Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Acoustic strings - what to buy? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I already play the bass, and I've considered re-teaching myself over the summer, so I can get the music theory I missed out on (sure, I know my major scales, and that's about it - it got me by, but now I feel like I've missed out). Anyway, this whole 'learning from scratch' has given me some new 'skills' in the bass (like I can finally finger pick, which, for some reason I always found impossible :rolleyes: ).

After all this, I want to restring my old acoustic. I used to 'dabble', but never really played it properly. I really want to pick it back and up and learn it properly over the next year, while I'm procrastinating in my student house. I've got one question though:

What sort of strings should I get for it?

It's an old (and I mean OLD) Palma six-string that I was given by a family friend. Anyway, the strings gave way eventually, because I never got around to changing them. It's been sitting stringless for about 2 years now, while I've been concentrating on the bass. I'll probably get someone else to string it up for me (cause it looks a lot harder to do than my acoustic bass). It's just, do I get light strings, extra light, medium? I'm totally out-of-my-depth when it comes to acoustic guitar...it's so much easier with 4 strings. :o:

ReputationRep:
    If it hasnt had strings on it for 2 years, the neck might be a bit knackered, so proabably get some 11s to ease it back in. It might need a setup on it but it all depends on the condition of the guitar.

ReputationRep:
    i think nylon strings are easier to play
    but steel strings sound better
    i think just get some basic, cheap, standard ones coz you don't know if you'll enjoy it or not
    and if you only spend like a fiver you won't regret it
    but if you do end up liking it you can pay a bit more and get better strings maybe afterwards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lapis lazuli)
    If it hasnt had strings on it for 2 years, the neck might be a bit knackered, so proabably get some 11s to ease it back in. It might need a setup on it but it all depends on the condition of the guitar.
    Thanks guys. I'm going to head down to some of the bigger music shoppes in Cardiff tomorrow and see what their prices are like for a full servicing, or maybe just restringing it. I don't know if it's worth taking the guitar with me to show them, to see what they suggest (though I might end up being told 'full service' even if I don't need one), or just to say that it hasn't been used for about two years, needs new strings, and it's fairly old, "What should I do?" sort of thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    Thanks guys. I'm going to head down to some of the bigger music shoppes in Cardiff tomorrow and see what their prices are like for a full servicing, or maybe just restringing it. I don't know if it's worth taking the guitar with me to show them, to see what they suggest (though I might end up being told 'full service' even if I don't need one), or just to say that it hasn't been used for about two years, needs new strings, and it's fairly old, "What should I do?" sort of thing...
    Whats the model of the guitar, tbh if its a cheap one its probably worth just risking it and shoving some strings on it. Setups arent cheap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lapis lazuli)
    Whats the model of the guitar, tbh if its a cheap one its probably worth just risking it and shoving some strings on it. Setups arent cheap.
    It's a Palma C103N.

Looking at it though, part of the nut has snapped, so it can only accomodate 5 strings, so I'd need a new one of those. Might be cheaper to get a new guitar? (Unless music shops will also swap the nut for a new one along with putting new strings on...without it having to be a 'full service').

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    It's a Palma C103N.

Looking at it though, part of the nut has snapped, so it can only accomodate 5 strings, so I'd need a new one of those. Might be cheaper to get a new guitar? (Unless music shops will also swap the nut for a new one along with putting new strings on...without it having to be a 'full service').
    A new nut should cost around a fiver clicky. You could just fit one yourself. Assuming the original isn't hard to move, fixing a new nut in place is quite simple.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.