Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Get some squared paper, graph paper, and lined paper.
    If you can write on the squared paper then only use lined paper for explaining things in a lot of detail.

ReputationRep:
    I LOVE stationery shopping! I'm not as sad as I sound, honestly :p:

In my first year I had an a4 lever arch file for each subject, and then the dividers for each module. With that I also had lined paper, and lots of those plastic wallets. I found this quite difficult once the amount of work coming was in full flow, especially when I had more than one subject in a day, and ended up with my work disorganised because I wanted to carry one folder.

Anyway, this coming year I'm thinking Pukka Pads. You might have seen them in Wilko/Tesco or WHSmiths. I've used them before and I'm gonna give them a try with my college work.

And when it comes to pens, the more the better! :teeth:
    I do recommend having a few different coloured pens, and highlighters! It helps to make things stand out as well, so it's a good investment.

Sorry to have rambled on lol. Enjoy your time at 6th form, and stationary shopping

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? We have to get folders and hole punches and stuff? GCSE was so much more straightforward with this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mammamia:0)
    hi, i am starting sixth form in september too and I am doing maths. I have always used exercise books lower down the school but apparently at the induction they said not to. Anyone got any suggestions?
    This is what i'm wondering, i've always used the Exercise books they provide - the ESPO ones. I might just either wait and see if they give them out to us on the First day, or i'll just go buy a few from other teachers - i don't really fancy Folders etc.

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait to get folders! Then it means I don't have to constantly ask teachers for new pads because I doodle like mad! Although my GCSE History folder was once knocked out of my hands and everything went flying. Worse, it was windy and I spent about ten minutes with a friend running around to catch everything! haha!

Do we need those horribly scary looking advanced math calculators?? I don't like the sound of them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    What if you do 4 subjects? How on earth do you fit 4 folders into your bag, let alone all the OTHER stuff? :eek:
    Locker?

ReputationRep:
    hi, i am starting sixth form in september too and I am doing maths. I have always used exercise books lower down the school but apparently at the induction they said not to. Anyone got any suggestions?
    Lined paper. It's what you have to use in the exam anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paniking_and_not_revising)
    I can't wait to get folders! Then it means I don't have to constantly ask teachers for new pads because I doodle like mad! Although my GCSE History folder was once knocked out of my hands and everything went flying. Worse, it was windy and I spent about ten minutes with a friend running around to catch everything! haha!

Do we need those horribly scary looking advanced math calculators?? I don't like the sound of them!
    I think it depends on the subject. But didn't you use one for GCSE Maths...? What happened to trig and using pi and stuff haha

I'm going to get one folder to bring in each day, with dividers for each subject, and then one lever arch at home for each subject to organise notes and stuff. Does anyone actually use planners? I don't want to seem like a nerd turning up with one, but I found the ones they gave us at school really useful...

ReputationRep:
    look , all you need is , a pen , with refills , like 5 pencils , a rubber , sharpner , graphic calculator and a folder , with paper in it and those plastic sleeves to split up your subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I think at our school we get one of those massive packets of lined paper each at the beginning of the year.

(Original post by HighSkies)
    Locker?
    No locker? :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Just steal stuff when you get there, within a week you will know what you need and have gotten it for free.

ReputationRep:
    No locker? :woo:
    Have 1 folder for the most recent stuff in every subject, and transfer the older papers into individual subject folders (which you keep at home)

ReputationRep:
    I find it is not advisable to do any shopping while stationary. Even if you do it over the internet you have to move a bit :yep:

Scratch that, I get what you mean. I find a small ringbinder is best to take to school with you with lever ones being left at home. In reality you only need the past few lessons work with you otherwise it gets too heavy. You probably only need folders, pens and paper but my advice is to go wild :woo:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I only made the joke as it was a mistake I made the other day on another thread. Some advice though, if you go to edit post and ''go advanced'' you'll be able to change the title and avoid other lame jokes.

ReputationRep:
    Folders, Dividers and LOTS of A4 Lined paper, pens/pencils :P
    Some people like coloured pens too...

ReputationRep:
    Everyone's saying a folder for each subject, wouldn't that be horrible to carry around ?
    I'm going stationery shopping for sixth form tomorrow, fun

ReputationRep:
    ahhh the good old stationery thread- i remember this from last year when i barely ever left it lol. But anyway, i have the perfect way of organising everything, without breaking your back carrying folders
    Have one (preferably pretty) ringbinder that you take to school- put a big pad of good quality paper at the front of it, and have dividers for each subject/teacher. For each one of those dividers, also have a plastic wallet to put any sheets you get in lessons. (that way you don't need to take a holepunch with you every day)
    Then at home, have a big lever arch file for each subject, also with some dividers for different modules etc for you to transfer your notes to once you're done with them. I know some people say to do this once a week or something, but really once you take your notes out of your ringbinder you'll never look at them again, so make sure they've been there a while and you understand and remember everything you've written, before moving them (i normally sort out my folders every 1-2 months)
    Then you just need the usual pens (oh so many pens), pencils, possibly a rular/rubber/pencil sharpener/highlighters, calculator, etc etc

ReputationRep:
    maths was the only subject at a-level i used execise books for and i had no problem with them
    however the actual notes (not the endless questions we did) i would copy up onto paper and put in a folder so that all the notes were together ready for revision so i din't have to fight my way through all my examples to find them

ReputationRep:
    They are exactly the subjects I was planning on taking this time last year and now I only do Biology... lol sorry thats a bit off topic!

Hole puncher - teachers give you loads of handouts and hardly ever punch them.

Memory Stick ( I know its not stationary but I found mine really useful )

Dividers for your folders

Plastic Wallets

And what the person above said about having smaller folders at school and lever arch ones at home cause they can get really full and break and make your bag really heavy! I would defintely get a lever arch for Psychology as my friend does it and she has so much work from it.

Highlighters are really useful in Biology for me..

And all the other basics, pens, pencils, rubbers etc

ReputationRep:
    What if you do 4 subjects? How on earth do you fit 4 folders into your bag, let alone all the OTHER stuff? :eek:
    I did 5 :indiff:

If you're sensible then you'll have one for each subject at home, then you'll have another massive one that you bring to school to keep most recent notes and stuff in (with dividers between each subject) and then leave the other ring binders at home and transfer the sheets and stuff when you get back and make notes on what you've done etc etc.

List:
    - Pens
    - Pencils
    - Rubber
    - Ruler (get one of those ones that are A4 but can be snapped into two but snap back - so not the bendy ones but the hard half ones..)
    - Sharpener
    - Calculator
    - Coloured Pens
    - Coloured Pencils
    - HIGHLIGHTERS
    - A big A4 lever arch file for each subject you're taking + 1 extra
    - Dividers
    - Hole Punch
    - Stapler
    - A big pad of A4 paper (you can get them from WHSmiths) to write all your classwork on
    - Memory Stick
    - Notebook
    - Planner

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.