Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh_adele)
    Doubt it.
    Yah they do. its lucky as well because we would have had way more grill fires if the cleaner hadnt been there!

OP if you had an extremely sound cleaner you might be able to blag it but 90% NO.
    Also if you even screwed up cooking and set your room fire alarm off they would confiscate it & prob fine you.

You could put it in the kitchen if you wanted (I think...) but you would be unable to monitor it's use.

ReputationRep:
    Did you stress this point in your accomodation application? It could be important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eldop)
    Did you stress this point in your accomodation application? It could be important.
    what are you jabbering on about?

ReputationRep:
    To be fair. You get what your given. The cleaners clean hobs grills and stuff, every weekday. But you wont be able to keep that mini oven there. Unless you hide it

AV is pretty clean as it is. Pretty much half my friend are vegetarian (Being asian indians and that) and they have survived pretty well. I cook mostly vegi as well. But thing thing is you basically have to learn you can't be fussy at all. Like you'll either eat your food whether its touched meat or not, or you'll clean for ages until you like it then cook, or you just wont eat.

Seriously don't be fussy and just eat, I mean if someone cooks a chicken burger in the oven, does that render the oven useless till the next day. To be fair its only the grill that gets messed up by all the bacon fat, which i agree is disgusting, but gotta live with it.

~Amish

ReputationRep:
    Because there are meat particles in the air of the oven? Isn't that true for all oxygen?

Hehe oh well, no. You can't have it in your room, its a fire hazard, and you can't bring extraneous furniture into your rooms. The ovens are cleaned weekly though, and the only thing students bother to oven cook is pizza! (which doesn't spit or leak like a joint of beef would)

ReputationRep:
    Well you're lucky you're not going for Rootes, our kitchen looked like hell.....

But like someone else said, you're best off making things which are in covered pans or foil because you can't have any appliances in your room.

Good luck, I think you're best off just easing up and living you're life rather than worrying about a bit of meat grime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwantcheese5)
    Well you're lucky you're not going for Rootes, our kitchen looked like hell.....

But like someone else said, you're best off making things which are in covered pans or foil because you can't have any appliances in your room.

Good luck, I think you're best off just easing up and living you're life rather than worrying about a bit of meat grime.
    nomnomnom mmm meat grime!

Some guy in our kitchen suggested we keep all the fat off the george foreman to 'make a gravy at the end of the year'. Noone threw up on him but it was a close run thing...

ReputationRep:
    Meat grime makes my life

ReputationRep:
    It really shouldn't be a problem, because the ovens get cleaned every weekday. In fact, in my halls the cleaner covered the oven shelves in clean foil every day. So if meat got spilled on one, you could just remove the foil and have a clean shelf again. (Alternatively, you do what we did - nick the foil as soon as the cleaner leaves each morning, and never have to buy a roll of foil again )

ReputationRep:
    In exactly the same situation as the OP. Bought one of those ovens too. Applied to AV as top choice also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shonak)
    In exactly the same situation as the OP. Bought one of those ovens too. Applied to AV as top choice also.
    what a waste of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    what a waste of money.
    Yes. One suspects that when they say 'I bought' it was not their own money they were wasting but probably that of some well-meaning parent

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, you probably could get away with it if you really want to be that fussy.

Use the oven in the kitchen, then carry it back to your room so the cleaner doesn't see it. No-one's going to grass you up to the cleaners/wardens, I'm sure!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    Doubt you would get away with it, they take a hell of a current draw.

OP; learn to live with other people. You sound like you'll fit right in at Warwick. :rolleyes: (worrying, thats not sarcasm.........)
    To be perfectly honest the OP would drive me mad.

Just because you've met certain people at Warwick doesn't mean that everyone there is the same. See this thread for examples of people who are annoyed at the OPs idea.

ReputationRep:
    Was this thread deleted for a while there? Could not access!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keziah)
    To be fair, you probably could get away with it if you really want to be that fussy.

Use the oven in the kitchen, then carry it back to your room so the cleaner doesn't see it. No-one's going to grass you up to the cleaners/wardens, I'm sure!
    Cleaners will clean your room and see a massive oven..
    If theyr cool, they wont report but you cant guarentee that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    Cleaners will clean your room and see a massive oven..
    If theyr cool, they wont report but you cant guarentee that!
    Ohhh... I always forget that in the expensive halls your rooms get cleaned too. Craziness.

Are mini ovens just way worse than other kitchen appliances? I'm going back into halls this year, and will be taking the same as in first year - food processor, mini deep fryer. If I get involved in a cooking rota with my flatmates again, I'll probably bring back the steamer too, but it's not worth it for just one person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keziah)
    Ohhh... I always forget that in the expensive halls your rooms get cleaned too. Craziness.

Are mini ovens just way worse than other kitchen appliances? I'm going back into halls this year, and will be taking the same as in first year - food processor, mini deep fryer. If I get involved in a cooking rota with my flatmates again, I'll probably bring back the steamer too, but it's not worth it for just one person.
    Expensive :curious: what? I thought they all did this?

I think the main objection to the oven is that there is already perfectly adequate oven facilities available. Not saying you shouldnt accessorise in the kitchen (george foreman grill, steamer) just that if everyone brought one of these things it would be a big waste..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    Expensive :curious: what? I thought they all did this?

I think the main objection to the oven is that there is already perfectly adequate oven facilities available. Not saying you shouldnt accessorise in the kitchen (george foreman grill, steamer) just that if everyone brought one of these things it would be a big waste..
    err no, i think it's just the en suit ones that get their room cleaned. tbh i liked having my room messy. it's how i roll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    err no, i think it's just the en suit ones that get their room cleaned. tbh i liked having my room messy. it's how i roll.
    Cleaner hoovered, cleaned the sink in my Rootes room...
    That said she was pretty cool. :cool:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 13, 2009

University open days

1. University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
  2. University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.