Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Have you got it really badly? Hope you get better soon.
    Thank you

Its not too bad, I've been asleep pretty much all week apart from to eat/drink, to take tamiflu and to use the loo, I've been quite bored tbh haha.

I guess its ok, I don't feel too uncomfortable apart from when it gets freezing then suddenly boiling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayyleyy)
    How does it start. Just I've had a bad headache for about a day now out of nowhere an feel weak. Are these likely symptoms?
    It could be one, yeah, but I work in a doctors surgery and the main symptom which we were checking people had before putting them through to the nurse prescribing tamiflu was a high temperature.

Also, someone was complaining of an awful headache and nausea after they began their course of tamiflu and the advice was not to take it if the side effects were worse than the actual flu symptoms, because in generally fit and healthy people, they should recover perfectly well without it anyway :yes:

ReputationRep:
    To Know If you've got it: Well, the NHS website is very useful but otherwise, Check first if you've got a temperature of 38C or above/fever. It'll have been sudden - a sudden cough is also a common sympton.
    If you've got two or more of the following symptons:

- headache,
    - tiredness,
    - chills,
    - aching muscles,
    - limb or joint pain,
    - diarrhoea or stomach upset,
    - sore throat,
    - runny nose,
    - sneezing, and
    - loss of appetite , you've probably got it.

Then the best thing to do is go to http://www.pandemicflu.direct.gov.uk They'll tell you more and will give you the information for getting antiviral stuff.
    If:

- you have a serious underlying illness,
    - you are pregnant,
    - you have a sick child under one year of age,
    - your condition suddenly gets much worse, or your condition is still getting worse after seven days (five for a child).

then call the GP immediatly - but DO NOT leave the house - get somebody else to pick up the medicine for you.

But don't worry if none of this applies to you - and the infection period (for an adult - children are a week) is the day before symptons show and when they're at their worst. It is the same as seasonal 'flu - it's just that more people have it so obviously the mortality rate will go up - there is also the worry of it becoming worse, especially as we go into the winter but once you've had swine 'flu you should be immune and won't be able to get it again.
    Other than Tamiflu and Relenza, you can always treat the symptons - paracetomal will bring the temperature down and help with the pain - and get a friend to go in and ask te pharmacist what you can take at the same time - dose yourself up (safely)!

CJ x
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    My mother has a very bad stomach 'thing'. It came on suddenly. She has been asleep all day. What are the chances of it being swine flu?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    My mother has a very bad stomach 'thing'. It came on suddenly. She has been asleep all day. What are the chances of it being swine flu?
    It could just be a 'stomach 'thing''. Just make sure she keeps an eye on her temperature and any other symptons from the list. She can use the NHS checker on their website which is really useful.

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColonelJammie)
    It could just be a 'stomach 'thing''. Just make sure she keeps an eye on her temperature and any other symptons from the list. She can use the NHS checker on their website which is really useful.
    To Know If you've got it: Well, the NHS website is very useful but otherwise, Check first if you've got a temperature of 38C or above/fever. It'll have been sudden - a sudden cough is also a common sympton.
    If you've got two or more of the following symptons:

- headache,
    - tiredness,
    - chills,
    - aching muscles,
    - limb or joint pain,
    - sore throat,
    - runny nose,
    - sneezing, and

Then the best thing to do is go to http://www.pandemicflu.direct.gov.uk They'll tell you more and will give you the information for getting antiviral stuff.
    If:

- you have a serious underlying illness,
    - you are pregnant,
    - you have a sick child under one year of age,
    - your condition suddenly gets much worse, or your condition is still getting worse after seven days (five for a child).

then call the GP immediatly - but DO NOT leave the house - get somebody else to pick up the medicine for you.

