Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I know this is pretty sad but I've always wanted to have a good estimate of my 'IQ', for interest's sake nothing else.

Are there any good, reasonably reliable online IQ tests I can take where the results won't take weeks to arrive by posts?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    just type "IQ test" into google and you'll get one.

But theres no point, I tried 10 and got results from 120-160.

40 IQ points is the difference between a dolphin and a moderately dim-witted human, so its just not accurate at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Hi,

I know this is pretty sad but I've always wanted to have a good estimate of my 'IQ', for interest's sake nothing else.

Are there any good, reasonably reliable online IQ tests I can take where the results won't take weeks to arrive by posts?

Thanks.

http://www.free-iqtest.net/

ReputationRep:
    They're rubbish. I get different results each time I take them..

ReputationRep:
    Not particularly on the internet. Take a Mensa test if you want a more reliable one.

IQ is, of course, a methodologically flawed indicator of the inherently subjective thing that we call intelligence though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    IQ tests mean nothing. Get good grades, they mean more and act as a more, even if slightly, accurate measure of intelligence.
    I think the first part is debatable, and the second part is just plain wrong.

IQ tests just measure certain types of intelligence, and exams only measure certain types of intelligence (although mainly memory).

Knowing your IQ is kind of pointless yes, but he is curious, and he isn't going to be taking it seriously.

Finally, I don't know of any reliable online IQ tests, you would be better off doing a Mensa one if you really wanted to know.

ReputationRep:
    120. I think I got the maths questions wrong. My mind doesn't think in numbers
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    145, but that website makes you go through a ridiculous amount of spam pages before it gives you your result.

ReputationRep:
    dont do them over the net they say there free and once you've completed them than they say they'll charge you

ReputationRep:
    If you want a good one, the Mensa one is probably most accurate but I think you have to pay to take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    IQ tests just measure certain types of intelligence, and exams only measure certain types of intelligence (although mainly memory).
    IQ is a pretty limited concept. Exams don't test memory, certainly you could argue history exams test memory. I think one of the problem is that people try to rote learn stuff and so they're a imperfect parrot of information. Certainly, in further maths I'm pretty sure the best memory in the world won't help you if you can't understand basic stuff like polar co-ordinates.

Another example is Psychology where people tend to argue you have to good memory to do that at A levels. However, I tend to see people who think its memory and not using any sense of reasoning and that lets them down in Psychology and not poor memory.

P.S. In conclusion I don't think exams test memory.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    IQ is a pretty limited concept. Exams don't test memory, certainly you could argue history exams test memory. I think one of the problem is that people try to rote learn stuff and so they're a imperfect parrot of information. Certainly, in further maths I'm pretty sure the best memory in the world won't help you if you can't understand basic stuff like polar co-ordinates.

Another example is Psychology where people tend to argue you have to good memory to do that at A levels. However, I tend to see people who think its memory and not using any sense of reasoning and that lets them down in Psychology and not poor memory.

P.S. In conclusion I don't think exams test memory.
    You could argue this, but you'd be wrong. 95% of a History exam depends on ability to analyse. I'd argue that it's the objective subjects like the sciences that are the biggest memory tests.

Online IQ tests are crap. I get results like 140 and I know I'm not that clever. They probably bump it up so that you can pay for the 'detailed analysis'.

Also, I'm sure there's more to it than just multiple choice Qs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vicious Fishes)
    You could argue this, but you'd be wrong. 95% of a History exam depends on ability to analyse. I'd argue that it's the objective subjects like the sciences that are the biggest memory tests.
    Yes, but you have to remeber key facts like who Hitler was and say who Trotsky is. If they ask you a question like how did Trotsky win the civil war then you would need to know basic facts like his use of generals or the fact that he had a special train.

On the other hand, if you get a maths questions like prove by induction that (1+x)^n \geq 1+nx, then thats to do with problem solving and logic. Not memory.

See science is objective, but you still need deductive reasoning. But, in history deductive reasoning is not that useful as things don't have to be logical. So you would have to have memory for history. But in maths and particulary Physics if your memory is wiped but you can deduce stuff then you would be able to do Maths. For example, induction is obvious if you think about ladders.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yes, but you have to remeber key facts like who Hitler was and say who Trotsky is.
    Well yes, but that's extremely simple, and you may as well say that for an English exam you have to know what a paragraph is, or for a Maths exam you have to know what = means.

If they ask you a question like how did Trotsky win the civil war then you would need to know basic facts like his use of generals or the fact that he had a special train.
    True. But it's the analysis of these facts and how important they are to the question that scores the top marks.

On the other hand, if you get a maths questions like prove by induction that , then thats to do with problem solving and logic. Not memory.
    But this is more than likely a question that you've seen step-by-step before and simply have to remember such steps (for example in C1 I remember a question asking you to prove the arithemetic equations, when in reality you just had to copy down the steps you'd learned in class). If not, then you're right, it would be a case of problem solving and raw intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    If you want a good iq test, go to mensa.
    online ones are ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vicious Fishes)
    Well yes, but that's extremely simple, and you may as well say that for an English exam you have to know what a paragraph is, or for a Maths exam you have to know what = means.
    Granted, but then in maths your not really tested at that in a higher level. But in History you will need to know who say Goring is and what was his plan as if they ask you about Nazi germany then your pretty screwed if you don't know what he did.

True. But it's the analysis of these facts and how important they are to the question that scores the top marks.
    But, your not giving the facts. Hence you need memory.

But this is more than likely a question that you've seen step-by-step before and simply have to remember such steps (for example in C1 I remember a question asking you to prove the arithemetic equations, when in reality you just had to copy down the steps you'd learned in class). If not, then you're right, it would be a case of problem solving and raw intelligence.
    C1, thats GCSE maths in another name. Seriously, AS level maths is just basic techniques I agree with that. But once you do Further maths it changes.

For example, M1 requires the abillity to visualise. If you take away the image then Mechanics gets pretty hard.

But, yeah I think your thinking that maths is like C1, which it is not.

P.S. I do agree with the fact that History does involve reasoning and not just memory. However, the small details that get you the marks really need memory. Plus, if you can remeber stuff about Goring for example then it makes it easier to argue that German economy was geared towards war before WW2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Hi,

Thanks.
    The one on facebook is pretty good because you can compare with your friends ^^ I may also be saying that because I got 135 on it...

If all else fails just google "free online IQ test". They are all about as reliable as eachother (and I know this from spending one afternoon doing IQ test after IQ test and getting roughly the same results )

ReputationRep:
    I really fudging hate the ones that require you to have a good idea of American history. It's clearly written for Americans, by a moron.

(Original post by FallenPetal)
    The one on facebook is pretty good because you can compare with your friends ^^ I may also be saying that because I got 135 on it...

If all else fails just google "free online IQ test". They are all about as reliable as eachother (and I know this from spending one afternoon doing IQ test after IQ test and getting roughly the same results )
    They're all just as **** as each other.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.