow, at the time i would going on last year ratt, you just correct the person and move on, clearly acting like a ass over it is not the way to go, it only feeds negatively on you

ReputationRep:
    they use March's RPI, which is at -0.4%

...and announced at the time they would cap at 0%. Are you innumerate or something?

ReputationRep:
    But it won't let me go past that stage without ticking the box for a maintenance loan. What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    Put down that you want an income assessed loan of £0.
    And qudos for re opening a 5 year old thread!

ReputationRep:
    LOOOOOOOOOOOL! I didnt even see the dates!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.