But don't worry if none of this applies to you - and the infection period (for an adult - children are a week) is the day before symptons show and when they're at their worst. It is the same as seasonal 'flu - it's just that more people have it so obviously the mortality rate will go up - there is also the worry of it becoming worse, especially as we go into the winter but once you've had swine 'flu you should be immune and won't be able to get it again.
    Other than Tamiflu and Relenza, you can always treat the symptons - paracetomal will bring the temperature down and help with the pain - and get a friend to go in and ask te pharmacist what you can take at the same time - dose yourself up (safely)!

CJ x
    Hmm I have had the runs for a few weeks now and general aches and pains and had a cold for a week but as said went away but still get a minor sore throat and been more drained than usual but with me its hard to check since I have depression so I have been feeling more normal probably because I aint been eating as much junk(could be loss of appetite but it works for me) and random sneezing, only once every few days but non stop for about 2-3 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    - headache,
    - tiredness,
    - chills,
    - aching muscles,
    - limb or joint pain,
    - sore throat,
    - runny nose,
    - sneezing, and

CJ x
    Not joking, I have almost all those symptoms and have only been sick just over 24 hours. But the thing is, I could probably have the normal flu and not swine flu at all. But how are people getting diagnosed with swine flu?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmK_89)
    But how are people getting diagnosed with swine flu?
    People aren't generally being tested anymore (in the lab) - just occassionally, for recording purposes I think - so it's hard to say what is swine 'flu and what is normal 'flu. But the treatment methods at the moment are pretty much the same. If you're really worried, call your GP. But first go on this site: https://www.pandemicflu.direct.gov.uk/ where there is a very useful checker. Though most people shouldn't even need tamiflu and get over it on their own, with a little help from our friend paracetamol - apparently many people may have already had swine 'flu without realising it!

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Everytime I want to go out my mum wraps me in clingfilm to prevent germs.

I'm still not sure about whether to go play football tomorrow - I'll have to get the train to Birmingham which is a hotspot supposedly, and I think at least one of the guys on the team may have had it, although presumably he's recovered now.

I've also still got this cough so obviously that could make thing worse.

ReputationRep:
    for gods sake stop worrying, i know people who have had it and they've hardly been at deaths door, its just like a bad case of the normal flu.

(Original post by bigman_ben)
    for gods sake stop worrying, i know people who have had it and they've hardly been at deaths door, its just like a bad case of the normal flu.
    I'm in the high risk group for any type of flu, being an asthmatic.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a hotspot. Me and my family have it, it's really not that bad (for me, I've been doing loads, repainting my room tomorrow) My family have been okay, have been a little rough, but it's really not that bad. I was talking about it the other day with my dad, who's a doctor, and he says you're less likely to die from it than normal flu. The media really blow it up.

And why did the above poster post as anonymous? Is it really that confidential you're asthmatic? xD

ReputationRep:
    I just don't want to get it this week- I'm going on holiday in a few days. If I get it ON holiday or when I come back it's all gravy. =]

ReputationRep:
    there will be a time when each one of us will know someone who has swine flu, that is when it gets worrying, hope it doesnt get to that stage, i for one know 2 people.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a sore throat, a cough, tiredness, constant nausea and close to throwing up for just under a week. Alongside a dull headache. I'm PRAYING this is a really mild version of swine flu, as I've been sneezing a lot today, so that I'll be fine to fly to Paris in September, and for my birthday in a month.

ReputationRep:
    I had it beginning of July. Was in bed for 3-4 days with a fever (this was when it was really hot too to add to discomfort), sleeping on and off all day. Pretty bad cough, headachy. Lasted a week tops for me. Basically like a normal flu? I have asthma too. I've bee told it's better to get it sooner rather than later anyway so wouldn't worry about it, hun. Only becomes a problem if you develop complications such as pneumonia, which is the same with all flus I think.

ReputationRep:
    My friend at school had it, she caught it at a conference, but weirdly enough, no one in her family caught it off her. I think it's just one of those things. She's completely fine now, but she said it was pretty nasty. Stay away from large gatherings of people (but don't become a hermit) and keep your immune system strong?

ReputationRep:
    No and I don't ever want to have it. :sad:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.