Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Stainless Steel Mini Oven

My Choices are AV, Claycroft and Tocil.
    I'm don't think I would actually buy one but I am considering it as I'm vegetarian and don't want want to particular use the oven if non-veg food has been cooked in it - not fussed about the hob. And I'm a clean freak but I don't to nag others to clean the hob/oven if they haven't. Or do the cleaners do that?

Also, as an ironing board is supplied, I assume that the iron is too. Or do we have to bring an iron?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Call them and ask them... I doubt it though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I was thinking that tbh.

ReputationRep:
    No offense but what you're saying is ridiculous. Because meat has been cooked there you can't eat it. So I suppose you can't use plates that meat has been on, or cutlery that has touched meat.

And I don't think they will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
    No offense but what you're saying is ridiculous. Because meat has been cooked there you can't eat it. So I suppose you can't use plates that meat has been on, or cutlery that has touched meat.

And I don't think they will.
    Actually cutlery would be okay, because I could wash it myself - its just sometimes if bits get left over in the oven or juices or whatever, and I can't be expected to clean the oven all the time just to be sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polaroid13)

I'm don't think I would actually buy one but I am considering it as I'm vegetarian and don't want want to particular use the oven if non-veg food has been cooked in it - not fussed about the hob. And I'm a clean freak but I don't to nag others to clean the hob/oven if they haven't. Or do the cleaners do that?

Also, as an ironing board is supplied, I assume that the iron is too. Or do we have to bring an iron?

Thanks.
    Doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    no, you're not.

i haven't seen anyone else have an issue like this and i know a few vegis.

cleaners clean the hob etc every weekday. ironing board is provided, but no iron.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    no, you're not.

i haven't seen anyone else have an issue like this and i know a few vegis.

cleaners clean the hob etc every weekday. ironing board is provided, but no iron.
    I just have issues full stop. :o:
    But at least I'm trying to accomodate for myself rather trying to make everyone else's life hell by being a patronising veggie who's trying to convert everyone.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    No offence, but you're being ridiculous and won't survive in the real world if you're that fussy.

part of the fun of university halls is the mucking in and getting on with each other despite the foibles and irritations. it will be an issue for a couple of days and then you'll just wonder why you bothered making such a fuss about it.

(or, if you actually do have real problems, then get them diagnosed by a psychiatrist and let the university know - they have to accommodate those with real problems, rather than those with personal preferences.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    No offence, but you're being ridiculous and won't survive in the real world if you're that fussy.
    None taken.
    I've done just fine so far - i get a few ,:confused: and :lolwut: looks but oh well. And all of you are taking this far too seriously, I was just considering it in a worse case scenario sorta thing. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    you sound really annoying, glad i'm not going to warwick.

btw would you ever kiss a non veggie?

ReputationRep:
    haha thats cool, do the normal ovens not suffice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    part of the fun of university halls is the mucking in and getting on with each other despite the foibles and irritations. it will be an issue for a couple of days and then you'll just wonder why you bothered making such a fuss about it.

(or, if you actually do have real problems, then get them diagnosed by a psychiatrist and let the university know - they have to accommodate those with real problems, rather than those with extreme personal preferences.)
    no thanks - they'd find out all sorts of scarier stuff and then put me in a straitjacket - i actually want to go to uni.

ReputationRep:
    None taken.
    I've done just fine so far - i get a few ,:confused: and :lolwut: looks but oh well. And all of you are taking this far too seriously, I was just considering it in a worse case scenario sorta thing. :rolleyes:
    we're taking you so seriously because it's such an outrageous and retarded request.

ReputationRep:

Thanks.

I had the same problem as you because I am also vegetarian and I don't like my food to be near or where meat has been, especially if its been spitting and people havent cleaned it up. But I don't think you will be allowed to take a mini oven... sorry :-( It specifically says you can't bring extra furniture or things like this, don't think you're even allowed a mini fridge in your room! Best to ask people nicely to try and keep the kitchen and appliances cleaned... or put a note up in the kitchen when no one is looking so its anonymous! Then they may think the cleaners did it...
    That's the other thing, there are cleaners who come into most Warwick accoms and they do a decent job of keeping things clean, so that's good to know too, you are not only relying on students keeping things tidy.

I was lucky, after the first few weeks people got better at cleaning up after themselves so there wasn't meaty crap everywhere. But I always used my own dishes/pans etc and then put them at the back of my cupboard or in my room, to make sure other people didn't 'borrow' them for their meat cooking. Ech. (Because people do sometimes take your stuff to use if they don't have enough of/can't find their own. And I hate sharing things like that, so I made sure I kept it to myself).

Nope. So either adapt what you like to cook so you have no need for an oven only a hob or if you do need to use an oven its to cook things like stews in dishes with lids on so there is no contact. What accommodation have you applied for? I feel for you if you've asked for somewhere like Rootes or Whitefields, simply because you tend to get more easy going people there who care less. I'm sure people through I was a weirdo when I insisted on a top shelf in the fridge to minimise risk of any possible milk leakage/other food spillage dripping near my food. When I was there the kitchen was clean but not obsessively clean but the oven was never a disgusting meat coated mess. Over the weekends when there was no cleaner it could get bad with the bins and general mess, mainly not clearing up after drinking etc. So if you start getting irritated by a kitchen which is clean other peoples standards then you might just irritate others, especially as the cleaners do a good job during the week. Overall though the message is try not to become obsessive and make a big deal out of cleanliness to the extreme and doing everything your way as this could potentially make getting on and being friends with people from the start difficult.

ReputationRep:
    You're technically not allowed but you could probably get away with it. Although I really don't see why you'd need one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aksan)
    You're technically not allowed but you could probably get away with it. Although I really don't see why you'd need one.
    Doubt you would get away with it, they take a hell of a current draw.

OP; learn to live with other people. You sound like you'll fit right in at Warwick. :rolleyes: (worrying, thats not sarcasm.........)

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with the oven if you have your own pans? Or is it just the fact that meat is within the same air-space? If so you could wrap the food in foil or something. And if you're really that bothered you could buy your own shelves (the grill type things, not sure what they're called..) for the oven.
    I'd be more worried about the fridge though, everything is packed in and most of the time something is leaking on your food (unless you get the top shelf), lots of stuff goes a bit rotten before being removed. I ended up having the majority of my food kept in the cupboard and freezer (though that may be more due to an unhelathy diet than a cleanliness issue...)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.