Turn on thread page Beta

Two British WWI veterans, dead in one week watch

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8168691.stm

Harry Patch died today, whilst Henry Allingham passed away around the start of the week, or thereabouts. This leaves no WWI survivors in Britain and only one British WWI veteran, Claude Choles who is living in Australia.

:rip:

ReputationRep:
    Oh no.

ReputationRep:
    Two great men.

RIP.

ReputationRep:
    Well they were old and had very long interesting lives. Everyone has to die sometime.

ReputationRep:
    Very sad RIP.

ReputationRep:
    The last British survivor of the World War I trenches, Harry Patch, has died at the age of 111.

Mr Patch was conscripted into the Army aged 18 and fought in the Battle of Passchendaele at Ypres in 1917 in which more than 70,000 British soldiers died.

He was raised in Combe Down, near Bath, and had been living at a care home in Wells, Somerset.

The sole British survivor of World War I is now seaman Claude Choules who is aged 108 and lives in Australia.

'Great man'

Henry Allingham, who served in the Royal Navy and the RAF in WWI, died at the age of 113 a week ago.

Mr Patch's biographer Richard Van Emden said he passed away at 0850 BST on Saturday morning.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown said: "I had the honour of meeting Harry, and I share his family's grief at the passing of a great man.

Mr Patch's biographer Richard Emden said he passed away at 0850 BST on Saturday morning
    "I know that the whole nation will unite today to honour the memory, and to take pride in the generation that fought the Great War.

"The noblest of all the generations has left us, but they will never be forgotten. We say today with still greater force - 'We will remember them'."

The Prince of Wales said nothing could give him greater pride than paying tribute to Mr Patch.

He told the BBC: "Harry was involved in numerous bouts of heavy fighting on the front line but amazingly remained unscathed for a while.

"Tragically one night in September 1917 when in the morass in the Ypres Salient a German shrapnel shell burst overhead badly wounding Harry and killing three of his closest friends.

"In spite of the comparatively short time that he served with the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, Harry always cherished the extraordinary camaraderie that the appalling conditions engendered in the battalion and remained loyal to the end."

'True gentleman'

Mr Patch served as a private at the Third Battle of Ypres - known as Passchendaele - from June to September 1917 when he was seriously injured by a shell explosion which killed three of his friends.

His friend Lesley Ross said she felt great affection towards him.

"Extremely modest, dignified gentleman, with a slightly wicked sense of humour and considerate to everybody he met. Very polite and I would sum him up as a true gentleman," she said.

Mr Patch was conscripted into the Army aged 18
    The Fletcher House care home said in a statement it extended its deepest sympathies to Mr Patch's family and friends.

Andrew Larpent, chief executive of Somerset Care, said Mr Patch died peacefully in his bed having been unwell for some time.

"His friends and his family have been here. He just quietly slipped away at 9am this morning," he said.

"It was how he would have wanted it, without having to be moved to hospitals but here, peacefully with his friends and carers."

BBC News
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8168691.stm

RIP Harry Patch.

ReputationRep:
    RIP Harry Patch. I salute you !

ReputationRep:
    Shame, Rest In Peace.

RIP Harry Patch.

ReputationRep:
    RIP Harry Patch.

ReputationRep:
    Brave man. It sounds like a...dignified death. Just how he would have wanted it, as the man said.

RIP x

ReputationRep:
    RIP Harry.

Thank you for fighting for the freedom of this country.

ReputationRep:
    And so we now lose one of the golden generations of modern British history.

RIP Harry Patch.

ReputationRep:
    That's so sad, RIP
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wow, 2 WWI veterans dying within about a week of each other, and both of them British. That's a shame.

RIP.

ReputationRep:
    Very unfortunate.

Patch also told some great stories in FHM.

RIP.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't see this thread and created a new one; I'll ask the mods to merge them.

ReputationRep:
    How sad :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Who?

EDIT: Oh right the 111 year old WW1 veteran who already has a thread?
    yea XD missed it while scrolling down looking for the thread, ah well, i'm sure a mod will delete this for me

ReputationRep:
    I had never heard of him but I click on this thread because I thought it said Harry Potter has died :facepalm:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.