Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    You make it sound like persecution :P
    Spend enough time reading articles from the bourgeoisie stating that it is persecution, and you pick up the language game that goes along with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jormungandr)
    Spend enough time reading articles from the bourgeoisie stating that it is persecution, and you pick up the language game that goes along with it.
    Whats the bourgeoisie? What you said is the world should have the same tax regime so that the rich could be taxed hightly. Replace the word rich with blue eyed and that wouldn't be persecution?

ReputationRep:
    Rob a bank. Run drugs. Take out loans with fake identites.

Failing that, keep your fingers crossed that the government falls and our loans all get forgotten in the friendly free-love anarchist society that rises from the rubble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Whats the bourgeoisie? What you said is the world should have the same tax regime so that the rich could be taxed hightly. Replace the word rich with blue eyed and that wouldn't be persecution?
    Bourgeoisie is a term referring to the upper classes in society.

No, that's not persecution in the same way that if you apply for a job, being turned down because you don't have the experience isn't persecution while being turned down for being blue-eyed would be.

ReputationRep:

No, that's not persecution in the same way that if you apply for a job, being turned down because you don't have the experience isn't persecution while being turned down for being blue-eyed would be.
    ahhhhh, what % of the population are this 'upper class'? what makes you one? Are you one if you live in Warrington, work in the same public sector that educated you, walk to get their as you don't have a car and don't have TV in your rented flat?

Meh, I only said 'sound like' because it sounded like you want a 99% tax take on those earning over 35k.

ReputationRep:
    No it isn't.

It's the word for the shopkeeping, factory owning, mercantile, business class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invictus_88)
    No it isn't.

Win

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invictus_88)
    No it isn't.

Actually if you're going to be ridiculously nit-picky shopkeepers are petite bourgeoisie. But, you know, I couldn't possibly have been using the word in a colloquial sense in the same way as someone might refer to 'how the other half live' without meaning literally half the population. That would be ridiculous

(Original post by Quady)
    ahhhhh, what % of the population are this 'upper class'? what makes you one? Are you one if you live in Warrington, work in the same public sector that educated you, walk to get their as you don't have a car and don't have TV in your rented flat?

Meh, I only said 'sound like' because it sounded like you want a 99% tax take on those earning over 35k.
    The term was used colloquially, not referring to a very specifically defined group (which is a whole other kettle of fish concerning that social class has both subjective and objective elements, with no clear delineation between one and the other as far as importance goes). And no, I don't want a 99% tax on those over 35k. Actually, it's not terribly important what I want, because sans all the pretty good arguments for radical wealth distribution (Singer, et al.) people are outstanding at rationalising things the way they want them to be. So yeah, I'm not really standing for much here, merely commenting that the idea that 40% at the top tier is high is quite 'recent' idea (compared to the post-war consensus.)

ReputationRep:
    Actually if you're going to be ridiculously nit-picky shopkeepers are petite bourgeoisie. But, you know, I couldn't possibly have been using the word in a colloquial sense in the same way as someone might refer to 'how the other half live' without meaning literally half the population. That would be ridiculous
    Y'know, just sayin'...

...there are a lot of brushes with which to tar the Upper Class, but the Marxist term "Bourgeois" simply isn't one of them!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.