Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anon or delete please.

I'm really worrying about swine flu. I have health anxiety (hypochondria) and - although I was getting better - since swine flu came into being I've been worrying all the time.

Anyway - I wanted to know if anyone has had swine flu on here who suffers from an underlying health condition such as asthma? Also, has anyone had it only very mildly? But still definitely been confirmed as swine flu? Because the posts I've read on here have suggested it's at least as bad as normal flu, whereas initial reports of swine flu cases in the UK suggested just a slight headache and feeling a bit under the weather.

Why I'm so worried: I'm an asthmatic and I've had a cough that won't go away recently. I worry that if I caught it now it could be very, very serious. I'm also supposed to be playing a football game tomorrow, although I'm pretty sure the guy driving me up has had it about a week ago.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had it yet :awesome:

I've not had it but a cousin of mine who is asthmatic and has pretty much everything wrong with him has and he's fine now.

ReputationRep:
    My sister is asthmatic, and she never gets ill. Eat your greens, avoid hospitals and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, haven't had it yet.

ReputationRep:
    Nope but my friend has it (probably) - it is impossible to tell as the medicine is prescribed based on symptoms which could easily be the result of seasonal flu or a whole range of other diseases!

Anyway, he's recovering and we're not so worried about him! Healthy lad should get through it fine.

ReputationRep:
    it is meant to be horrible....as bad as normal flu (which, despite the complacency of many secpetics is a ******* horrible thing to have. it almost certainly will not kill you./....but that wont be much comfort when you're pretty much immobile).

having said that, if you have health anxiety then it is probably the risk of it killing you or damaging you permanently you are concerened about....the chances of this are extrememly low. so dont worry

i cant believe i aint had it yet. 3 weeks ago 4 people in my core group of mates (we'd been out together as a 5 that week) all came down with it. i was the only one not to get it. my brother has also had it.

ReputationRep:
    I have it at th mo and I'm asthmatic, if you do get it, stay in bed, drink loads of water and take your tamiflu

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had it, despite everyone in the vicinity claiming to have it. The people I know who have it are healthy otherwise. I'm still not worried about getting it though.

(Original post by HEJ92)
    I have it at th mo and I'm asthmatic, if you do get it, stay in bed, drink loads of water and take your tamiflu
    Have you got it really badly? Hope you get better soon.

Only virtual swine flu. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I have it at the moment, but I've only got it mildly. The worst part is the headache, for me.

ReputationRep:
    Keep some of this in stock and you'll be fine.

http://www.wardy7.co.uk/wp-content/u.../swine-flu.jpg

If you start coming out in rashers, though you'll need to 'hoof it' down to the Doc's

ReputationRep:
    Is the headache the main symptom cos i've had a headache for like a week now and it wont shift but apart from a little bit of a runny nose and a tiny sore throat a coupla days ago and feeling tired, which is sorta normal for me anyways...just wondering could i have had it? cos these sorts of symptoms have been going round recently and i'm worried i may have exposed my 14 months old godson to it x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    If you start coming out in rashers, though you'll need to 'hoof it' down to the Doc's

Rashes is a sign?

Hmmm I've recently just got a little rash on my chest/belly..

Might have to get that shiz checked out.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have it, and it sounds silly, but I want it.

I'd much rather have it now when it's fairly mild and have some kind of resistance, than when it could get nasty later on, especially as I'll be in halls :p:

ReputationRep:
    I might have it, not sure, waiting till tomorrow and if I feel a lot worse I'll call the helpline. Cancelled today's plans just in case, kinda sucks lol because I was meant to be going out tonight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Keep some of this in stock and you'll be fine.

http://www.wardy7.co.uk/wp-content/u.../swine-flu.jpg

:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I dont know, a month ago I had a cold/flu but it lasted a week and I suffer from depression and if anything have been feeling more normal the only thing is I keep going to the toilet often in the morning and fine after about 2-3pm.

My friend I think has had it though since he has had the flu non stop for a month, a sore ear which is sensitive to sound, major grumpiness, blocked nose and feeling drained.

My dad did have it for at least a week though.

ReputationRep:
    How does it start. Just I've had a bad headache for about a day now out of nowhere an feel weak. Are these likely symptoms?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.